Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous game at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/750969/earth-9216-game-7-old...

Flush with victory, I proposed another game of Risk Legacy (and when I lose, I'm usually ready for a rematch and revenge right then- I could probably have played through these first 8 games the first time we played if I wasn't trying to stretch things out).

The others agreed; Jason had sated his need for revenge on Ron (which I termed "Ronvenge") and was looking to join the club of two-signers.

SPOILERS

9 minor cities placed, Player Eliminated, Player Signs Board Twice, and 3 Missiles packets and boxes have all been opened. These contents will be discussed in the open after this warning.

SPOILERS

Having just won, I figured I'd be a target. And if not, I was hoping for the chance to grow and open up the 30+ troop box (while a loss would hopefully let me add a 4th star to Egypt, making it a potential World Capital site)

Jason won the right for first pick in the draft, which stuck me at the end. Not surprising, he took the first placement. There wasn't a lot of surprise in faction choice- Barry continued with the Mutants, Jason and Ron traded off the Enclave and Die Mechaniker, and I... well, I felt the Resourceful power of the Saharans had made things too easy, so I opted for Khan Industries, wanting the extra troops for expansion and protection from the inevitable attack.

The German mercenaries had a bit more potential this time. Being outnumbered in nukes, Jason chose one that prevented any missiles from being played in combats with him. Barry chose one that let him start anywhere EXCEPT a major city, so started in the Fallout Zone. Ron's let him start in any major city, but by the time he placed, the only valid one was the one he'd placed. And I got a card that fortified my HQ, as long as I had 8+ troops there. At least I'd be safe the first turn...

1.Jason- Die Mechaniker, Russia(HQ is fortified, Convincing, +1 troop in Mercenary territories Bad Intel, deny a continent bonus)1 missiles
2. Ron- Enclave of the Bear, Northwest Territory(Defender subtracts 1 from his lower defense die; Well Armed- Add 1 to all of your attack dice when attacking an HQ)1 missile
3. Barry- Mutants, India. 2 Missiles
4. Scott (me)- Khan Industries(place one troop in each territory you control with an HQ)
Unplayed- Imperial Balkania, Madagascar(Round up when recruiting, Stealthy, Bringers of Nuclear Fire, Interference, force a player to draw a different resource card)
Unplayed- Saharan Republic, Southern Europe(You may maneuver at any point during the turn, Resourceful, may collect resource card for expanding into a city, Recon, take another resource card instead of a coin card)
The list is updated with the come-back power Die Mechaniker took after being banished to South America last game.

Not having a major city, I decided Madagascar offered me the most protection. With the Fallout Zone, Barry would get to see constant troop growth, and anyone who tried to take his HQ would be punished.

Khan Industries is our least played faction (well, except the Mutants), but the best record- 3 wins in 3 games. I can only imagine the description of poorly trained troops is a turnoff. Enclave and Die Mechaniker had featured in every game, and while Die Mechaniker have held on each time, the Enclave has gotten two wins, but is also the only faction eliminated.

Resource Cards
I got screwed up on the list somewhere. I'll have the updated end of Game 8 list at the bottom.

Scars
Bunkers protect Alberta, North Africa and Middle East. Afghanistan, Western Australia, and Western Europe are plagued by ammo shortages. Russia and China both serve as staging areas for mercenaries. Argentina and Indonesia are biohazard zones. There is a big, glowing crater in India. The scar definitions at the top are all filled in, so we're not expecting more scar cards.

Cities
Major cities in China, Middle East,Russia, and Northwest Territory. Minor Cities in Brazil, Western US, Eastern US, Scandinavia, and South Africa, Central Africa, North Africa, New Guinea and Indonesia.

Continents
Prime Earth's Africa is now Scottland. Asia is Greater Scottland.

The Game Begins

Standard expansion into territories- Jason grabbing Europe, Ron in NA, Barry claims his major cities (and begins digging in at the Middle East's bunker) and moves to Australia. I start my slow expansion through Scottland, cursing each lost troop as I take a city. I'm also slow because I try to maintain a mech in each city, in case of the uprising event (I am reminded of Civilization, and using tanks as police force). I also maintain a healthy border along the north, wondering if it will be Mutants of Die Mechaniker who cross first (and somewhere in my head is the merry thought that if I can get 8 troops in Madagascar, it's considered fortified).

