Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Just want to clarify if the group only needs one last letter, when they get it, is the random letter still given out to the other players? (seems from the rules the answer should be yes).

2. The rules say "Immediately after getting rewards for the completed tasks check whether there is a group of players (at least without one player!) who completed at least one element each (A,B,C,D,E and F). If so, the game ends. (emphasis mine)

I think this is worded incorrectly, this is the tricky English language for you as the bold statement can be taken two ways and I'll bet some people will end up playing this wrong. This whole paragraph together can be taken in maybe three ways, in which at least one is obviously wrong. Here are the other two, which is correct?

A) In a 3 player game, two of the players have to have combined between them all of the letters for them to escape?

In a 4 player game, 3 of the players have to have between them the 6 letters to escape?

B) In a 3 player game, the three players need to have between them all 6 letters to escape but at least one player can NOT have a unique letter.

Does this mean that if every player has a unique letter, and all 6 elements have been gathered, the game does not end? Will play continue until at least one player does NOT have a unique element?

I think this is what the rule is suggesting. So if 3 players, and each player had exactly 2 letters each, they don't escape as there is no loser, even though you could determine one by the tie break, it would seem that that the tie break does NOT apply here and the game must continue until one player does NOT have a unique letter by someone completed a task that negates another player's unique letter.

The tie break is used if two players both do not have unique letters, then you must determine who is the most useless.

3. What if everyone has a unique letter, ie 3 player game and 3 players have exactly 2 letters each, do you keep playing until someone's letter is NOT unique?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the extra letter should still be given out as it is part of the same reward for completing a task, it just happens after the player who did the action gets their letter.

I think the ambiguity comes from the poor English translation but it should be interpreted as follows:

All 6 letters need to have been obtained by some combination of players, such that at least one player is not required to be in that group.

For example, Player 1 has A, C & E. Player 2 has B, C, D & F. Player 3 has A, B & C. In this case players 1 and 2 have all 6 letters between them and player 3 loses.

So in your example of 3 players each having two unique letters you would continue playing. One player has to lose. Theoretically in a 4 player game you could have 2 of the players having all 6 letters between them but one of the others would get to come along (determined by the tie breaker) so that only one player ends as the scapegoat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. Random letter is dealt every time a task is completed. Last task in a game is no exception here.

2. Well... English is tricky - especially if it is not your native language and it is a "game rules english". And, man, we re-read this part like ten times to avoid different interpretations - and I see that they are still there

With this said, I'm glad you managed to get it right. Sometimes I think that intuition actually works better than specific rules

To be clear:
If by some chance 6 letters are obtained but it is impossible to arrange a combination of players in which one is left behind - game goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.