Hide
8 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dunwich Expansion Question's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adan Moreno
msg tools
1.) "The Terrible Experience" Mythos card, add 5 monsters to the card and you have to fight em to pass and discard the card so the question is do I have to do a Horror Check every time I fight a new monster on the card?

2.) Abhot ability, when a Monster Surge occurs do I just add a "Child of Abjot" to the board instead of doing the Surge? or do I make both, add the CoA and do the Surge?

3.) Task Card, do I have to have a Arkham Encounter in the location assignment or do I just have to "spend" a Arkham Encounter in the location meaning I just have to be there to make the assigment? (and not have the encounter)

4.) Monster in Dunwich doesn't count toward the monster limit so if I am playing a 2 player game and my limit is 5 but I have 3 monsters in Arkham and 2 monsters in Dunwich I still have 2 slots left/open in Arkham to start sending the Monsters to the outskirt right?

4.5) Now what happen if a Monster Surge occurs? Do I skip Dunwich Gates? Do I add monster to Dunwich Gates and since they don't cound I keep going to Arkham untill all my slots are gone to start adding to outskirts?

This last question is so confusing lol well I hope you guys can help me again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Elsospechas wrote:
1.) "The Terrible Experience" Mythos card, add 5 monsters to the card and you have to fight em to pass and discard the card so the question is do I have to do a Horror Check every time I fight a new monster on the card?

2.) Abhot ability, when a Monster Surge occurs do I just add a "Child of Abjot" to the board instead of doing the Surge? or do I make both, add the CoA and do the Surge?

3.) Task Card, do I have to have a Arkham Encounter in the location assignment or do I just have to "spend" a Arkham Encounter in the location meaning I just have to be there to make the assigment? (and not have the encounter)

4.) Monster in Dunwich doesn't count toward the monster limit so if I am playing a 2 player game and my limit is 5 but I have 3 monsters in Arkham and 2 monsters in Dunwich I still have 2 slots left/open in Arkham to start sending the Monsters to the outskirt right?

4.5) Now what happen if a Monster Surge occurs? Do I skip Dunwich Gates? Do I add monster to Dunwich Gates and since they don't cound I keep going to Arkham untill all my slots are gone to start adding to outskirts?

This last question is so confusing lol well I hope you guys can help me again!

1) Yes; it's a normal fight, so horror checks must be taken.

2) Monster surge and The Child of Abhoth.

3) An Encounter Card is drawn and resolved.

4) The two in Dunwich don't count toward the monster limit in Arkham proper; so, those two slots do have to be filled before sending monsters to the outskirts. Also, pay strict attention when flyers go to Arkham from Dunwich. If there are already five (in your case) in Arkham, the flyers from Dunwich go to the outskirts.

4.5) You do put monsters at open-gate locations in Dunwich. Once you place a monster at every gate, monster limit permitting, you can place them however you like. However, if you have placed four monsters at four open gates, the fifth monster, if there is room, is going to the surging gate. No gate gets more than the gate that caused the surge.

If I haven't made things clear or I've confused you even more, don't hesitate to tell me so.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adan Moreno
msg tools
Thank you Brian but I am still confuse with the Monster Surge.

EX. 2 player game = 5 Monsters in the Outskirt.

4 gates open, 3 in Arkham and 2 in Dunwich a monster surge occurs and I have 3 Monsters in Arkham, first I add 2 monsters to the gates in Arkham then 2 more to Dunwich gates and the 5th monster goes to the Outskirt right?

If you can give me a correct example it would help a lot.

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Elsospechas wrote:

4 gates open, 3 in Arkham and 2 in Dunwich a monster surge occurs and I have 3 Monsters in Arkham, first I add 2 monsters to the gates in Arkham then 2 more to Dunwich gates and the 5th monster goes to the Outskirt right?

Thanks for your help!

2 players = monster limit 5; outskirt limit = 7.
You are at 5 monsters in the outskirts.
3 gates in Arkham, 2 in Dunwich, 3 monsters on the board in Arkham.

You get a surge. You take the greater of these two numbers = open gates or Players. 5>2 so you place 5 monsters,

The gate that would surge gets the monster first, so let's assume it was in Arkham and that we will fill Arkham first (decided before we pull any monsters).

Monster A goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 4.
Monster B goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 5. Arkham Limit met.
Monster C would go to Arkham, but instead goes to the Outskirts; monsters on board = 5. Monsters in Outskirts at 7 so under limit there so no further effect with Outskirts.

Monster D goes to Dunwich.
Monster E goes to Dunwich.

