Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a collection of Monsterpocalypse a couple of years ago, and it's finally time to inventory, bust it out, and learn to play. I've finished the inventory (listed below).

Can someone help me figure out the best way to put together some beginner's armies? If I'm just a couple of singles away from a cohesive / synergistic army, I'll buy some cheapies. Thanks!

Martian Menace
1x Ares Mothership / 1x Ultra Ares Mothership
1x Deimos-9 / 1x Ultra Deimos-9
1x Tharsis-5 / 1x Ultra Tharsis-5

2x Hunter
1x Elite Hunter
2x Power Pod
3x Saucer
5x Vanguard
3x Elite Vanguard
1x Marauder
3x Marauder Elite
3x Reaper

Shadow Sun Syndicate
1x Zor-Maxim / 1x Ultra Zor-Maxim
2x Zor-Raiden / 2x Ultra Zor-Raiden

1x Sun Fighter
2x Elite Sun Fighter
4x S-Type Shinobi
3x Elite S-Type Shinobi
3x Interceptor
2x C-Type Shinobi
1x C-Type Shinobi Elite
3x Katana
1x Katana Elite

G.U.A.R.D.
1x Defender X
1x Ultra Defender X
1x Sky Sentinel
1x Ultra Sky Sentinel
1x Gladius 1 / 1x Gladius 2 / 1x Shield 3 / 1x Shield 4 / 1x Ultra Legionnaire

2x Rocket Chopper
2x Elite Rocket Chopper
7x G-Tank
2x Elite G-Tank
2x Mobile Ops Center
2x Repair Vehicle
1x Ion Cannon Tank
3x G1 Strike Fighter Elite

Lords of Cthul
1x Cthugrosh / 1x Ultra Cthugrosh
1x Yasheth / 1x Ultra Yasheth

2x Meat Slave
7x Spitter
1x Elite Spitter
4x Squix
4x Elite Squix
1x Elite Task Master
1x Corruptor
1x Corruptor Elite
3x Snatcher
1x Snatcher Elite

Planet Eaters
1x Gorghadra / 1x Ultra Gorghadra
2x Rogzor / 2x Ultra Rogzor

3x Belcher
3x Elite Belcher
1x Crawler
5x Destructomite
1x Elite Destructomite
6x Explodohawk
3x Chomper
2x Scorcher
1x Scorcher Elite

Terrasaurs
1x Armodax /1x Ultra Armodax
1x Terra Khan / 1x Ultra Terra Khan / 1x Mega Terra Khan

4x Brontox
6x Carnidon
4x Elite Carnidon
3x Raptix
3x Elite Spikodon
1x Pteradax
1x Ultra Pteradax
2x Bellower
2x Bellower Elite
1x Pteradactix

Buildings
3x Apartment Building
1x Bank Headquarters
6x Downtown High-Rise
4x Nuclear Power Plant
3x Office Building
3x Oil Refinery
4x Radar Array
2x Skyscraper
3x TV Network High-Rise
1x Insurance Company HQ
1x Statue of Liberty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I"m just getting going myself, and I would love to have what you've got. There's more than enough to field solid armies for play against one another there, and have great games between any of the six factions. Are you thinking about competitive play against people with their own sets? If not, I suggest you dive in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, if I even had close to your number of figures
awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I"m just getting going myself, and I would love to have what you've got. There's more than enough to field solid armies for play against one another there, and have great games between any of the six factions. Are you thinking about competitive play against people with their own sets? If not, I suggest you dive in.

I'm just trying to put together an army for each faction and give it a shot. I bought this collection a couple of years ago. I remembered having a bunch of units, but I didn't remember having all of the monsters from Rise.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a push in the right direction on a good starting army list, using mostly Rise units -- something that shows off the faction's strong points. Is anyone aware of some sample army lists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll offer some comments. I'm a martians player, so I'll touch on them first. I'll probably comment on others in separate posts.

Based on what you've got on your list, I'd recommend:

1 Grunt/1 Elite Marauder
2x Power Pod
Elite Vanguard
2x Grunt Vanguard
Elite Hunter
3 Reapers
2 Saucers

The thing that you're painfully lacking is Nullifier Pods. These are marvelous units. If I were you, I'd want to get & run 2 in the final 2 spots of your 15-unit list.

An elite Reaper, so you could run 1 grunt/2 elite would be preferable, and it could be acquired cheaply. Reapers are only moderately useful anyway...you'll mostly be using them to hang back & secure buildings.

Of your 3 Martian Monsters, Tharsis is the strongest in my opinion, followed by the Mothership & then Deimos.

When you run Martians, you should use all of the Nuke plants you have, plus one or two radar arrays.

That's just a few thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play Shadow Sun, but both of my boys do, so I play against them a lot.

From your current units, I'd run:

Elite Katana
3x Grunt Katana
Elite C-Type
2x Grunt C-type
Elite S-Type
2x Grunt S-Type
2x Interceptor
1 Grunt/1 Elite Sun Fighter

What you're lacking is 1 Shadow gate (decently helpful), & 2 Sun Drones (incredibly helpful). The Katanas are extremely good units, the S-types are not that good. If you got the gate/drones, I'd pull some of the S-Types out to make room for them. You want to run as many Skyscrapers as you can with Shadow Sun, or other buildings with Underground Network. My sons like to run 4 Skyscrapers.

EDIT: Zor Maxim is slightly better than Zor Raiden, in my opinion. Then again, it's also my opinion that Raiden is underplayed & undervalued in the Monpoc world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run GUARD a fair amount.

