Subject: Can you use a commodity as a resource when you purchase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say can you use two rock, two wheat and a coin to buy a city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Afraid not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay thanks. Do you have a qwuote from the rules I can use for back up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the original English edition (goes with third edition Settlers), not the most recent. Under section 5, "Commodities," the rulebook goes out of its way to distinguish commodities from resources: "You may exchange 4 of the same commodity for 1 of any resource or commodity," "Some progress cards specifically mention 'resources' or 'commodities.' These cards can only effect [sic] the type of raw material they specifically mention."

It doesn't specifically say you can't use commodities as their corresponding resources for building, but it's implied pretty strongly since you can't do that for trading. Nowhere does it say or imply that you can use commodities as their corresponding resources for building.

I don't know what the most recent rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
I've got the original English edition (goes with third edition Settlers), not the most recent. Under section 5, "Commodities," the rulebook goes out of its way to distinguish commodities from resources: "You may exchange 4 of the same commodity for 1 of any resource or commodity," "Some progress cards specifically mention 'resources' or 'commodities.' These cards can only effect [sic] the type of raw material they specifically mention."

It doesn't specifically say you can't use commodities as their corresponding resources for building, but it's implied pretty strongly since you can't do that for trading. Nowhere does it say or imply that you can use commodities as their corresponding resources for building.

I don't know what the most recent rules say.
IIRC, that's the jist of what Mayfair 3rd edit. rules say. One specific example I remember is the tech tree that lets you trade 2 of the same commodity with the bank for one of any resource..... there was mention that commodity means commmodity, NOT resource like sheep, wood, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Commodity is commoditiy and resource is resource.

This is and has always been the fact in Cities & Knights in all published editions and is not subject of change for future editions.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.