Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after reading the most recent living rules, I was under the impression that a group that had more than one ship, could fire all at once, provided they all had the same desired target. The reason I thought this was because of:

Space Empires 4x Rulebook p.5 wrote:

5.3 WHO MAY FIRE
Only units with an Attack Strength may fire. A combat unit may
fire at any enemy unit in the system except at a unit that is screened
(see 5.7). If ships are part of the same group, they may still fire
individually and at different targets. In the Advanced Rules, Fighter
Squadrons may also fire (see 11.2), and they do so independently
of their Carriers (see 11.1).

So by "may" being present, I took that to mean optionally.

However, in the Condensed Clarifications v1.0 in Section 5.0, it states in the second bullet item:
Condensed Clarifications v1.1 wrote:

All combat fire is ordered (5.2) and resolved (5.5) one ship (and thus one die roll) at a time.

Which confused my initial interpretation. Thoughts?

EDIT: HTML Formatting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a difference without a distinction. If you are firing more shots than it may take to kill the ship you should roll them one at a time, so that after it is destroyed you may pick a new target. If you are not, then you are essentially firing all at the same time.

From a game rules standpoint all the shots happen in a sequence. From a practical standpoint, there is nothing wrong with rolling a few dice at a time if you know all the ships have the same target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessicatz Fairymeadow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
If you have ten ships and you roll ten dice to target one enemy ship, you are potentially cheating. If one die out of those ten hits, what happens to the other nine dice? If you reassign those to a different target, you cheated by cherry-picking the one winning die, so don't do that.

Either roll all shots in a clear sequence, one at a time, or discard all the other dice that didn't hit as thematic "misfires".
Rolling like that is a bad decision gameplay wise, it will just cause trouble with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.