Hide
3 Posts

Battleship Galaxies» Forums » Strategy

Subject: ISN fleet Strat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
msg tools
I have not been able to try this on any one of great skill level. I have only be able to play my wife so far and she is not all that great at strategy games.

But I feel like I have a great ISN strat that should help level the playing field VS the wretch. Forgive any stat or fact errors I am at work and cant double check it right now.

You will need
Everest any level +1 damage hero highly recommended.
Hawks seasoned/ prefer vets for counter
Torrent Vet
Sparrows any
Rook Vet
Sparrows and Rook are what I like you can use the Barrage here instead.

This is more of a formation to keep to then anything else.

Everest on point with torrent flanking it to either side and slightly back.
Your sparrows and Rook on opposite flank of the torrent.
Your hawks are going to be places behind the Everest with at least one touching the torrent as well.

What this formation will do is make it so any ship wanting to fight your Everest or Torrent will have to be almost on top of the Everest to be able to hit one of the hawks to take them out first. Any ship that flies strait at your formation will be attackable by almost all of your ships and their weapons.

Since the torrent will be giving all ships within two spaces of it the +3 range your Everest should be able to snipe most ships as they move up to you and even your hawks will be able to fire threw the Everest to ships that do get in range to attack them.

Pros:
Great for holding a point
Ok at attacking a point. Sit just outside of their range and snipe them forcing them to move off the power tile or sit and take it.

Cons:
Your flank with the torrent will be weak Can bolster this be splitting the sparrows or hawks (keeping at least one behind the Everest) up and spreading them out along your flanks to keep enemy from out flanking you and taking out your hawks.

On levels with asteroids I would saw keep your Everest flank with the torrent right up on the asteroid. Makes it take longer to move behind you and can have hawks near that as well to get the extra miss change.

Counters:
Range card for Fate will allow shots at the hawks but this can not be done by them on every turn and cost a lot of energy to recover the card and play it again.

Charge from the Tes Kio for boarding party. Target either the Everest or the Torrent or both.

Let me know your thoughts. Would love to hear some feedback from two skilled players that tried it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Martin
msg tools
You're strategy is pretty valid, though there are some weaknesses. One thing to keep in mind is that the blue hawks can only protect only small and medium ships. So in your deployment the everest is still vulnerable to ranged attacks. This is why I tend to keep it in the rear, or side of the Torrent. Barrage (vet) goes up front to provide long range / AA against incoming fighters.

The veteran barrage doesnt neccesarily even need blue hawks near it for protection as you have to be within 2 spaces to fire on her, however I've found keeping her within 2 spaces of Torrent makes her a fairly deadly sniper that is perfect for screening the big guns following close behind.

You also have to resist the urge to go after lone gun ships on the field. This is what happened to me and my buddy the other day when he launched tes kio at me to attempt to board the barrage. I knew he was gonna attempt to board and I wanted to tes kio out of the game so badly that i risked everything and went after it. I was able to basically knock her out but he still managed to get a boarding party on her before I totally destroyed it. Hijack plan is devastating to ISN ships and I think it's ridiculous that the wretch player can continue getting the card back and replaying it with little risk. Worst case scenario they lose 10 energy or so per turn to deal 3 damage. Best case they capture the ship! The ISN really has no counter against this beyond holding formation and hammering on ships attempting to board then attempting to turn and run when they get close enough.

We are gonna play again today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Martin
msg tools
Tried my strategy out today.

Lost 2/3.

My buddies strategy with the Wretch is to launch Vapors fate with Tes Kio being transported. Once he gets within 1 turn moving range for tes kio he launches her. He then proceeds to get within boarding range and attempts to board as many of my ships as possible. The only counter that I can see to this is to concentrate as much fire as possible onto Tes Kio and try to destroy it before it gets too close. I also attempt to surround ships that are likely to be boarded with fighters. This works to a limited extent in that it makes him have to destroy the fighters first before attempting to board. Which means he usually has to move fates reach just a bit closer for some added firepower.

First game (loss)was totally my fault. I should have concentrated fire on Tes Kio and instead got distracted by Vapors Fate. Ended up being boarded on 2 of my ships and from there it was a slow and painful death. Including some very lucky hits on everest that resulted in her death whilst carrying barrage. At that point I forfeited.

Second Game (also a loss) Had some really bad luck. I managed to wipe out Tes Kio pretty early and she was only able to board one of my vessels. Vapors fate found a shield regen tile and basically just sat on it. Despite my repeated hits superior shielding saved the day. I probably hit tes kio with 25 points worth of damage but superior shielding just absorbed all of it (A sad day for the ISN) Meanwhile everest was continually hammered by fighters and vapors fate and couldnt hold up. With just Barrage and Torrent (boarded) I was still unable to get vapors shields down and slowly was whittled down to nothing.

Third Game (VERY CLOSE Victory) My opponent actually managed to draw all 3 of his boarding parties on his initial hand so wasnt able to use Tes Kio in his regular fashion (Cant attach from hand must be from draw pile). He instead launched So Bwa Tet and Red Tougo's. I figured he was going to try to board with so bwa tet after launched all his fighters from the mixed formation platform. But thanks to some concentrated fire from everest, Torrent and Sparrows was able to destroy the vessel before he could get his Fuvo's into play. At this point he deployed Vapors fate (Carrying Tes Kio yet again) Tes Kio was able to board the torrent but not without taking significant damage and I was able to destroy her before any hijack plans / boarding director were put into play. From this point Everest and Vapors Fate started hammering away at eachother and just prior to Fate's destruction was able to sneak in close and board the everest. Now all my opponent had left were Tougu's hiding around the board. I began to seek out the tougus and taking roughly 6 damage per turn from hijack plans. Then my opponent got a lucky 8 and managed to take control of everest (Though at this point she only had 3 hull left. Everest was truly a tank at the point she was captured as she had 2 twin rocket launchers and 3 hero's onboard; making her a nightmare to deal with. Fortunately I still had a veteran Barrage to deploy (as well as two squadruns) and was able to snag an alien artifact. Destroying tougu's was pretty fruitless as my opponent had all 3 of his spectral resurgences ON HAND. A lucky nuke shot or two later and everest finally ate the dust and barrage was finally able to take out the remaining fighters. That was by far the longest game we've ever played on dead zone (and also the closest)

So my analysis of the strategy. It can work; but it requires severe discipline and a bit of luck. A good wretch commander knows that it is totally worth it to get boarding parties into play and will be willing to sacrafice capital ships to use them. ISN has to play the odds and hang back whilst concentrating fire on the big boys. The ISN is good at range but stinks close in.

Feel free to chime in. I havent abandoned the ISN, but I think its obvious that boarding + hijack plan is WAY overpowered (even though its expensive). Especially when you consider that the wretch player gets the card back every time its used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.