Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mb
Yesterday we played 5 games of The Resistance, of which the third game was most interesting. We played with 8 players, I'll just call them A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H were A is me, B is the one on my left, C on B's left etc. We played with plot cards and I was a member of the Resistance.

First round
C was the first player and drew 2 plot cards, both of which were Overhead Conversation (look at a character card of your neighbour). He gave them to B and me. At this point I trusted C because he gave the card to his neighbour, which is dangerous if C would be a spy (B could look at his character card). I chose to look at the card of B so I would know if I could trust him (which was important because he could see a character card too). I saw a spy. B looked at my character card and said to the group I was a Resistance member. Then I said to the group he was a spy. The group was suprised (why would B say that I'm a Resistance member) and concluded B was a spy and they were not sure what I was. So there was already a lot of information even before the first vote, kind of interesting. Then C proposed a team of him, F and me. Since there was not really a reason to do something else everyone except for B (since it was clear he was a spy) approved.

Team: A, C, F
Approved by: A, C, D, E, F, G, H
Result: 1 failure card
0-1
Plot cards: none

Second round
Then I could conclude that C or F was a spy. D was the leader and drew 2 plot cards: 2 times No Confidence (Veto an approved vote). He gave them to me and to E. For the team, he tried mostly new people namely G, H, himself and me (since they trusted me). Again, everyone except for B approved the vote.

Team: A, D, G, H
Approved by: A, C, D, E, F, G, H
Result: 1 failure card
0-2 already...
Plot cards: B: opinion maker, E: No Confidence

Third round
Then I could think things out. There were 3 spies. One was B since I saw his card, one was either C or F and one was either D, G or H. That meant E was a Resistance member for sure (still understanding? :S) . The group decided it was going really bad so they should trust me, which was fine by me. E was the leader and drew 2 plot cards: Opinion Maker (Vote first for the rest of the game) and Take Responsibility (steal a plot card). E gave Take Responsibility to me (although she realized my only option was stealing her No Confidence (which I did)) and Opinion maker to B, because she trusted F and G (based on their behavior). That's also why she wanted herself, F, G and me in the team, but I said I trusted C (because of the Overhead Conversation in the beginning). That was the point where I realized it wasn't dangerous because B was a spy too and could just lie. So I trusted E and she chose F, G, herself and me for the team. C wasn't happy because he knew F was a spy (we knew either he or F was a spy). D and H weren't happy to because there was a great chance G was a spy (D, G or H was a spy). So the votes:

Team: A, E, F, G
Approved by: A, B, E, F, G

So suddenly B approved the mission which was strange because he had never done that. I realized he as a spy wanted this team so I concluded I didn't want this team, so I played No Confidence (although I approved before). C, D and H however rejected which they wouldn't do if they were spies (it would work otherwise). Maybe C would because he was the first to vote and didn't want us to know he was a spy, but D and H wouldn't. Then F was leader and selected a team (which was not what I wanted of course because I wanted D, E, H and me in a team), so I said that I would expect the resistance to reject the team.

Team: A, E, G, H
Approved by: B, F, G

Approving was of course a mistake of the spies, so all the spies were known and it was easy to wait until a resistance member was leader and form our team (H for the 1-2, me for the 2-2 and C for the 3-2), which worked.

3-2
Spies: B, F, G

So a few mistakes with the spies, but that's ok for the third game. I think we learned from the games and nobody will make these easy mistakes again. By the way, the statistics of the other games were:
Game 1: 7 players - no plot cards: spies won
Game 2: 7 players - plot cards: resistance won
Game 3-5: 8 players - plot cards: spies won 1 time, resistance won 2 times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwah ha ha! Can't believe F tried to pull that. Shouldn't he have at least put himself on the team? And then they tried to approve it? Crazy! Although, you're right, usually the 3rd game is the best game of the night. We've played a couple, everyone understands, and it just comes down to a slugfest of logic and non-verbal communication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, why did you vote yes to mission 3 after B voted yes with Opinion Maker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
flag msg tools
You can't fall when you've hit the bottom
mbmbmbmbmb
An exposed spy should probably just vote against every mission suggestion, regardless of actual composition of the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mb
Jythier wrote:
Bwah ha ha! Can't believe F tried to pull that. Shouldn't he have at least put himself on the team? And then they tried to approve it? Crazy! Although, you're right, usually the 3rd game is the best game of the night. We've played a couple, everyone understands, and it just comes down to a slugfest of logic and non-verbal communication.

You're probably right. But it was his second game (he skipped our first game) so he didn't know which strategies would be good. I had the impression he liked to have others on the team so there was a greater chance for it to be improved. Something like that at least.
Jythier wrote:
Also, why did you vote yes to mission 3 after B voted yes with Opinion Maker?

My mistake... C was the one with Opinion maker so I only knew B's vote after I voted myself.
Knave wrote:
An exposed spy should probably just vote against every mission suggestion, regardless of actual composition of the team.

Yes, I think so too. That's what we all learned that evening

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Knave wrote:
Even better is when they vote yes on missions with only Resistance. This works to sow doubt in the good players' minds.

You guys gotta vote no more! Also at the start I figured C would've been bad. It'd be an excellent use of those two plot cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
flag msg tools
You can't fall when you've hit the bottom
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Knave wrote:
Even better is when they vote yes on missions with only Resistance. This works to sow doubt in the good players' minds.

No.

Good resistance players look for patterns. If an exposed spy votes "no" at every opportunity, he provides no further information to resistance players. If the exposed spy tries to be "smart", he risks providing information to the resistance.

I have won many games as the resistance when an exposed spy tried to be "misleading". Only an extremely skilled spy should be misleading, and there are not many of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.