Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

i am planning to attend my first gencon 2012!
i hope to immerse myself as much as possible and i was wondering if volunteering will enable me to have a more immersive experience (i.e. make new friends, help, see another side of gencon) while i am there.

Any suggestions, tips, advice?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I volunteered for many, many years. Probably about 5-6 years in the auction and another 10 years in the anime room (back when there was only one room and we played good anime). Although I did, in fact, make some good friends, I only really did it to save money.

Now that I've spent the last 15 years going on my own dime, I can honestly say you won't be missing much if you don't volunteer. There is so much to do at GenCon that four days won't be enough as it is.

GenCon has been a ritual for me for a long time. I've been to 28 of the last 31. I know you'll have a great time. Welcome to the best four days in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alrighty

recommend hotel room and will there be a thread where people are looking to share rooms with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to every one since they came to Indy. I volunteered for the last 5 or so and I can tell you, if you volunteer, you will make some friends, but your volunteer time will usually be during the times the dealer room is open. So think about that. A lot of people are there for the night time gaming anyway, but then you will have to get up and be at work the next morning.

If you can swing it, go and play, work is awful when everyone around you is having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
also how does 1 buy as much as you want while still traveling domestic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have shipping on-site. You can send your crap home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started this thread two years ago.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/479826/i-dont-think-its-earl...

I got a lot of good advice from it. Hope it helps just the same.

edit: in case anyone was curious - this was how it went.
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/57543/tegre-goes-to-gencon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through tegre's excellent threads, i have some questions:

1) event tickets. What is it and what do you do with it?
2) Dealer hall. This is where auctions are? and i gather they only accept cash ya?
3) VIG pass. What is it and what do you do with it?
4) Raffle draws. What is it?
5) housing and booking. When the housing block opens and you book, are you booking for a hotel room? or is there some auto-pairing system that pair singles like me up with others?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Teague
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. Event tickets reserve you a space for an event. Most events are $2/2 hr events, so it's really not bad for an event you want to play. So events are a lot more expensive (e.g., True Dungeon)
2. Dealer Hall is where different companies have booths. Many run demoes of their games and buy (most take credit cards).
3. I've never done VIG. It gets you some benefits (getting into the dealers hall early, some VIG only events) but I don't know if it's worth the extra $
4. Raffles, no idea. Hope you're lucky
5. Housing opens up after registration. You get a code after you preregistration for the hotels.

The main thing I suggest for newbies is preregister and sign up for events you want to play. Give yourself some time to eat and visit the dealers hall and other things going on at the con. Most importantly, have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think VIG is worth it, rather save that money for more games you know?

Start going through last year's event catalog now to get a sense of what all is going on and start making a list of events you might want to attend. Their days/times may be different in 2012, but you'll have a leg up on planning and have a good sense of how much free time you do or don't have.
http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/

It's good policy to sign up for events in advance, otherwise they might sell out. However, events with openings will take $2 generic tickets (how many depends on the normal price of that event) and your best shot at getting in on "standby" is to arrive early - it's a first-com first-served sort of thing.

If you're not sure, book it! You can return unused tickets as long as you return them BEFORE the event begins. However, try NOT to book unwanted events on the first day prior to, oh, say 5pm. There will still be too many lines with people picking up stuff and conducting other business. Ideally, you don't want to have to get in lines until day 2.

Shipping is on-site if you need it, so no worries about buying too much stuff and being unable to get it home. Food is on-site as well, but it's not really much to brag about. You'll have to decide if it's worth the time to leave the hall to get something better. Last year, I brought two bags of caramel popcorn with me and it was a lifesaver for those times when I needed to catch something to eat but didn't want to leave the gaming tables for whatever reason. Very much planning to do the same this year, or peanuts, or granola bars, or whatever you like.

If you're on a budget, look for people to share a room with. In past years we've fit 6-8 people in a suite just fine, since you only ever use the room to sleep and shower. Yeah, you might be sleeping on cushions, inflatable mattresses, or sleeping bags, but you'll come home with more games

The dealer's hall closes *ridiculously* early. I believe it's 6pm? I realize that the people working there have lives and all but for gamers this is a lot like closing at lunchtime for normal people. I think they'd be better off opening later and staying open into the evening. But, you have to deal with it. SO, make sure you have enough non-event time during the pre-6pm hours to cruise the hall. There's a lot to see and try in there and you'll be sorry if you overbooked and didn't make room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.