Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
After solving Into the Pit, I decided to give The Seventh Level a go. Heck, technically, DL3 places it between Passage through Mirkwood and the relatively easy DL4s we've faced so far. I tuned my all-Dwarf parties (I play solo with "two hands") and dove in.

I believe this is the smallest encounter deck we've seen so far. Only 3 sub-decks are included in it, all of them varying between 9 and 13 cards. This makes for a deck of 30ish cards when you take into account Book of Mazarbul is attached to one of your heroes at the beginning of the game. Speaking of the book, I attached it to Dain Ironfoot to allow him to quest while staying ready to buff his fellow dwarves. No worries, right?

Boy, is it tough. I've beaten everything FFG has thrown at me so far but this was a bitch. This is the first time a scenario is intentionally using a "swarming tactics", that is, a lot of weak enemies.

You basically start the game with 4 encounter cards in play and from there to the finish, it's a grind. Goblin Swordsmen and Goblin Spearmen make the bulk of the encounter deck and boy, are they annoying. They have just enough hit points (2) to keep them alive after passing through a questing Thalin and their ability to gain +2 ATK if their attack go undefended (Something we've seen only from shadow cards so far so we would sometimes take a guess the enemy didn't draw it) make it so you have to block them or risk losing one hero (In fact, at 5 ATK, Goblin Swordsman kills any hero printed so far).

On the second and final stage of the quest (Bah, only 2 stages you say? Well, the first one needs 15 progress tokens and the 2nd one needs 17 so...) you reveal two more cards from the encounter deck at the end of the staging step (That is, right after revealing the first 2) and add them to the staging area if they are enemies. In a deck composed of 60-75% enemies at this point, you will cry.

And forget about the "chump block" tactic too. Having cheap allies to block the first wave of enemies while you buff your heroes and take care of business after won't cut it. No matter what, you'll only have three heroes and I'm telling you, the staging area will be swarming with enemies. Gandalf/Sneak Attack is still helpful, but less than in other scenarios. He will help against the Cave-Trolls (Oh sorry, did I forget to tell you there were 2 Cave-Trolls as well?) but his ability to deal 4 damage is not as shining as it was in previous scenarios.

In the end, I had to sub Gimli (Sorry dwarf-buddy) for Boromir and use his insane ability to ready himself to take care of business. I can't count the number of times I readied him, both to defend and then to attack (Yes, I'm aware it raises my threat, I ended up at 48, thank you). I tuned my allies a bit, using Gondorian Spearman to deal the remaining 1 damage to most Goblins without losing him. I used Longbeard Orc-Slayer and his ability to deal 1 damage to every Orc in play. I used Descendant of Thorondor to snipe enemies in the staging area with 2 damage. Heck, I even thought about using Beorning Bee-Keeper, a card I was planning to use to patch a small hole in my roof.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Goblin Swordsman/Spearman's shadow ability is to put them in the staging area. So just when you think you are finally seeing the end of it, out of the 5-6 enemies in front of you, 2-3 of them pop shadow cards adding even more people in the staging area. And should you be unlucky enough to draw a Goblin Archer in the first 4 cards (Before you can get Thalin to quest), you're in trouble. And there's the odd shadow card giving an attacking Goblin +3 ATK to bring a hero down.

I would rate this scenario at least a 5-6 on the difficulty level scale and I must confess, I had a blast playing it. So far, the scenarios do an excellent job of forcing you to reconsider your strategies. There's nothing like a "One deck to rule them all" in this game.

This is my first session report, I felt like I needed to share it since I spent most of my Saturday grinding through this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Amen. This scenario is rocking me. Tried Rohan out (which beat Osgiliath) and got slaughtered. Even my Boromir/Eagles deck couldn't hold the tide back. I'm going back to the drawing board with some Dwarven might.

Gods damn Khazad-dum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Yes this one is really hard!!! Difficult 3 sound like a joke!!!

Is much more harder then HFG or DM or even Anduin. IS hard as JTR without Lore of Imladris. I only play it in solo and i win 1 game from 5. And this scenario is really tricky!!! You think you ok and then boom you have 3-4 goblins on round on the table. Watchful eyes is also very dangerous. Once i got all 3 on my heroes...... It was hell!!!!

Khazad-Dum is really cool!!! I wonna try it in co-op game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. I cant wait to pick up this expansion and see if I can beat The Seventh Level. I hate goblins and orcszombie

Good luck in your next try. Persistence from the Fellowship and Free People of Middle Earth will always defeat evil eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great session report. Makes me want to play the new expension too... can't wait for it until it gets out in germany/switzerland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this scenario and won first time, thought it was far too easy and moved onto the final and much harder scenario. I only played it solo though, I guess it is harder with more players.

