United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day, video game designers spent their time designing gameplay first, eye-candy second.

Yeah, the games from those halcyon days can be pretty dreadful to look at. But it was the play that kept people engaged and coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Warlords was a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlords on the 2600 is not much to look at, but wicked fun with 4 players.

Everybody needs to have the StellaX emulator installed on their machine and then visit Atari Age in order to find the ROM files needed to relive the glory days of the 2600.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Ugly wins are still wins!
mbmbmbmb
PinkPiggy wrote:
I'm still excited. I'll have to open the phone book and call someone.

The kids won't know what your talking about first with the Atari and then dropping the "phone book" reference.

Sweet action though, even my wife thinks that is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always wondered why Atari hid the 2600 version of Pong so deeply in the catalog. I get that they would not have wanted the 2600 (then VCS) to be thought of as a Pong console. But I don't know why they would not have wanted the brand name to be more recognizable in the cartridge library. Oh well, just one of those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm still kicking myself for letting my parents get rid of my 2600. Never again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
M.U.L.E. was the best game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
WARLORDS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have over 300 atari 2600 carts, and i have plenty of duplicates.

send me a geekmail of what your looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
M.U.L.E. was the best game ever.

Was? I haven't kept up with video gaming the last few years, but has something bettering it finally been released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Back in the day, video game designers spent their time designing gameplay first, eye-candy second.

Yeah, the games from those halcyon days can be pretty dreadful to look at. But it was the play that kept people engaged and coming back.

The vast majority of these older games are best left in the memory. Gameplay (as well as looks) have drastically improved in most games. I know the games I devote many hours to these days aren't because of the eye candy.
There's still some very cool older games though. I think its the arcade type ones that hold up best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dion wrote:

The vast majority of ... games are best left in the memory.

FTFY. Sturgeon's law always applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I continue to believe that the primary reason E.T. has the shitty reputation it does is that less than 10% of its actual userbase read the instruction manual. The rest is just cultural inertia.

Taken on its own terms, E.T. is not only far from the worst Atari 2600 game but a marginally ambitious one as well. It is dull. That is its failing. But it is not incomprehensible, as is often the accusation. If anything, it is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is this: how did you get it to hook up to a flatscreen?

I had to go buy an old, junker T.V. at Goodwill in order to use my Atari console...it was that or spend more than I'd spent on the console + catridges to get a funky adapter.

So? Howd'ja hook it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spacejack wrote:
I continue to believe that the primary reason E.T. has the shitty reputation it does is that less than 10% of its actual userbase read the instruction manual. The rest is just cultural inertia.

Taken on its own terms, E.T. is not only far from the worst Atari 2600 game but a marginally ambitious one as well. It is dull. That is its failing. But it is not incomprehensible, as is often the accusation. If anything, it is too easy.

I think I was one of the small % that actually liked the game, because it was kinda different.

I liked Raiders of the Lost Ark too for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. I find that older games have more depth, character and finesse than the millionth third-person action RPG of today's mass production, and also require more thinking. Back in those days, designers were preoccupied with innovation, finding new and unique ways to introduce more fun. Today, the industry is preoccupied with improving glitz and not with being an advocate for the player. I am grateful in some way that my laptop can no longer keep up with the system requirements of new games and I have to return to replaying or discovering old school games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.