Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday one of my gaming buddies received his copy of SDE, and we quickly proceeded to taking the game through its runs...

... well that's AFTER spending 2+ hours gluing the bits together

These are just my first impressions - one shouldn't judge a game on its first play-through. So take it all with a pinch of salt.

1/ Figurines + Glue = joy or pain?
A lot has been said about the rather peculiar surprise when you open the box. Now, I used to be a big plastic model fan so you could argue I enjoy gluing bits together. But in this case there are some ridiculously small parts to put together (tails, anyone?) and some pieces can be kind of a puzzle (no assembly instructions). So overall it's not a fun experience at all and you can't imagine how often we were cussing trying to assemble the pieces! Big thumbs down to soda-pop.

2/ Component quality
The figurines are quite good quality, and the board, dice and counters are decent. The playing cards on the other hand are abysmal. Printed on flimsy cardboard, and a lot of printing errors on some of the loot/treasure cars. The box itself feels like a slightly stuirdier pizza box. Some, meh, overall ok I guess but I've been spoiled by FFG

3/ Rules
They look kind of nice, but poorly written. You know how it is on a first play-through, you're constantly referring back to the rules... but they are organised in such a way that it makes that process painful. I think this is soda-pops first game? It shows in how the rules are layed out.

4/ Playing the game
I won't go into details how it plays, plenty of material on that. It didn't make much of an impression on me. Again, as with all first play the game doesn't really flow due to rule-book-flipping, but when I compare this to other first plays, it left me a bad impression. Hard to put my finger on why. I was kind of... bored? Weird for a dungeon crawler.

I love the theme, and I can see the video game influence everywhere, but well it didn't quite gel with me. I think e.g. there's a lot of book-keeping (especially for the Consul = DM) and very little player aids to do that, it really slows the game down. And things like area effect spells and buffs that can last a whole turn while pieces are moving about, makes it painful to constantly figure out who's being affected by what. Unlike video games, there is no aura projected on the ground that moves with the character.

I'd have to play it a second time, with better mastery of the rules, to really get a sense of how good the game is. I do want to, so there's enough there to keep me interested.

So long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with all that you've said however after having played a few more times I have to say I like the game (and hope soda pop keeps churning out games like these).

I also feel that it's a bit hard to keep track of some effects, especially those with auras. I think it would be nicer if those auras only lasted for the period of activation because sometimes the Consul will just forget what is active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supamanu wrote:
but when I compare this to other first plays, it left me a bad impression. Hard to put my finger on why. I was kind of... bored? Weird for a dungeon crawler.

Could it be the 'Dungeon Crawling' aspect itself?
Dungeon Crawling for me evokes an image of exploring an unknown layout, not sure what lay around the next corner, of being wary of Traps etc.
In that aspect, Super Dungeon Explore is just a tactical Hack and Slash against hordes of enemies who throw themselves at the heroes like lemmings, set in a dungeon.

Perhaps an unfair comparison of Dungeon Crawling would be Warhammer Quest, where the heroes had a quest to complete but didnt even know the layout of the dungeon, what monsters they would face etc.

Is it the lack of mystery in Super Dungeon Explore?
Thats my take on it anyway, I love this game as is but would love some things to add a random element to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why they couldn't make a clear yellow (or other color) plastic "aura" that represents area effect spells. For that matter it shouldn't be too hard to make one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
I don't see why they couldn't make a clear yellow (or other color) plastic "aura" that represents area effect spells. For that matter it shouldn't be too hard to make one...

That's a great idea. Maybe I'll try it with colored acetate sheets (I think that's the correct term for what I'm thinking ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game and in general, the components are not as bad as I first thought. The only minor problem I had was sometimes the counters would split when punching them out, but nothing drastic that a little bit of white glue couldn't fix. The cards are flimsy, but once sleeved they don't seem too bad. The boards look fine but the miniatures leave much to be desired considering how many pieces a person has to glue together in order to create one figure. I'm sure they could have designed miniatures with less assembly required.
I am looking foreward to painting the miniatures; once assembled and to eventually play the game. I just hope it's as fun to play as so many gamers on BGG have claimed it was otherwise I will need to look elsewhere for more reliable information angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.