Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I was wondering if perhaps the RFTG vets thought playing a 6 player game of RFTG + TGS + the extra set of action cards from RvI is feasible?

I ask because I have a gaming group of 6 who I think would enjoy this game, but I don't want to get into the RvI deck with them, as they've never played RFTG.

Specifically, I am interested if people who have played this game frequently think that the base deck plus TGS will provide a big enough deck to handle 6 tableaux plus 6 hands plus the discard pile, etc., or will the deck be so thin that there will be lots of reshuffling and not much variation in the card draws?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could run short late in the game. I think there are 130 to 140 cards in the combined deck. That's about 22 cards per player. A player could have 10 cards in hand (plus a few to discard,) 11 in tableau and a few goods (or perhaps 25 per player.) So with 5 players it's enough, but not for 6. Pick up Rebel vs. Imperium to play with 6 (you can always not use the extra rules and just use the cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It's not officially supported, but will probably "sort of" work.

I know of a group who played the base game with 5 players all the time (fifth player calls out their action after the other four place their action cards); the draw deck at the end of their game was often down to 10 or fewer cards. You may have the same experience playing just TGS with 6 players.

Playing with more than the intended number of players does affect the game -- since the draw deck is cycling so much and being picked over, card hoarding becomes far more important.

A better solution would be to add 23 cards from RvI (about half that expansion), concentrating on a balanced and simple subset, along with the 6th set of action cards:

Rebel Cantina start world (need another pay-for-military power in set)
2x Gal. Advertisers (helps dev strategies and New Economy)
2x Imperium Troops (more Imperium for Imperium Lords to key off)
2x Merc. Fleet (military "glue" for big Military strategies)
2x Gal. Salon (to help Produce/Consume)
Devolved Uplift Race
Smuggling World
Dying Colony
Rebel Convict Mines
Interstellar Prospectors
Insect Uplift Race
Gene Designers
Alien Uplift Chamber
Alien Monolith (for big Military)
Rebel Stronghold (for big Military)
Prospecting Guild (for tableau strategies and a bit of Terraforming)
Gal. Exchange (to help Produce/Consume)
Gal. Bankers (for dev strategies and deficit spending tactics)
Uplift Code (adds Uplift strategies, making Genes more interesting)

This avoids the text-heavy Takeover cards and most of the "new rules" cards (Hidden Fortress, R&D Crash Project, Pan-Galactic Research).

Adding Alien Monolith and Rebel Stronghold makes "big Military" important, despite not adding the Rebel Alliance and Imperium Seat 6-devs.

All you have to explain is A) ignore the Prestige symbols on a few cards and B) the Mix w/ your hand Explore power on Smuggling World and Prospecting Guild.

This subset is a bit dev heavy, but that should be ok since the Gathering Storm was a bit dev light. I haven't tested this, but it should work for you. Enjoy!

Edit: corrected post to refer to Hidden Fortress, per comments below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
This avoids the text-heavy Takeover cards and most of the "new rules" cards (Salvage and Retrofit, R&D Crash Project, Pan-Galactic Research).

Did you mean Retrofit & Salvage, Inc.? If so, don't bother looking for this card, as it's an exp #3 (BoW) card, NOT from exp #2 (RvI)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I was gonna suggest the Death Star (Imperium Planet Buster) but I think that's in BoW too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
I was gonna suggest the Death Star (Imperium Planet Buster) but I think that's in BoW too.
It is. If not playing w/TO, then it's an expensive but cool way to get 9pts and 3 military (ignoring the TO effect... aka "burst effects" icons)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:
This avoids the text-heavy Takeover cards and most of the "new rules" cards (Salvage and Retrofit, R&D Crash Project, Pan-Galactic Research).

Did you mean Retrofit & Salvage, Inc.? If so, don't bother looking for this card, as it's an exp #3 (BoW) card, NOT from exp #2 (RvI)

Whoops, mixed up Hidden Fortress (RvI) and Retrofit & Salvage, Inc. (BoW). I corrected my post above. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.