Hide
15 Posts

Munchkin Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: HOW THE HECK DO YOU PLAY THIS GAME? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
msg tools
I just bought "Munchkin" at Target and these instructions are horrific. I am so completely confused. Below is just a sampling of my questions.
What is the objective?
What are the tokens for?
Why are there level cards higher than 10 if level 10 means you win?
What does the "will not pursue" cards mean - you won't pursue others?
How do you use Treasure cards?
When do you look at your face down cards in order to play them?
What do you do with the class cards?
What is the dice for?
What do the gold coins do for you?
When does your turn end?
The examples crack me up because I have no idea how to get to level r with a chainsaw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the game page and scroll down to the files section. On the second page of the files section there is a rules summary that might help explain things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Munchkin Quest Forum. Munchkin is a different game. Which one do you have?

And welcome to bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you asking about the Card Game "Munchkin" or the Boardgame "Munchkin Quest"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Howard
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimski wrote:
What is the objective?

To be the first player to reach lvl 10
kimski wrote:
What are the tokens for?

There aren't tokens in the Munchkin card game
kimski wrote:

The monster card can exceed lvl 10, you cannot. That is the purpose of arming yourself, and asking for help when needed.
kimski wrote:

I believe it means that when you away, your monster card will not pursue you, therefore conbat does not continue.
kimski wrote:

You use them as needed, such as combat modifiers or to arm yourself.
kimski wrote:

You can look at them whenever you wish. each card has specifics when they can be played. "Face-down" simply means others cannot see your cards.
kimski wrote:

You play them. Each class card(as well as race cards) has modifiers for the character you play in Munchkin.
kimski wrote:
What is the dice for?

Some cards call for a d6 roll
kimski wrote:

In munchkin Quest, they keep track of how much gold you have.
kimski wrote:
When does your turn end?

When you have drawn a door, resolved it's effects and drawn any appropriate treasure cards.
kimski wrote:
The examples crack me up because I have no idea how to get to level r with a chainsaw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried to play this 'game' a couple of times, but eventually have given up on it.

The components are really great, but we just don't see a game in it with those rules. shake At best times, a player turn took us about 45 minutes. We usually play other games from beginning till the end in 45 minutes. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have to take exception. I've played this game, I've run tournaments of this game, it does work. You may not like the idea of Munchkin, or you might not like that it takes as long as it does, but it's not inoperable. Maybe you need someone to teach the game rather than getting it from the rules or something. A complex player turn can take four or five minutes, but forty five minutes means something was amiss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game where the playtime of "being used to the game and knowing how to play it" and "not having played the game and taking a bit of time" will more than quadruple the game time. For other games, the typical is double. For Munchkin Quest, it's quadruple.

If you have a good grasp of how a turn goes, what steps there are in it, then a turn takes no more than a maximum of 5 minutes. Then everything relies on if you think the game is worth the time it takes to get a good grasp of how a turn goes. I think it's worth it, others don't.

Oh, and the little rule "first turn - one movement only, second turn, two movement only, third turn and onwards – full movement" does help. Or "enter a new room = all your movement is consumed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
msg tools
I have Munchkin (not Quest) but could not find that game listed on the game's website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
msg tools
It's a card game. I think you are referring to a computer game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
msg tools
I am referring to the card game but I did get some help from Igor. The instructions basically assume you have role playing experience which I have none. I am also trying to play it with my 8 year old but have no idea if he's too young for it (no age on box). That's what I get for buying the game on clearance. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The card game can be found here.

If it's the card game, it's at least easier to play than the board game that involves a lot of chits and counters and tiles and pawns. Munchkin card game doesn't require role playing experience. It is, however, more enjoyable if you are familiar with role playing clichés. Bing 8 years old is probably no hindrance to this game; it's basically about having fun with what's on the cards and laughing at the silly monster names.

I'm sure you can get a more thorough answer from someone else on the Munchkin forums, I have played Munchkin just some two, three times, but if I remember correctly it's something like:

* You've got 2 decks of cards, dungeon cards and treasure cards (or something like that) Divide them in separate piles, shuffle.
* Deal a number of cards to each player. I don't remember the number, but I think it's like 3 or four dungeon cards and maybe a few treasure cards. Players keep this in their hand.
* Decide who goes first.
(This is where I'm a bit unsure)
* The player whose turn it is draws the next dungeon card to see what it is. It might be that you draw a card and then can play a card from your hand, but I think it's rather that you draw a card and see what it is.
It's usually some sort of monster or trap or whatever. If the monster level is equal to or lower than the player level+any bonus from treasure cards, the player automatically defeats the monster and gets to draw an amount of treasure cards. If the monster level is higher than that, though, the player may ask for help from the other players. He may offer the helping players rewards, like "you get one of the two treasure cards, we draw and you choose first" or "you get my sword +1 afterwards" or "you get so and so many gold from me" or whatever. If the player gets help (help from more than one is OK), then all the participating players add together their levels and bonuses and if this is equal to or higher to the monster, the monster is defeated.
If the monster isn't defeated, the participating players get some sort of penalty, noted on the card as "Bad Stuff".
The player can also decide to flee from the monster. You should roll a die to see if you succeed. I think it was 4 or above that is a success. If you fail to flee, the Bad Stuff happens automatically.

