Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got C&C:A at first, I was overwhelmed by its awesomeness. Then I got all the expansions, digging far and wide for #2 and #3 - and ended up with three mounted boards, lots of rulebooks and scenarios, and thousands (edit: 1687, apparently) of wooden blocks. Wouldn't fit into a few game boxes, and having six of them for one game (before Sparta) is not my thing.

So I looked at storage boxes in hobby stores, and found these instrument carrying cases made from aluminium with neat foam material interiors. Here's the result:

I put all the wooden blocks into ziplock bags, sorted by troop type, and put the ziplocks belonging to one army roughly together. That makes it quite easy to get just the ones you need. And the whole thing is very portable (though heavy), too.

The setup could accomodate 1-2 more expansions still, but it appears there won't be any more cry ... ah well, there's more than enough scenarios meanwhile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Storing the units in the zip-lock bags like this would save some more space and help prevent damage to the stickers:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a bad setup although I'd prefer some compartments that would prevent things from bouncing around loose inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Not a bad setup although I'd prefer some compartments that would prevent things from bouncing around loose inside.

Nothing bounces, the foam material thingies keep it from doing so. They press everything neatly together. Edit: Another picture.

GeoMan wrote:
Storing the units in the zip-lock bags like this would save some more space and help prevent damage to the stickers.

Hm, good idea. More work to pack them of course, but it might be worth it - though they don't seem to move a lot, foam material thingies and all. I'd need larger zip locks for that, too But I'll give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently use some cardboard ornament boxes for my C&C:A and C&C:N games. I really like them for their roominess and compartments, but they're a bit expensive for cardboard and have been steadily degrading as I take them out to gaming events.

If I can find large, compartmentalized, aluminum suitcases like these, I'd switch over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the foam material thingies keep it from doing so

Pretty sharp then!

What's the manufacturer for the cases?

It would be cool if a nice etched picture could be put on the side of the cases, but I like your system a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
What's the manufacturer for the cases?

I honestly don't know - and I've looked, there's no logo anywhere...

I've bought them at OBI, but I doubt that this helps...

sduke wrote:
It would be cool if a nice etched picture could be put on the side of the cases, but I like your system a lot!

Aye, I've thought about that, gonna do something with spray paint and templates eventually I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This large Plano tackle box has been brilliant for me....rules, scenarios, boards, tiles and decks fit in the under lid compartment (just), dice in the clear plastic compartments on the lid and the armies from base game and all the expansions divide up very conveniently into the removable Plano boxes.

Two big issues, though.....one is that they're bloody expensive, at least here in Australia. I never would have bought one for myself (it was a gift). Second is that I've filled them and now have to deal with the Spartans when they arrive.......and storing them separately will drive me nuts!!

If I didn't have the Plano I'd be bagging.....your solution looks great.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Henderson
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a Plano box as well. I actually have 2 one for this and one for memoir 44. I love them and they work well for storage as well as transport. The price tag may seem high, I payed $50 US dollars for each, but they are well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shenderson2002 wrote:
I have a Plano box as well. I actually have 2 one for this and one for memoir 44. I love them and they work well for storage as well as transport. The price tag may seem high, I payed $50 US dollars for each, but they are well worth it.

Well worth it for that price. Unfortunately here it's over double that and it's a bit hard to justify paying almost the price of the base game plus an expansion for storage, no matter how good it is. Although it would be otherwise ideal, I can't justify the expense of another one for Napoleonics (unless I score it as a gift again). It's possible to cobble together an alternative with a cheap toolbox and compartment boxes from the local "hot dollar" shop for a fifth of the price (although nowhere near the quality).

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Storing the units in the zip-lock bags like this would save some more space and help prevent damage to the stickers:

Apologize for the "necro", but can anyone hazard what size, approximately are those plastic bags?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

Apologize for the "necro", but can anyone hazard what size, approximately are those plastic bags?

Don't know the exact bag sizes but FWIW, from left to right the individual block sizes are 20x20mm, 25x20mm and 15x15mm (assuming Napoleonics uses the same blocks as Ancients).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CCN blocks are actually a little bigger (18x18, 22x22, 22x28).

What I am really referring to is how thin those bags appear to be (compated to "normal") ziploc bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.