All 3 scenarios worked great solo (with one deck). This is by far the best set of quests for the game yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Bilbo with Fast Hitch (or two) and a Burning Brand. The Burning Brand prevented the shadow card goblin from going to the the staging area, and Fast Hitch let him defend multiple times.
Really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodcroft
Canada
flag msg tools
My friend and I beat this on our first try, though it felt much tougher than a 3. I was trying out a new threat management deck (Boromir, Frodo and Dwalin), and all the low-health orcs in this deck gave Dwalin more than enough fodder to let me take full advantage of Boromir's and Frodo's threat increasing powers without getting out of control.

Boromir's readying ability is pretty fierce, but this was the second game in a row where his sacrificial power completely bailed us out, single-handedly killing four enemies that were starting to overwhelm my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thalin+Gondorian Spearman. Seriously, try it. These guys are the Khazad-Dum All-Stars. If you get two or three Spearmen on the board, those orcs just evaporate. Then you just have to worry about the darn trolls...

All of the scenarios in this expansion are quite challenging for different reasons. They're also terrifically thematic and creative. Great addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:
I tried Bilbo with Fast Hitch (or two) and a Burning Brand. The Burning Brand prevented the shadow card goblin from going to the the staging area, and Fast Hitch let him defend multiple times.
Really helpful.

Does this work, to defend multiple times in the same round? I thought you had to declare all defenders at once?

Edit: Nevermind, reread the rules. Yeah, I think a deck with that and Protector of Lothlorien(sp), the card that lets you discard to up defense and willpower.... combine that with Bereavor and you've got a winner, I think. And you can Forest Snare the trolls. Just need your third hero to be able to actually kill the orcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this quest last night with a tri-sphere deck of Dwailen, Dain Ironfoot, and Beravor. I had a bunch of low priced dwarf allies and with Dain Ironfoot giving each dwarf character +1 willpower and +1 attack, I had a pretty easy time with it. A few Goblin Archers came out pretty early when my Threat Level was only at 34 and I had no way to engage them since I had no characters with Range. I finally got Gandalf and Sneak Attack in my hand and that really helped. I never had to face a Cave Troll and actually thought this sceanario is correctly listed as a 3 Difficulty. I think I finished it in about 9 rounds and never lost a Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree wholeheartedly, this one is a bitch. I am drafting a review right now where I comment on this possibly being the most mis-labelled difficulty FFG has produced. I soloed it and it took me almost 10 tries to beat it. I don't think it's quite as hard as JTR without lores as someone mentioned, but it's definately up there with the toughest. I certainly found it more difficult than the DL 5 preceding it.

What is crazy is how the swarming mechanic increases dramatically with each enemy in play. It is not unheard of to engage 4 goblins and have each one result in a "shadow" goblin being added to the staging area doubling the number... has happened to me. And this on top of the 2 you are drawing in phase 2 anyway!

And you are right, this is also one of the most enjoyable scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
it is a great scenario - i enjoyed it, but didn't find it too difficult.

i used Legolas, Thalin & Bifur and Legolas, Gimli, Gloin. I used a lot of eagles which i know some people frown upon when playing Khazad Dum.

this scenario just really makes you think about who is going to attack/defend. I think this is probably the ONLY scenario where using tactics to form ~60% of the deck/heroes is the best strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
it is a great scenario - i enjoyed it, but didn't find it too difficult.

i used Legolas, Thalin & Bifur and Legolas, Gimli, Gloin. I used a lot of eagles which i know some people frown upon when playing Khazad Dum.

this scenario just really makes you think about who is going to attack/defend. I think this is probably the ONLY scenario where using tactics to form ~60% of the deck/heroes is the best strategy.

I would agree that this scenario heavily favors tactics, which I am always thankful for since it always gets a bad rap.

Eagles in Moria is ridiculous, but no more ridiculous than appointing Bifur the Steward of Gondor. I always try to justify the cards in my mind by changing names... i.e. Chancellor of the Iron Hills rather than Steward of Gondor. Luckily gaining the Gondor trait is still mostly meaningless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
mdeuber wrote:
Really helpful.

Does this work, to defend multiple times in the same round? I thought you had to declare all defenders at once?

Edit: Nevermind, reread the rules. Yeah, I think a deck with that and Protector of Lothlorien(sp), the card that lets you discard to up defense and willpower.... combine that with Bereavor and you've got a winner, I think. And you can Forest Snare the trolls. Just need your third hero to be able to actually kill the orcs.

I'll be damned, just reread the rules and I believe you are right! All this time I've been thinking each character can only quest, attack, and defend once upon which they are exhausted and committed for the phase. This might change my game and deckbuilding strategy!!

Thanks for pointing this out, it's pretty huge knowing that enough ready effects can have a defender like Dain blocking an entire round of engaged enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
i belive fast hitch is an exclusive club: Hobbits only...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.