Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Yesterday I was playing The Resistance with a group of people, many of which I'd played with before. I had played several games with this group over the last couple of months and had demonstrated 2 annoying qualities:

1: I'm always resitance. Not sure how it kept happening, but I just never seemed able to draw a spy.

2: I'm always assumed to be a spy. I can't help it, I have a guilty demeanor that makes people think I've got something up my sleeve. This is a great habit in some games where I can pull off impressive bluffs, but in Resistance it just makes my teammates not trust me.

We had already played 2 games that night (as mentioned, I was always resistance) and I was developing a bit of a Cassadra complex. On the last game I finally drew spy. I enjoy playing spy, I've played it with other groups, and was eager to try it with this group.

I was the second leader, and among the cards I had to pass out was "Establish Confidence". I'm not a big fan of this card, I've seen too many spy teams get outed by having the spy leader pass the card to a spy follower, be vouched for as resistance, then both are immediately assumed to be spies. Feeling whimsical, I passed it to the player on my right (Resistance) who had been a spy in the previous games of the evening. (In those previous games I had through one plot card or another figured out he was a spy, but had been unable to convince my teammates of this.) Both he and I had been on the first mission (which succeeded for the resistance) so he seemed a logical choice for a resistance person to assume was also resistance and would vouch for him.

He used the card on me, I confidently passed my role card to him, he did a double take on seeing it, and declared me a spy. I went from confused, to shocked, to indignant, and the two of us went into the same accusation storm we had been into twice previously that night. Bystanders weren't able to distinguish any change in our demeanors from previous games, and couldn't decide which was the spy. After a half hour or so of psychoanalysis over the course of the game the group couldn't come to a decision, and neither of us were included in any more missions.

(Apparently this was the first time in this group that an "establish confidence" had yielded a "he's a spy" result. Opinions ranged from "the accuser's clearly a spy", "maybe the leader (me) forgot who the other spies were", "they're both spies and one's just sacrificing the other", "maybe the leader misread his own card and thought he was resistance"...)

I guess my question is: was this the right call? I think if I had given it to a fellow spy it would have been worse because if I was deemed Resistance that my naturally guilty complexion would have dragged us both down, and if he sacrificed me then people still wouldn't trust either of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if the result was that you were both locked out, it was likely to end in a spy win (since mission 5 requires a perfect team). in that respect, yay!

as a spy, i'll tend to go adjacent with this card, b/c going across the table is just way too suspicious. of course, you could go cross table if you're running a game and looking to implicate a resistance player. but i'd never ever go cross table to show my card to a spy. it's just too obvious.

group dynamics and your table image make a big difference, but i don't like to fake outrage at the table, b/c it's just too hard to do well, and too stressful either way. i prefer to play it relatively cool (although i'm not sure i succeed).

GreyArcher wrote:
Hi there,

Yesterday I was playing The Resistance with a group of people, many of which I'd played with before. I had played several games with this group over the last couple of months and had demonstrated 2 annoying qualities:

1: I'm always resitance. Not sure how it kept happening, but I just never seemed able to draw a spy.

2: I'm always assumed to be a spy. I can't help it, I have a guilty demeanor that makes people think I've got something up my sleeve. This is a great habit in some games where I can pull off impressive bluffs, but in Resistance it just makes my teammates not trust me.

We had already played 2 games that night (as mentioned, I was always resistance) and I was developing a bit of a Cassadra complex. On the last game I finally drew spy. I enjoy playing spy, I've played it with other groups, and was eager to try it with this group.

I was the second leader, and among the cards I had to pass out was "Establish Confidence". I'm not a big fan of this card, I've seen too many spy teams get outed by having the spy leader pass the card to a spy follower, be vouched for as resistance, then both are immediately assumed to be spies. Feeling whimsical, I passed it to the player on my right (Resistance) who had been a spy in the previous games of the evening. (In those previous games I had through one plot card or another figured out he was a spy, but had been unable to convince my teammates of this.) Both he and I had been on the first mission (which succeeded for the resistance) so he seemed a logical choice for a resistance person to assume was also resistance and would vouch for him.

He used the card on me, I confidently passed my role card to him, he did a double take on seeing it, and declared me a spy. I went from confused, to shocked, to indignant, and the two of us went into the same accusation storm we had been into twice previously that night. Bystanders weren't able to distinguish any change in our demeanors from previous games, and couldn't decide which was the spy. After a half hour or so of psychoanalysis over the course of the game the group couldn't come to a decision, and neither of us were included in any more missions.

(Apparently this was the first time in this group that an "establish confidence" had yielded a "he's a spy" result. Opinions ranged from "the accuser's clearly a spy", "maybe the leader (me) forgot who the other spies were", "they're both spies and one's just sacrificing the other", "maybe the leader misread his own card and thought he was resistance"...)

I guess my question is: was this the right call? I think if I had given it to a fellow spy it would have been worse because if I was deemed Resistance that my naturally guilty complexion would have dragged us both down, and if he sacrificed me then people still wouldn't trust either of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if the result was that you were both locked out, it was likely to end in a spy win (since mission 5 requires a perfect team). in that respect, yay!

This isn't true in 9/10 player which is one reason my group has taken to only 2 plot cards/turn in that case.

Generally speaking, as a spy I will try to show Establish Confidence to another spy. I often want them to out me in that situation, however.

EDIT: I just realized that you may be thinking of Overheard Conversation and not Establish Confidence. That one depends a lot more on turn order and previous play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The right call, in my opinion, is generally to switch things up. So I applaud your gutsy move! And it worked out for you. Spies generally can afford to out themselves if it takes a resistance down with them.

And in future games, when you (as a spy) give the card to another spy, their affirmation will mean more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.