Let's say you actually had 4 monsters in Arkham to begin with (instead of 3) and 7 in the Outskirts (instead of 5) as this makes a more interesting example:

Monster A goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 5. Limit met.
Monster B would go to Arkham. However, city limit is exceeded so this monster goes to the Outskirts. However, outskirts is now exceeded. So all Monsters in the Outskirts go back to the bag (including Monster B) and your Terror Level increases by 1. The 5 monsters on the baord stay on the board.
Monster C would go to Arkham. However, city limit is exceeded so this monster goes to the Outskirts. Outskirts is now clear so you can place Monster C in the outskirts. Still 5 monsters on the board and now only 1 in the Outskirts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh, I see you now said you had 4 gates open but then said 3 in Arkham and 2 in Dunwich, I just went with the 5 gates total. But you should get the pattern now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Elsospechas wrote:

Thanks for your help!

2 players = monster limit 5; outskirt limit = 7.
You are at 5 monsters in the outskirts.
3 gates in Arkham, 2 in Dunwich, 3 monsters on the board in Arkham.

You get a surge. You take the greater of these two numbers = open gates or Players. 5>2 so you place 5 monsters,

The gate that would surge gets the monster first, so let's assume it was in Arkham and that we will fill Arkham first (decided before we pull any monsters).

Monster A goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 4.
Monster B goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 5.
Monster C goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 6. Still under limit so no further effect with Outskirts.

Let's say you actually had 6 monsters in Arkham to begin with (instead of 3) as this makes a more interesting example:

Monster A goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 7. Limit met.
Monster B goes to Arkham. However, city limit is exceeded so this monster goes to the Outskirts. However, outskirts is now exceeded. So all Monsters in the Outskirts go back to the bag (including Monster B) and your Terror Level increases by 1. The 7 monsters on teh baord stay on the board.
Monster C goes to Arkham. However, city limit is exceeded so this monster goes to the Outskirts. Outskirts is now clear so you can place Monster C in the outskirts. Still 7 monsters on the board and now only 1 in the Outskirts.

I'm a bit confused by this explanation. First, isn't the Outskirts limit 8 - # of Investigators. If there are two players (assuming one investigator each) wouldn't the limit be 6 instead of 7?

Second, if the Monster Limit in Arkham is 5, why are you using an example of 6 monsters already on the board? Perhaps it is a more interesting situation but may it not end up being more confusing to people unclear on the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
n107 wrote:
I'm a bit confused by this explanation. First, isn't the Outskirts limit 8 - # of Investigators. If there are two players (assuming one investigator each) wouldn't the limit be 6 instead of 7?

Second, if the Monster Limit in Arkham is 5, why are you using an example of 6 monsters already on the board? Perhaps it is a more interesting situation but may it not end up being more confusing to people unclear on the rules?

The explanation was confusing because unfortunately Brian made a couple of errors. Let's see if I can correct the errors with the following alternative examples.

BTW, I made another similar post a while back in the Choosing which monster to place where thread.

Example 1
2 players, 1 expansion board (Dunwich). Note that things change when using more than one expansion board.

Monster limit 5 (Number of Players + 3).
Outskirt limit = 6 (8 - Number of Players)

There are 5 monsters in the Outskirts.
3 gates in Arkham, 2 in Dunwich, 2 monsters on the board in Arkham.

You get a surge. You take the greater of these two numbers, Open Gates, Number of Players. Since the number of Open Gates (5) is greater than the Number of Players (2), you place 5 monsters.

Monster A goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 3.
Monster B goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 4.
Monster C goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 5. Now at limit but no further effect (the number of monster on board needs to exceed the limit before there is any effect).

End result
5 monsters on the Arkham board.
2 monsters on the Dunwich board.
5 monsters in the Outskirts.

Example 2
Let's say you actually had 4 monsters on the board in Arkham to begin with (instead of 2) and that there are 6 monsters in the Outskirts as this makes a more interesting example:

Monster A goes to Arkham, monsters on board = 5. Now at limit.
Monster B goes to Arkham. However, Monster limit is now exceeded so this monster goes to the Outskirts.
Monster B goes to the Outskirts. However, the Outskirts limit is now exceeded. All Monsters in the Outskirts go back to the bag (including Monster B) and your Terror Level increases by 1. The 5 monsters on the Arkham board stay there.
Monster C goes to Arkham. However, the Monster limit is still exceeded so this monster goes to the Outskirts. Outskirts is now clear so you place Monster C in the outskirts. Still 5 monsters on the Arkham board and now only 1 monster in the Outskirts.

End result
5 monsters on the Arkham board.
2 monsters on the Dunwich board.
1 monster in the Outskirts.
Terror Level increased by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This is what I get when I answer 5 minutes after getting out of bed. I typed in the limits to keep myself clear and then went and read the city limits as 7 (the outskirts limit) instead of 5. Revised my example to what I thought I was conveying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.