From what you've got, I'd run:

2x Repair Vehicle
2x Mobile Ops
1 Elite Chopper
2 Grunt Choppers
1 Elite G tank
3 Grunt G tanks
1 Ion Cannon tank
3x Elite G1

G tanks aren't actually all that great, but they're good for securing buildings & power bases. You could use 1 Fuel truck, which should be available fairly cheaply (if you get one, replace 1 Mobile ops with it). Your glaring weakness is no grunt G1 fighters. They should be available cheaply, & they're awesome units, the best GUARD has. I'd want to run 2 Elites & 3 Grunts.

Sky Sentinel is a top-tier monster. If you run him, use all the flying units you can.

Legionnaire is, in my opinion, pretty good. Defender X is an all-around, not great at anything but pretty good in everything monster.

EDIT: It would be great if you had a couple more bank hq's. They're very GUARD friendly buildings. Also, run some radar arrays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last one, then I've got to quit:

Terrasaurs--
Pteradax is the best, but I really like Terra Khan as well. I personally like Armodax, but he's harder to win with.

2 Brontox
3 Spikodons
Elite Bellower
2 Grunt Bellowers
Pteradactix
Elite Carnidon
2 Grunt Carnidon
2 Raptix

It would be great if you got your hands on a Spikasaur, particularly if you're running Pteradax. More Pteradactixes would be good too. Carnidons are actually terrible units, but Terra Khan improves them a bit. Spikodons & Bellowers are marvelous.

With your Terrasaurs, run as many buildings with the High Occupancy power as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
I don't play Shadow Sun, but both of my boys do, so I play against them a lot.

From your current units, I'd run:

Elite Katana
3x Grunt Katana
Elite C-Type
2x Grunt C-type
Elite S-Type
2x Grunt S-Type
2x Interceptor
1 Grunt/1 Elite Sun Fighter

What you're lacking is 1 Shadow gate (decently helpful), & 2 Sun Drones (incredibly helpful). The Katanas are extremely good units, the S-types are not that good. If you got the gate/drones, I'd pull some of the S-Types out to make room for them. You want to run as many Skyscrapers as you can with Shadow Sun, or other buildings with Underground Network. My sons like to run 4 Skyscrapers.

EDIT: Zor Maxim is slightly better than Zor Raiden, in my opinion. Then again, it's also my opinion that Raiden is underplayed & undervalued in the Monpoc world.

I was an SSS player for a long time and I like this build... I would probably lose one of the S-Types or the Sunfighter and add another Elite Katana.

One of the best SSS combos is what I called "KC and the Slamdown band". My one contribution to the MonPoc community was winning the "combo ofthe week" over at Covenant. See their youtube video:

Also, Zor Maxim is a beast and was considered "top tier" for a long time...so much so that in my group's casual play, his use was considered "bad etiquette".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere's right, you have a very good selection of stuff already with very little really missing for any faction.

The easiest thing to do with any of these factions is to not use everything at once- just use one or two of the main unit types and a couple of 1 or 2 specials and you won't have too much trouble learning your first game. The rules are tight, it's the skill lists and combos that all newb players struggle with to start off with!

A nice easy Martian Menace team for example:

Vangaurd x3
Elite Vanguard x2
Hunter x2
Elite Hunter x1
Saucer x3
Power Pod x2

This is an easy to play with team- it only has 2 different unit types (vanguard and hunters including elites), and 2 different special unit types (saucers and pods). This means you only have 4 units' abilities to learn rather then 6 (if you'd used all your guys).

I rarely seem to use all 15 units at any time in a game so you won't miss out on only having 13/15.

The above team could be put with any Martian monster- it's quite generic. Is is very competative? Probably not, but it will be a nice gentle team for breaking you into Martian Menace whilst still managing to give you their distinct flavour.

You've got a good collection though, have fun! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies, thanks to all of you. I'll put some of these armies together this weekend and run through a solo game to try to learn the special abilities. I didn't realize that MonPoc armies run so many 1-ofs / 2-ofs. I assumed people loaded up with the maximum (5) of 2-3 unit types, with very little utility. It seems like flexibility and utility are actually pretty useful.

Anyone want to take a stab at Cthul / Planet Eaters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm back. You rarely need more than 1 squad (1 elite, 2 grunts) of a unit, except possibly in the case of Katanas/G1s. You want a fair amount of utility options in your force, so you can pull them out for different situations.

I'll try to give you a Cthul list. The Cthul are very popular in the circles I play in...and I hate them. So, I'll make some recommendations, but they'll be filled with rage and angst. :D

2x Meat Slave --great, important units, huge part of the Cthul healing game

Elite Spitter
2x Grunt Spitter --decent blasters, extinguish ability can occasionally be helpful

Elite Squix
2x Grunt Squix --grunts are useful when staying close to an elite, distract is great for you & hindering/aggravating to your enemy

Task Master --fling brawl is nice

Elite Corruptor
Corruptor --more useful for flank & jam abilities than as combatants

Elite Snatcher
Grunt Snatcher --the brawl/manufacture thing is neat trick for board control

In the short term, throw in a couple more Spitters or Squix to fill out your 15. The Cthul have the best unit in the game in the Cthulabite. It's a terrible, overpowered, awesome unit. 2 of those would be great. You might have a hard time finding them cheaply on the singles market.

Also, the Cthul have a couple of buildings that are amazingly helpful. Their installation building, the Tower of Corruption, is awesome but expensive. If you were trying to put together something competitive, you'd want to run 4-5. Also, you'd want 1-2 Music Producers.

If you were ever considering buying a DMZ box for Monpoc, the Cthul box would be the one. It has 2 Towers, and I'm not sure how many 'bites.

The Cthul have amazing access to healing, & you want to work that angle all you can. Both Cthugrosh & Yasheth are interesting monsters that can do a lot of cool things. Yasheth is a bit more aggressive, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you go the Yasheth route or Zor-Maxim route, expect people to not want to play with you anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.