Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to buy another game! Puerto Rico! I just want to know what peoples thoughts are on which version I should get. The original for around 30-35 dollars on Amazon, or the special anniversary edition for 65-70 dollars on Amazon? Are the components THAT much better that warrants the cost being twice as much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned both (the original passed through my hands in trades, but I had it long enough to get a feel for the parts). There's absolutely nothing wrong with the original, but it does look plain compared to the Anniversary Edition.

Here's a great comparison thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
You get both expansions with the special edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jarvis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the anniversary edition as the extra cost is about the same as buying the expansions separately. Very happy with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you suggest buying the base game and add the expansions later? Or should I just bite the bullet and get everything in one purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jarvis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played the expansions as yet. So I couldn't comment on how good they are (I'm sure there will be a review of them on here though!) I bought the whole set as I loved the game and wanted the better components as well as the option of the expansions if I wanted them. I guess I could always sell the expansions on ebay if I never used them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would absolutely go with the anniversary edition. If for no other reason than trade/resale value. If a lot of people look to upgrade then the older edition is going to flood the market and it will be difficult to get a good price. Between that, the expansion included and excellent components I say go big. Of course I am really good at spending other peoples money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be hard to get the expansions separately if you want them. Then again, I never play with the expansions.

I have the original and have seen the anniversary edition. The price difference is NOT worth it in my opinion. However, if I had to buy a new version now I would probably still get the anniversary edition. So my advice is: if you can shrug $30 away, spend them on the anniversary edition. But if you cannot spend $30 on a frivolity, get the regular one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me like it is split down the middle for reasons to get or not get the anniversary edition! I might have to get my hands on an open copy to see the differences for myself! Thanks for all the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brdk18 wrote:
It seems to me like it is split down the middle for reasons to get or not get the anniversary edition! I might have to get my hands on an open copy to see the differences for myself! Thanks for all the input.

Well, you may want to hurry. Rio Grande says that they've sold out of the 7000 copies they printed. What's left in the distribution/retail chain is all there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightglider1 wrote:
brdk18 wrote:

Well, you may want to hurry. Rio Grande says that they've sold out of the 7000 copies they printed. What's left in the distribution/retail chain is all there is.

Thanks for the warning!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the anniversary edition. Seems like a no-brainer. Games retain much of their value, this was a limited print run, etc. ... If you don't want it later, likely you can get much of your money back. With original PR, I agree that secondhand copies will be cheaper than normal due to the Anniversary Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to lean towards the Anniversary Edition. I feel it will be kind of like Carcassonne for me. I bought the base game not knowing if I would really like it. I love it now and am getting lots of the expansions. I should have just bought the Big Box to start out in the first place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the anniversary edition.

i was originally planning to get PR classic, but loved the fact that expansions came bundled with it. I'm not even sure where to buy the nobles expansion for the base game, and it looks like the Alea treasure chest @ $20 is the only way to the expansion buildings

if you're new to the series, the anniversary edition will be a "one stop shop".

and if you're unhappy with your purchase, turn it around and sell it in 6mo when it's long out of print to make a modest profit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.