Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
there really is not much inforation to base a decision on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't, but there is this:

Description:

Enemy Action: Ardennes is the first in a series of card-driven war games on pivotal operations and campaigns in World War II, from John Butterfield, designer of RAF, D-Day at Omaha Beach, Ambush! and Hell’s Highway. Each game in the series allows for play by two players or one player, playing either side in the conflict.

Enemy Action delivers fun, tense wargaming with a focus on command and capabilities:
- Low complexity with constant decision points for both sides;
- Two-player competition;
- Solitaire play of either side with an innovative system governing enemy command and tactics;
- Card-driven impulse system, with multi-purpose cards that can be played to activate formations, implement command events, or gain tactical advantages in combat.
- Diceless and chartless combat system – players draw combat chits that build a narrative of each combat.

EA: Ardennes portrays the German offensive against the western Allies in December 1944 -- the Battle of the Bulge. Each player controls the German or Allied (US and British) side. If playing solo, the game system controls the other side.
- Map scale: 2.5 miles per hex. Hexes are oversized for easy counter handling.
- Unit Scale: Regiments, brigades and divisions
- Time scale: One day per turn, with several impulses in each turn.

Preliminary components for EA: Ardennes –
- Three maps, each portraying the entire Ardennes battlefield -- one for the 2-player game, one for Allied solo play, one for German solo.
- 110 cards
- 504 .65” counters
- Several player aid cards
- Three rules books – one for each game.

Developed by John Foley. Scheduled to be published by Compass Games Summer 2012.

How could you not like a low complexity Butterfield design that delivers fun, tense wargaming with a focus on command and capabilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Preordered.

I've liked Compass' products so far both production- and design-wise, and find this an interesting fresh creative approach to an oft-simulated topic. In short, it sounds like fun.

Plus, despite the publisher's awareness that production costs will rise above original projections, Compass is holding the door open on the original pre-pub price until the end of January. I decided that this move deserves my support as a gamer who likes to "make my dollar holler."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
that is one big reason i preordered too the holding price for an extra month despite knowing costs will increase.

They have the description but they have no information on how card driven this is, is it similar to d-day? I doubt it since though the same designer it is not in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@347.aZQNcdud6TL.72@.1dd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:

How could you not like a low complexity Butterfield design that delivers fun, tense wargaming with a focus on command and capabilities?

Pretty much what I thought as I hit the launch button! I'd still love more info on what I'm getting though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm totally on this boat. I asked a question in this forum for an update but did not get one.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/650491/development-updates

The only reason I purchased it was 1) Butterfield 2) price increase next month 3) if I dont like it I can sell it and not lose money due to price increase 4) solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
there really is not much inforation to base a decision on.

Tons of information here:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@257.7060cUab66y.12@.1dd4...

Most wargame development talk is done at ConsimWorld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took the plunge before the pre-order price went up. I just couldn't resist a Butterfield design for my first Bulge game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.