Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
The Giant's Causeway is a geological feature on the coast of Antrim, Northern Ireland.
It consists of hexagonal columns of volcanic basalt and is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site
Thinking about it made me think of hex shapes in a boardgame (rather than thinking about essays and presentations for my course!) and I was wondering how to make a game based on it.
Obviously, it would lend itself well to abstract type games but hexagonal-shaped geological formations is just about the driest theme imaginable!
In legends concerning the creation of the causeway, however, it is associated with Fionn Mac Cumhaill (legendary Irish hero) battling a Scottish giant, with the causeway forming a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Another theme I was thinking of was 18th/19th century geologists collecting samples.
It also features in the Hellboy II film.

Photo by Richard Messenger

So how to make a game based on it?
A Hive meets Checkers type abstract game? A race/chase/duel between legendary heroes placing/stacking/flipping hex tiles?
Or it could work well in a Forbidden Island type scenario.
Any other themes/mechanisms that would work?

Photo by David Hagwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Make it a race game like Terrain Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha!
That seems to fit the bill pretty well.
The board looks great. Is that game available anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
I fear the abstract pennant is taken:

A game too obscure for the BGG database by a publisher - New Territory Games - too long forgotten for even Google to find any reference.

I would go with yer man McCool. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That is indeed some good boardgame detective work.
Abstract and obscure seem pretty well covered here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
insearchofspace wrote:
The board looks great. Is that game available anywhere?

Seems to be out of print, good luck finding one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm a sucker for themed games, so my immediate thought was to have giants competing to craft the best "causeway." The players place pieces to build up their structure while trying to deform the other players'.

Incidentally, when was this featured in Hellboy II? I don't remember that at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Well, I'm a sucker for themed games, so my immediate thought was to have giants competing to craft the best "causeway." The players place pieces to build up their structure while trying to deform the other players'.

I like the idea of Giants building bridges between islands. You could make a semi-cooperative system where each tile added to your bridge requires you to flip over a trouble card and each tile added to another player's bridge gains you a card from a deck of defenses or allies that could abate/avoid/deflect the trouble cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

Incidentally, when was this featured in Hellboy II? I don't remember that at all...

As far as I can remember, it's near the end of the film.
They fly there to save Hellboy from the wound he receives from Nuada.
I think the Causeway itself only features in an aerial shot, while the scene set there is actually filmed in Hungary (I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mott
msg tools
Hi

Just stumbled on this forum, the Giants Causeway game was made by my late father in law and is somewhat of a family treasure.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mott
msg tools
NikTheRake wrote:
I fear the abstract pennant is taken:

A game too obscure for the BGG database by a publisher - New Territory Games - too long forgotten for even Google to find any reference.

I would go with yer man McCool. Good luck.

I have a couple of sealed copies if anyone is still in the market for one.

Cheers Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

Man, I've been standing on those stones so many times during my assistantship in Dungannon! Should've thought about that!!!

...and what about a strict realization of the old story? The bridge to Scotland cracks under the giant's feet...executed with the help of a mechanism that reminds me of the (melting) ice floes in Alaska?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow i will be visiting the G's C. for the first ti.e and i was thinking about a game out of this wonderful theme... too bad i wasnt the first ... but hey... there are hundreds of game about WWII, why not a second game about the G's C.???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.