Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a good correspondence chess (turn-based) computer program that I can play with some distant relatives. I did a quick search, but the results were overwhelming. I'm hoping that one of you has some experience here that you might be willing to share.

I'm looking for a program that is fairly simple, free, and is cross-platform (I use a Mac and they run Windows). Any thoughts? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Boulan
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of a program, maybe you should consider a website.
http://www.redhotpawn.com/ is the one I use. Its' free, keeps track of your moves, and is automatically cross platform.
The downside for this site is that you have to pay to have more than six games going at once, but that hasn't been a problem for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The website I use is www.gameknot.com and you can play 12 games at the same time for free and above that you pay like 6 bucks a month if you want to play more. Unless you are a fanatic, 12 games is A LOT. 4 to 6 is my comfort zone.

You log in, make moves in whatever games you want to, log off. Three days later or whenever, log in and move again.

It's got a chess news feed, you can print games you've played, look at anyone else's games, save your past played games, daily mate-in-three or tactics puzzles...

One game can take 2 weeks (fast) to 3 months (slow).

Very cool site. My brothers and several friends have signed on and we chat as we play games.

It was my main way to communicate with little brother when he was in Afghanistan.

Challegne man_or_astroman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those sites both look promising, however I guess I was looking for something that might just be always present on the desktop.

My father is not-exactly computer-savvy to say the least; I worry that having to find a website and log in every time might be too daunting for him. I thought this would be easiest for him if it was just always on his desktop he could just open it and make his next move. Or even if it had a notification in the icon similar to new message icons in email clients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can remain logged on for an entire month at least.

And if the browser is open, it can be set to beep when it's your move. Although, that all has to be set up.

I'm not sure how daunting setting up an account is. You could set it up then call him and walk him through telling him the password and what not.

If my mother in-law can master face-book, your dad can get gameknot's basics down! And if he can play chess, he can figure it out!

1) Open Internet.com
2) go to gameknot.com
3) click 'my games'
4) click which game says 'your move'

Then when he's got that, show him 'analyze', he can go foward with different lines of play to see how his move would look 2, 3, 4, 5 moves down the road.

Then it's 'conditional moves', where if he can program an automatic response to one of your moves.

Then he's sending you funny pictures he's found and links to this and that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man or Astroman wrote:

Then he's sending you funny pictures he's found and links to this and that...

Oh god, and I thought I had put plenty of distance between me and his puns

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for RedHotPawn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"itsyourturn.com" is free, has a good list of games, and is very reliable. Give it a try.

You can set it up to notify via an e-mail if you like that kind of thing.

Also, I would show him how to set up favorites/shortcuts on his browswer so they are always visible at the top. I'm amazed by how few people actually use this functionality. Just shorten the name to 3 or 4 letters per link and you can keep quite a few sites available on one click.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.