Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been this way for some time now and it is a terrible design. Is this ever going to get fixed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
have you not set a shortcut to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
If any curious Geeks stumble across this question, here is a link which might be helpful:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamesubdomain/4664/wargame...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:
have you not set a shortcut to it?

Well it's not for myself I say this. I can find it easily because of that, but if I came onto this site for the first time today and I was interested in learning more about war-games, I might just give up or, even worse, go to consimworld and have to use mid-nineties website design to find the information I want.

It's like this; I'm not an old timer and I haven't been playing war-games as long as some of the fans. That doesn't mean that I don't think that they should be put in a niche. Miniatures already get too much attention and I think that if more young people realized that they didn't have to pay hundreds of dollars for their army and a space to set it up in, they would find regular war-games to be just as fun or more fun!

Also consider the popularity of "strategy" video games like Ruse and warfare simulations like the Call of Duty series, I think that war-games are as marketable today as they ever were, if only the right subject matter is covered. Honestly the only use I have for video games now is for sports games, because the simulation is just a matter of figuring out the AI's weakness. With a real player, it's more like actually going up against another commander, who is willing to take risks and throw you a curve-ball.

So basically it comes down to 'what's good for the hobby.'

I get it: some people hate war-games. If there is an easily accessible link, they can ignore it. I do it all the time if I see something I'm not interested in. Who cares? On a site with so much information, why not make the war-game section easier to find?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm. Not sure I follow. Across the top of the front page I have these huge picture-icons of all the basic game categories, if I hover my mouse over the one on the far right that says "War Games" a menu pops out that says Games / Forums / Images / Videos.

Not sure how it could be any easier to find than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts on that is that it should be under the text link that says forums. Everything else is under that, and I look at one-word text links before images.

Besides, above even those images are three links: Boardgames (which you would think included war-games), RPGs, and Video Games (?!)

yes I know there is a (subdomain) thing which goes to war-games, but it doesn't really bring up the link I'm talking about and it wouldn't take you to the place you would go with a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LgRangeContactPatrol wrote:
My thoughts on that is that it should be under the text link that says forums. Everything else is under that, and I look at one-word text links before images.

Besides, above even those images are three links: Boardgames (which you would think included war-games),

Erm, they do include war-games. And Strategy Games. And Family Games. And some others besides.

What you don't have is the forums for those board game subdomains listed in the main listing of general forums. To be fair, you don't have the forums for individual games, game companies, designers or the like listed in that main listing of general forums either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.