Subject: Wings of War and card based wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Bernhardt
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically play games with my wife or with friends. Given that many games genres focus on 4-player, I thought wargames might be an option to allow good 2-player functionality.

As a start off I have to say I don't have any wargames. But I have seen some info on BGG about Wings of War. Seems good fun. Card based which appeals, not overtly "wargame" which my wife will like, and relatively short game play time - under an hour.

What do folks in the forum feel? Is Wings of War a good gentle intro to wargames for a newbie? Are there other similar games I should check our before taking the plunge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife didn't care for Wings of War. The theme did not appeal to her at all.

But she loves Battle Line, which is also card-based but much more abstract (in fact, calling it a wargame at all is a bit of a stretch). It's the closest I've come to getting her to play anything with a military theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a good multi player game with a simple but enjoyable wargamish mechanic. It is easy to learn and can be played in under 90 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW could be strongly recommended for this purpose.

It is easy to learn and fun to play. A ton of extra chrome can be added to the basic rules, and this allows the play experience to gain depth as the pilots get more flight time.

However, it might be a good idea to buy a few planes. The miniatures add much to a session, and casual wargame players might find using the generic cards a trifle dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Ing
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very good easy to learn game. My wife is not into war games at all but will play this with me...it's the only "war game" she will play with me so to me it says a lot about the wide appeal. Side note, get the minis, she enjoyed playing the game more with the minis. We stick to the basic game but after a bunch of one on ones she actually wants to play with multiple planes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
There're a couple here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/751175/exciting-wwii-gam...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zulu Dawn: Remind your wife that the object of WoW is to shoot you in the back, she'll love playing it then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
nedzhik wrote:
I typically play games with my wife or with friends. Given that many games genres focus on 4-player, I thought wargames might be an option to allow good 2-player functionality.

As a start off I have to say I don't have any wargames. But I have seen some info on BGG about Wings of War. Seems good fun. Card based which appeals, not overtly "wargame" which my wife will like, and relatively short game play time - under an hour.

What do folks in the forum feel? Is Wings of War a good gentle intro to wargames for a newbie? Are there other similar games I should check our before taking the plunge?

Wings of War was recommended to me by members of this community as a good aircraft based wargame. I tried it and LOVED it. My boys like it too but not as much as I do. It's quick and fun and can be played over and over. Unfortunately the initial investment is significant. I got lucky and found the deluxe starter with minis for $50 from a local store. Otherwise you're shelling out lots more I think.

Highly recommended if you can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nedzhik wrote:

For what it is worth, my wife absolutely could not stand Wings of War. She hated trying the spatial element of it of trying to visualize where she would be. More often than once she messed it up with the cards and instead of doing what she wanted, she would put herself right in my sights. She also did not like the measuring aspect, or really anything about the game.

As far as lighter/introductory war games that she does like I can recommend Spearpoint 1943. As long as I take the time to pick out the cards for her, my wife will gladly play this game. While it is not strictly a card game (but has a large card element), my wife is also a fan of Manoeuvre. I think this game is a really good introductory war game. It has wargame staples like a Combat Results Table, Terrain bonuses, and Step Losses in a very easy to understand format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SeanXor wrote:

For what it is worth, my wife absolutely could not stand Wings of War. She hated trying the spatial element of it of trying to visualize where she would be. More often than once she messed it up with the cards and instead of doing what she wanted, she would put herself right in my sights. She also did not like the measuring aspect, or really anything about the game.

This was a royal pain in some other WWI air games too.
I'm thinking Blue Max and even Ace-of-Aces. I don't
know about WoW, but in those games, it was largely a
guessing game of where the enemy COULD be, and how to
line up a shot with simultaneous movement (clever though
the systems are).

Wings (probably my favorite WWI game) suffers from it as well
(though I think to a lesser degree). Richtofen's war totally not.
But, the game that IF I could get my head around would cover this
right (I think) is Knights of the Air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Perhaps, you could start her off with such? Dogfight; although, 'availability' may 'dissuade' on this some... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bernhardt
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, guys!

Thanks for all the advice. I will have to check out all those links.

Agreed, there does seem to be a signifiacnt initial investment required for the game but with the minis it certainly looks an attractive option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could start out with Wings.
devil

(just kidding)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Or you could start out with Wings.
:devil:

(just kidding)

Great game. Rules weren't terribly well done though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.