Jason Defeats Scott!

That was probably the headline printed up in Dewey Defeats Truman style. Jason went for the quick win, using cards to built up his army (and I think I was out of position to deny him the Europe bonus troops). He struck east and west, carving through the poor defenses of the Enclave and the Mutants (and I could not believe how much it hurts to have to root for the Mutants). Since he prevented missiles to be used in combat, I couldn't even help. Northwest Territory was his, and he accepted the losses for taking the Fallout Zone- wouldn't matter if he won, right? The rest of his armies marched through Egypt and East Africa, finding stern defenses. My men in Madagascar were outnumbered, but this thin gray wall was the only thing that stood between Jason and victory. They had to hold, and though it went to the last man, they HELD! 3 HQs placed Jason so close to victory, and yet, still so very far away.

The 30+ Plan

Jason had thrown just about everything he had into the attack. If he won, it wouldn't matter. But he lost, so Barry and Ron reclaimed their HQs, and I retook Africa. People were starting to get spread out- Die Mechaniker troops still moved in North America, and they followed the Enclave across the landbridge to Greater Scottland, where both prevented Mutant domination.

I was content to quietly build, claiming South America as my own (which provided an annoying bit of bookkeeping- I'd stick a reinforcement in Argentina each time, then almost forget to pull him back out for the biohazard). The battles in Northwestern Territory meant there was no one strong enough to stop me from claiming Western and Eastern US with their cities. This only tied me with Barry for population, but it at least meant he wouldn't get a free 3 or 5 troops from events.

Missions had largely been ignored in our games. The dice seemed ready to stop anyone who tried to conquer 9+ territories in a turn. But the current one seemed feasible- conquer 4+ territories over sealines. Starting in Egypt, I made a quick thrust into Southern Europe, then through the weak Western Europe so I could take the lines to Great Britain, Scandinavia, and Iceland. I turned in the mission and collected a red star, taking the Rally ability.

Seven population, more territories than anyone else, and 6 points of continent bonus. But, I still lacked the cards to put me over the 30+ troops recruitment. I was very secure in my homeland, but Barry was building up in the Middle East. After my defense of Madagascar, I felt I had earned the right to win this game, so that's what I did. Russia fell easily, and Barry did put up a strong defense of India, but couldn't keep me out. 3 HQs and a red star, I went to sign the board again.

Choosing a reward was easier this time- I placed the last major city in Madagascar, naming it "Fortress Africa". The dice were with me and I held, so I honored those determined defenders. This had the side effect of making Scottland the most populous continent- 5 population between the cities, edging out North America and Greater Scottland at 4 each.

I was a little disappointed by this- I had come close to recruiting 30+ troops, and I still had both my rockets. Also, a win meant I couldn't put another coin in Egypt, so it still wasn't eligible for the World Capital (and I'll be damned before I let that get placed in Scandinavia or China, or at least get placed there by someone else).

After the losers placed their coins, here are where we stood:
Resource Cards
5 coins: China
4 coins: Scandinavia
3 coins: Russia, Eastern US, Egypt, Southern Europe, Alberta
2 coins: North Africa, South Africa, New Guinea, Northern Europe, Argentina, Kamchatka, Indonesia, Northwest Territory, Greenland, Ontario
No Card: India

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game designer Rob Daviau said in this thread --->Questions regarding 3 Missles hidden packet;

RobDaviau wrote:
Having all sorts of issues with posting on the geek today.

Let me try again.

Mutants ignore the effects of the fallout territory completely. However, they may not start there as it is marked. Boy, is it ever marked.

When they do go there though, they can then treat it like a Bio-Hazard Scar, according to the rule book.

Having there HQ in the fallout marker makes them way to strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, no, it's not a valid spot. However, Rob had posted translations for a bonus pack released in Germany, which we're using.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of the draftable options is Nomad: You cannot start in a territory containing a Major City, even if you founded it. All other unoccupied territories, regardless of any marks, are legal starting territories for you.

We took that to mean the Fallout was available. If it proves too strong, we may change in future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected good sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem like a crazy good spot for the Mutants. But, seeing as the Mutants haven't won yet, I'm not too worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.