Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to get some book recommendations from ya'll for some good books on the Battle of the Bulge. To give you an idea of what I am looking for here are some authors and books I quite enjoy by them and their style of writing:
Antony Beevor (Ive read Stalingrad, D-Day, Berlin the Downfall, and the Battle for Spain all have been excellent)

David Halberstam (Currently reading 'The Coldest Winter' and its excellent)

Stephen Ambrose (Politics/history aside his style of writing is excellent)

Rick Atkinson (I have not read the first 2 of his Liberation Trilogy yet but have picked them up and from my leafing through them I have a feeling his style is going to fit perfectly as well).

From my own judgement of the above authors, I enjoy a book that has first hand accounts, strategic overlooks, and discusses the politics and goings on of the commanders on either side all woven together. Antony Beevor and David Halberstam seem to do this quite well.

Hopefully this will give you a good idea of what I am looking for. Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Kegley
United States
Pulaski
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it satisfies all of your criteria, but A Time For Trumpets by Charles McDonald is quite good.

Neal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neal excellent! I have seen this on the shelf at Barnes and Noble more than once and it has indeed caught my eye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gill
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the 'A Time for Trumpets' recommendation. I'm not a Bulge expert, but the most thorough book I ever found was this this one:

For a good memoir, try 'Seven Roads to Hell' by Donald Burgett.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed "A blood-dimmed tide" by Gerald Astor. It's basically first-hand accounts so doesn't have the strategic overlook and political aspects. It's a very interesting read though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
"The Damned Engineers" by Janice Giles is, in my opinion, a very good account of the exploits of the 291st Engineer Battalion during the Battle of the Bulge. It not only coveys the operational details of this unit during the Bulge, but also the camaraderie that the men shared. It was first published in 1970 so you may have already read this, but thought it worthy to recommend if you hadn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh Cole's book is the official amreican history. It's one of the most complete single volume book. Nevertheless it's mostly viewed through the american perspective, and doesn't include the most recent researches.

Yet for the price it's very good and full of informations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And my Amazon wishlist keeps on growing! Thanks a ton gents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of "Trumpets" and like it - it's especially interesting in that McDonald was a US Army Infantry officer in the battle. There were some who had never told their story before who opened up to him because he had been there.

My other favorite book on the battle is "Alamo In The Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible"
by John C. McManus. It has a tigher focus but is well told look at that part of the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
The Bitter Woods by John SD Eisenhower was long considered a standard text on the battle.

Danny Parker's various books are worth a look as well: http://www.dannysparker.com/modules/wfsection/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
The Bitter Woods by John SD Eisenhower was long considered a standard text on the battle.

Danny Parker's various books are worth a look as well: http://www.dannysparker.com/modules/wfsection/

Of course, Parker also designed several wargames on the Battle of the Bulge; I know one for SPI and one for WWW. I guess I always have a bias in favor of wargamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rusch
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished "Bastards of Bastogne", an excellent book providing first hand accounts of the 101st Airborne and supporting armored and TD units during that crossroads town siege. It isn't the best book for a big picture perspective, but the details for platoon and company action doesn't get any better than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny Parker's Battle of the Bulge is absolutely fabulous.

Hitler's Last Gamble by Trevor N. Dupuy is also extremely good.

A Time For Trumpets by Charles MacDonald is really good and offers a Company Commanders view of the battle.

The Osprey book Battle of the Bulge is great for photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Septic wrote:
A Time For Trumpets by Charles MacDonald is really good and offers a Company Commanders view of the battle.

I see what you did there... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Parker's _Battle of the Bulge_ - I've looked for book like it on other battles without success. Enough historical narrative to give me an overview, but plenty of historical analysis. Might lack "color" for some, but a great book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
deltarn wrote:
Hugh Cole's book is the official amreican history. It's one of the most complete single volume book. Nevertheless it's mostly viewed through the american perspective, and doesn't include the most recent researches.

Yet for the price it's very good and full of informations.

And best of all, it's available on-line for free!

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_CONT.HTM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I know it is old and not scholarly, but John Toland's Battle: The Story of the Bulge is an amazingly good read--and I'll buttress that by noting that Mark Simonitch recommended it in his notes for Ardennes '44!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up for some of these older book recommendations and explanations on why!

The Army should really teach its people about this battle and what it meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Petrini
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HossB86 wrote:
Not sure if it satisfies all of your criteria, but A Time For Trumpets by Charles McDonald is quite good.

Neal

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HossB86 wrote:

Neal

McDonald's book is lengthy, but well worth the read. It covers the whole battle but with the insight of an infantry company commander who was there.

The major premise of McDonald's book is that contrary the myth that the American troops broke and ran all over the frontline, junior officers and NCOs rallied infantrymen to hold on to road junctions and key terrain, and combat engineers blew bridges, often moments before the panzers arrived. The resultant delays disrupted the German timetable, and allowed reinforcements to arrive and counterattack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend John SD Eisenhower's book "The Bitter Woods" on the subject. While it covers various combat engaments quite well, it also delves into the tense politics the Allied High Command had to deal with, first due to FOW and shear disbelief, but also later as the overwhelming nature of the German attack finally hits home. An excellent read and definitely one of my top picks.

I'd also second the entire series of books by Donald Burgett of the 101st, his are all great books from the first-person perspective. the book "Seven Roads to Hell" covers the Battle of the Bulge, in particular, but he wrote about all of his experiences in WWII and they are all worth reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.