The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two More Hunt for Gollum Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Flacco
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So I tried the Hunt for Gollum scenario again and two more questions came up that I need help with.

#1 - After a successful quest phase, I found myself engaged with the Hunters from Mordor and the Eastern Crows. The Hunters from Mordor were guarding one of the Clue cards. I engaged the Hunters first and sacrificed an Ally for defense. Due to some card effects, I was able to ready my questing hero to defend against the crows. My other two heroes were going to eliminate the Hunters during the attack phase. Unfortunately, due to a nasty shadow card, my questing hero got eliminated by the crows. The other two heroes eliminated the Hunters during the attack phase. So the question is, what happens to the Unguarded Clue Card?? The card reads that I can claim it after a successful quest (which occurred) and attach it to a hero committed to the quest (which I no longer had after the combat phase). I'm thinking that the card either goes back to the top of the encounter deck or returns to the staging area as an "Unguarded Objective" but I'm not sure which is correct. This leads to . . .

#2 -- One of the heroes that took care of the Hunters was Boromir. After the attack on the Hunters, I readied Boromir and eliminated the crows. So now I have to reshuffle the crows back into the encounter deck. Do I do that before or after I place the clue card on top of the encounter card deck?? It makes a big difference. I forgot to mention that the hero that I lost also had a previous clue card attached.

Thanks, as always, for the help and input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
#1: Heroes are only committed to the quest through the end of the quest phase (rule book, p.14). Once you get into the combat step, they are no longer considered committed to the quest.

Signs of Gollum has a very specific response trigger (i.e. "After the players quest successfully"). So, during the quest phase, as soon as you determine that the total willpower of committed characters exceeds the total threat in the staging area, you have quested successfully. At that time--and that time only--you may attach Signs of Gollum to one of your questing heroes (if the objective is unguarded, of course.).

If you eliminate the card guarding a Signs of Gollum but do not immediately claim the objective (quite common, by the way), the objective doesn't go anywhere. It just stays in the staging area, unguarded. Then, during a subsequent quest phase, you can claim it should you quest successfully.

#2: You shouldn't put the Clue card on top of the encounter deck. That only happens if it is attached to a hero (i.e. you have claimed said objective) and that hero takes damage. In your situation, the unguarded Clue just stays in play, and the Eastern Crows get shuffled back into the encounter deck.

In short: you can only claim Signs of Gollum immediately after you quest successfully during the quest phase (as that is the only time you will have heroes committed to the quest). Also, unguarded objectives just stay in play until you claim them or some other card (e.g. False Leads) gets rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.