5 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » General

Subject: Disassembling the Fleet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Carey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Has anyone had any success with disassembling the minis from the game? Whilst I haven't suffered too badly from breakages (5), the ships themselves have a somewhat random approach to alignment, and the OCD in me cannot stand discs and nacelles at random angles.

I've tried acetone with a cotton bud but it appeared to strip some of the colour from the plastic so I'm concerned that soaking it to break down the glue will wreck it.

Can anyone offer a successful method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hot/Cold Water trick?

Some of my ships are a little warped, mostly the Enterprise A. Heating them up and reposition them would work, but I havent seen anything that needs to be disassembled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
By random alingment do you mean the ship isn't molded properly or aligned improperly on it's elevation stick?

If you mean misaligned by the sculpt then simply heating it up should work. A 100 watt bulb (not 60 but 100) should give you enough heat to warm it up and realign it. You can also try an open flame but that gets a little risky.

I have used a stove to mod Heroclix, Mechwarrior and other Wizkids' properties. When doing this hold it high enough above the stove to feel the heat but NEVER touch. It's better to do this method slow than fast. I have held some for up to 5 minutes to heat it slow enough to ensure the correct positioning. And if possible hold it with something like twizzers or plyers.

Once it's soft then you can shape and bend the plastic how you want it. Once you have it where you want it, run cold water on it to help it harden. I like to hold it till it cools off then put it in the freezer for a few hours to insure the plastic stays in the position I want it.

If it's misaligned on the stick... I would either employ the heating method or cut it of, shave the connection and reglue.

Full disclosure: I haven't had any issues with the sculpts so far so I have not tried any of these techniques on my Star Trek ships. Like I said earlier, these techniques were used on other Wizkids minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry by misaligned I mean that the various parts that make up the ship have been stuck together incorrectly. So the Excelsior’s saucer is pointing down about 20 deg compared to the nacelles instead of parallel, leaving a gap where the 'neck' meets the main body. Similarly the nebulas weapons pod (when viewed from the rear) is angled off to the right, while the nacelles are off to the left. Its not the mouldings themselves but more the construction of the miniatures form the constituent parts.

I can see the hot water method allowing me to align the thinner parts (nacelles and the like) but the excelsior’s saucer will have either a sharp bend at the neck or a curve over the total length of the saucer, neither of which will be aesthetically acceptable.

Worst case would have to be chopping up and then pining and green stuff to fill the gaps, which is a bit more involved than I’d hoped, particularly when all the problems appear to stem from a rather shoddy approach to construction rather than poor mouldings.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to be able to replace these ships with the new Star Trek Tactics coming out next month. Anyone have any luck removing these from their bases? Or perhaps they will release a new version of Feet with the pre-painted versions from the new clix game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.