Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come to realize recently that the engine building games are some of my favorite: Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, Dominion to name a few. I just really enjoy games that let you build your farm/kingdom/etc. from nothing into a large thing that just works. I'm looking for something more along the lines of Agricola, though, but perhaps simpler so I can actually get my family to play it with me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
This just screams At the Gates of Loyang. It's from the same designer as Agricola, but Loyang is much more about building your engine to fulfill orders. Loyang will allow you to start small, building in small chunks, and eventually, you'll have a juggernaut of an engine, filling orders left and right.

I don't know that I'd say that Loyang is much simpler than Agricola, but it's definitely friendlier to the nongamer. My wife doesn't like Agricola, but does like Loyang. In Agricola, you can feel like you're barely one step ahead of ruin, trying desperately to figure out what to do to scrounge up those two food before harvest. Loyang is much more about building that engine, and with the drafting system, you very rarely feel stuck with an option you don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove would be another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More sounds like just the ticket. Cheap, enjoyable, relatively light engine builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Glen More is one of my favorties for this, it's engine building, but with some puzzle aspects of how you can maintain the engine and still add to it.thumbsup

Another I would recommend on the cheap is Innovation, it doesn't have bits to push around, the engine is just points/"money" creation, but if you get a well honed combination of cards put together it truly feels like an engine. The game has it's flaws (it's pretty chaotic at times) but if you go in knowing what to expect it's a real joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freitag
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Boom
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you already have San Juan, which is essentially the same mechanics and gameplay.

My personal favorite in this realm is Airships, although some may not enjoy the dice aspect.

Others that I would recommend off the top of my head are Saint Petersburg and 7 Wonders. I feel like there are many euros with this mechanic, but I can't think of more at the moment.

Also think about picking up almost any other deck/dice builder. The more popular and (in my opinion) simpler ones are Eminent Domain, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, and Quarriors!.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
This just screams At the Gates of Loyang. It's from the same designer as Agricola, but Loyang is much more about building your engine to fulfill orders. Loyang will allow you to start small, building in small chunks, and eventually, you'll have a juggernaut of an engine, filling orders left and right.

I don't know that I'd say that Loyang is much simpler than Agricola, but it's definitely friendlier to the nongamer. My wife doesn't like Agricola, but does like Loyang. In Agricola, you can feel like you're barely one step ahead of ruin, trying desperately to figure out what to do to scrounge up those two food before harvest. Loyang is much more about building that engine, and with the drafting system, you very rarely feel stuck with an option you don't like.

Y'know, I was avoiding At the Gates of Loyang previously for two dumb reasons: 1) I'm not a fan of Klemens Franz's art and 2) I don't like Asian themes much. But when you suggested this game to me I decided to actually watch a review or two before passing judgement. I did just that and I'm now really interested in AtGoL and will see if I can play it or just acquire it myself. It does look simpler than Agricola in a way, and I think my family would prefer not barely surviving but prospering. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Homesteaders may be exactly what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pssst! Hey, Donald X... Please make "Engine Builder" next. Thanks. whistle

Edit: forgot to add +1 Homesteaders, also I haven't tried it personally but Barons looks interesting. OOP now, but I hear more are coming in the next couple of months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cjp0605 wrote:

Good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjp0605 wrote:

Dominion is an Engine builder imo.
I reckon he has an engine builder in his designs.
I heard before he got Dominion published he had over 10 games ready. So, I think you will see his name on game boxes for a long time to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao is an interesting engine builder, plays well with 2-4, has an interesting dice action mechanic, and is light enough to interest casual gamers, while offering enough deep strategy to keep a serious gamer intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I like La Città quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Outpost
The Scepter of Zavandor
Phoenicia

Are the best engine building games I have come across so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know Eminent Domain combines both the Dominion and Race for the Galaxy type feel and game. Best of both worlds to a degree.

You mentioned you liked both those games, so I imagine Eminent Domain would be right up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I now have a lot of games to look up. I'm thinking Eminent Domain sounds great for me because of how much I love sci-fi.

And if any of you happen to have one of those games for trade I might be sending a PM your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Locomotive Werks lets you build all of the engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I now have a lot of games to look up. I'm thinking Eminent Domain sounds great for me because of how much I love sci-fi.

And if any of you happen to have one of those games for trade I might be sending a PM your way.

Might be one on the saltcon math trade, might wait till then, or test it at saltcon...that is if you are going to a convention in your state

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
colmustard21 wrote:

Might be one on the saltcon math trade, might wait till then, or test it at saltcon...that is if you are going to a convention in your state

Thanks for mentioning Saltcon, I forgot about a game convention in Utah since I've been out of the state since 2009. It used to go by a different name and was held in August, so I'm glad to know about this, Should be fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre ....oh...simpler than Agricola...

I will definitely +1 Glen More and Homesteaders.

Macao was mentioned and I'd put that in the maybe category...but the other Feld that might work better is - The Castles of Burgundy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oktavia W.
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
I've come to realize recently that the engine building games are some of my favorite: Agricola, Race for the Galaxy, Dominion to name a few. I just really enjoy games that let you build your farm/kingdom/etc. from nothing into a large thing that just works. I'm looking for something more along the lines of Agricola, though, but perhaps simpler so I can actually get my family to play it with me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I highly recommend Puerto Rico, and I would like to give +1 to Homesteaders as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet once it comes out (soon!!!)

all those mentioned above and puerto rico x2 though its not a classic engine builder in my mind

x2 on glen more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have a good train game in your collection, Railways of the World is one of the best engine-builders I know. Start with nothing but eager investors, and create and operate a continent-spanning railroad! It's a good family game, and very attractive on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Outpost
The Scepter of Zavandor
Phoenicia

Are the best engine building games I have come across so far.

Well sure, but they're all the same game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.