Chris Payne
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I misunderstanding something or are the rules on start player a bit quirky?

Four players are sitting around the table clockwise from USA – Belgium – UK – France.

The start player on the first turn is randomly chosen and turns out to be USA. So, they roll the dice.

Since everyone starts with zero cards, then the first action on the first turn is (probably) always going to be to draw 2 cards.

As I read the rules, then start player on the second turn is also going to be the USA? I can’t see anything where it moves around the table subsequently.

Eventually, by dint of successful die rolling and card play the USA player escapes and receives surveillance tokens equivalent to the cards left in his hand. This is not modified downwards by the remaining unescaped two POW’s.

The other players by virtue of having three unescaped POW’s each reduce their surveillance total by 9 and end up with zero. (I accept that barracks cards and informant cards could produce different results). The new start player is the player with the most unescaped prisoners (tie for Belgium/UK/France) and then next criteria is player to the left of the last person to escape (USA) so it becomes Belgium.

As I read the rules, Belgium is now the start player on subsequent turns until the next escape, at which point things are recalculated.

Or to put it another way, the start player – i.e. who rolls the dice and has first chance to escape, thus triggering a roll call if successful – is always the same, and this does not move around the table until a re-calculation is done after an escape.

Am I correct?
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Arévalo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi, the first of all is im sorry about the rules, really it arent very clear in english.

The start player at the first turn is randomly chosen. Then, the starter player roll the dices (3 objects dice and the runaway dice for the first round) and then all players draw 2 cards. Then the starter player goes first and do an action. The the turn goes to the next player clockwise, when he or she do his or her action the turn goes to the next clockwise player and so on.

When a prisoner escape (or when the deck runs out of cards), the starter player is the player with more non escaped prisoners tokens. In case of tie, the starter player is the player with more non escaped prisoners tokens and with more surveillance points. If tie persist the starting player is the player with more non escape tokens and with more surveillance points closest player in clockwise to the player who escape with his prisoner token.

In your example is perfect, the Belgium player is the starting player. When another prisoner escape we must look for the next starting player following the rules for the starting player: (When a prisoner escape (or when the deck runs out of cards), the starter player is the player with more non escaped prisoners tokens. In case of tie, the starter player is the player with more non escaped prisoners tokens and with more surveillance points. If tie persist the starting player is the player with more non escape tokens and with more surveillance points closest player in clockwise to the player who escape with his prisoner token)

If in your example belgium starts and the game goes and France player escapes one of his prisoner tokens and Belgium and UK have luck and dont take surveillance points. USA and France have 2 prisoners tokens and Belgium and UK 3. Then the next starting player is Belgium because have 3 prisoner token as UK but is closest to France in clockwise position. Belgium take the dice, rolls it and then all players draws 2 cards and belgium take the first action.

I hope the answer can help you.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Payne
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oscar,

Thanks for the confirmation that my understanding was correct. I thought I understood what you meant, and it was just a bit unusual of how the start player could move around. I've seen it elsewhere - not least in 18XX where the first share purchase token in a turn moves around the board.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.