Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got this just after Christmas, and have only begun the prepping and painting process on the minis. No instructions on how to assemble the two vehicles that come in the boxed game, which is annoying as I now that I have assembled both the Marauder raptor and the Forgefather arty gun (hailstorm cannon) but with a single piece left over that I don't know where it goes...

The figures are fine, though some have complained that Mantic used the same Orc bodies from their fantasy line Kings of War and so the Space Orks have advanced tech but no shoes to fight in.

As to the game, I played my first game, using my 6 mm Space Orks and Squats from Epic 40K and proxying some vehicles to play a 1000 point game.
This gave me four raptors and a fighter-bomber for the Marauders, along with a captain, one rippers unit, a jumper section and three grunt sections, each grunt section equipped with a machine gun.

The Forgefathers had two hailstorm cannons, a light drakkar with BFG, a huscarl, and four steel warrior sections, each with an autocannon.

The rules are mostly clear and simple, contained as they are on a 16-pg fold-out rules booklet. They mirror the Kings of War rules and to me are the same rules for fantasy warfare adapted to science fiction. Only one thing I think was missed is whether or not vehicles are allowed to shoot if they used the "Full Speed Ahead" movement option.

Dice are rolled to hit when shooting or hitting in close combat, then hits are re-rolled to see if they caused damage to the target unit. The most dice I rolled at once were 16. The game comes with 10. 40K players will notice there a lot less dice to roll in this game, while other miniatures gamers may see more dice rolling. It's been several years since I played 40K, and it did seem to be a lot of dice chukking going on. YMMV.

The two armies have basic distinctions that make them play differently. Echoing the 40K game that Mantic clearly based Warpath on, the Forgefathers are well-armoured and have good weapons ranges. The Marauders have limited range on their basic arms but make up for it with more attacks in hand-to-hand combat.

The game played smoothly enough; I just had to check the armor rules once in a while to make sure I was handling shooting with armor and targeting armor correctly. The air rules for the fighter bomber were quite simple as well.

As for the game, I felt it gave a good result. The Marauders were assaulting a fixed position, and focused on taking out the Forgefather Hailstorm cannons before getting into hand-to-hand. The Forgefathers were unable to take out the Marauder raptors before the Marauder infantry got within firing range, and subsequently close combat. Hand-to-hand combat began on the Marauders' fourth turn, and the game ended after the Forgefathers' sixth turn when their last two steelwarriors sections were surrounded on three sides. At that point I decided the Space dwarves withdrew/surrendered.

It took me perhaps an hour to play the game, including the rule checks. It would have taken longer using 28 mm figures as the game calls for individually based figures, whereas my 6 mm stuff consisted of five models/per base. This worked well actually, as damage isn't figured by removing individual casualties but rather by adding damage markers to the unit for each hit it suffers. As units suffer damage from shooting and hand-to-hand, they take nerve tests to see if they keep fighting, become suppressed, or are wiped out. The units, unless suppressed keep fighting at full strength capacity until destroyed (armor can become immobilized before being destroyed).

It is a rather abstract system, but good tactics were still needed. When the Marauders were able to flank the Forgefathers defensive perimeter with their raptors, it was essentially all over for the squatty ones. And when all was said and done, I enjoyed the game and didn't strain my brain having to constantly check and re-check rules.

I realize this is a very shallow summary of the whole game system, but as it is the first post on the forums for Warpath, I hope it at least gives an idea of what it is all about. Am looking forward to Mantic's releases this year of other forces. The Corporation is coming out soon, with five other races still to come if all goes as planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good first sight of the game, I do have read the rules and have few observations about the game but i would wait to play it to say a final comment and if the thoughs are right.

By reading the rules i figure out that this game is pretty different from Warhammer 40k, since is more focused in shooting (as far released) and is based in "DISSRUPTION" like classic wargames, than in killing units by depletion of wounds.At first feels more Sci-fi than wh40k that is more future gothic medieval.

Is pretty simple wargame,easey to get but with several game strategies, could become a serious wargame with few rules.

I´m expecting the Corporation to purchase units (mostly for my imperial guard, but as i can play both games, excellent for me) They are about to be released in march 2012. In the mean time i shall try out the rules with some proxies (well i do have 40k Orcs and some dwarf from warhammer fantasy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing the one part of the rules that will be a sticking point for many is that the game is centered around squads, and figures within a squad move individually. But figures aren't removed when damage is taken, nor is firepower reduced. Rather, you track how much damage a squad takes and after each round of shooting or hand-to-hand in which it takes damage, you test its nerve to see if it keeps fighting, is suppressed, or flees/is considered destroyed.

The rules suggest using small dice to track unit damage, or take notes on paper. This will lead to a messy battlefield in a big game.

The one game I played as I noted was with my 6mm Epic 40K figs, which were based five models/base. This to me saved a lot of time, especially as the only figure in each unit that matters is the unit leader, who is used to determine line of sight, range, and unit cohesion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got the sticky point of the game, but actually is not warhammer is another game by itself, the comparison is valid because is the mainstream Sci Fi Game.

Many Wargames keep that game mechanic about disruption of the unit, something more abstract and hard to get in order as the game progress (since you have to take note or moving the dice, also you could use wound tokens)

Measuring from the unit leader is something to make the game more "straightforward" a mecanic i saw the very first time with the former AT-43 that work to keep games up.

In the over all is a Fast-paced skirmish game, with very straighforward rules; i shall give a wise try and tell the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. I just read through the rules and might try the intro scenario soon. I actually have the Mantic Fantasy Orcs so I'll use those as Maruaders. I'll probably use some Mantic Dwarfs as the Forge Fathers. I do enjoy Kings of War and this obviously has some similarities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.