* When a player is done with his dungeon cards, it's the next player's turn.

* At any time, players can play treasure cards to suddenly announce "Hey look, I've got this +2 sword!". Also, when other players are drawing dungeon cards, you can throw additional monsters at them (cards from your hand) to make the monster encounter more difficult.

The game is something like that. Basically, what I dislike with the card game is that you end up never reaching level 2, because no one wants to help because no one wants an opponent to rise in level, and so everyone sits on level 1 forever.

What is the objective?
Reaching level 10, at which point you win. Please note that it's not level+bonus that should be ten, it's your level and level only that should be ten.

What are the tokens for?
I haven't ever seen tokens in the Munchkin card game, but I can imagine they are there to keep count of something. Maybe the player level?

Because if you are level 5 but have have "Boots of Superiority +2", "Third Hand" and "Magnificienc sword +2" and "Super Duper Helmet +3", and "Big Chainsaw +4" then your level+bonus is 5+2+2+3+4 = 16. Thus, there are monsters that are stronger than level 10.

It probably means that the monster will not pursue players who flee from it. You can flee from monsters that you don't want to fight, but if I remember correctly, you have to roll 4 or above on a die to succeed, else the monster pummels you and the Bad Stuff happens.

You just put them in front of you, however in order to do so, you need to have enough Gold as stated on the card. For example, if you have some +2 boots which cost 300, you can play them if you have 300 gold. If I remember correctly, in Munchkin you don't have gold counters, so you "pay" for these boots by discarding another treasure cards that is worth 300 gold in order to be able to play the boots. You can discard several treasure cards to gain enough gold for a good treasure cards, for example, you can discard a 300 gold card and a 400 gold card in order to get to play a 700 gold treasure card. However, you don't get "change" if you discard more than the played card is worth.
Also, you can always discard treasure cards worth 1000 gold in order to gain a level.

You never have any face down cards, really. All cards dealt to players are kep in their hands. The only face down cards are the two draw piles in the middle (dungeon cards and treasure cards)

You play them. If you play a class card, it means you are that class. If you play another class card, you have to discard the previous, as you can only be one class at a time.

What is the dice for?
Mostly for when you flee from a monster. Some cards also ask you to roll a die.

You can level up for 1000 gold, or you could buy stuff

When does your turn end?
On your turn, you draw one dungeon card and resolve it. Your turn ends when you've defeated the monster, it has defeated you or you fled.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
msg tools
Well my husband figured it out. I think his experience with role playing games helped. Now that we got it figured out my kids are loving it. Thanks for everyone's help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was perusing in this forum and noticed that one of the posts above had incorrect information. In the hopes of avoiding confusion, please note that this forum is for Munchkin Quest but the OP was asking about Munchkin (the card game). Nonetheless, the clarifications I make below apply to both games.

Zimeon wrote:

You just put them in front of you, however in order to do so, you need to have enough Gold as stated on the card. For example, if you have some +2 boots which cost 300, you can play them if you have 300 gold. If I remember correctly, in Munchkin you don't have gold counters, so you "pay" for these boots by discarding another treasure cards that is worth 300 gold in order to be able to play the boots. You can discard several treasure cards to gain enough gold for a good treasure cards, for example, you can discard a 300 gold card and a 400 gold card in order to get to play a 700 gold treasure card. However, you don't get "change" if you discard more than the played card is worth.
Also, you can always discard treasure cards worth 1000 gold in order to gain a level.

This is mostly incorrect. You do not have to pay the gold cost marked on a card to use or equip it. Remember, you already own the treasure as it was loot from killing monsters or a 'charity' item from another player. The gold cost represents how much it is worth when you 'sell' it for levels.

Zimeon wrote:

You can level up for 1000 gold, or you could buy stuff

This is also partially incorrect. You can only use the gold values on the cards to level up. You cannot buy items with gold unless you come across a card that allows you to do so (which is pretty rare).

To level up, discard 1000 gold worth of cards. If you have to discard cards that are worth more than 1000 to get at least a 1000 (for example, you have 1100 worth of cards to discard) you do not get any change back.

(Note: In Munchkin Quest, you can use the gold coin pieces to supplement your cards in order to get 1000 exactly, wasting less gold. Or you can use just the gold coin pieces for leveling. As far as I am aware, unless you are in a room with a deal or you get a card that allows you to buy something (like cards) with gold, you cannot buy things with your gold. You might be able to do a trade with another player, though that might be a 'house rule' situation as I cannot recall if that is actually in the rulebook.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.