Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, we played a 4 player game of this the other day and wow it was a really interesting game with an even more interesting ending.

Negotiations were nasty overall, not a game you want to play with people who get their feelings hurt easily. Due to this, people were not all together co-operating and the writing on the wall was quickly becoming evident, we were destined to STAY behind the wall, for life....

After watching the first goat not get a letter when the first task was finally completed, people started collected goat cards to try and protect themselves from being the goat. This meant that the goats were strong, and that tasks were generally hard to complete so game was winding down, and we still needed a bunch of letters.

Near the end of the game, finally another task gets completed and now we look around and see that only one 2 more letters are needed, the B and E, and E is on the board, there is hope, we might get out of this shithole yet!

Another couple rounds go by, we get a little closer to getting the E done but there is only 3 rounds left now, not looking good at all. Okay we all look around, who is going to be the weakest goat here so we might actually get that E done? Everyone notices that I only have one goat card, and only have one of the items that others also have, sorry Jason it must be you. Damn!

Unfortunately for me, by me being the goat and going first this meant that Vincent, the only other player who did not have a unique part of the plan was going to go last, and thus had a good chance to get the E for himself. I do my best to hinder the progress of the others, knowing that it might actually be our only chance to escape, but also knowing if Vincent gets the E I'm likely doomed to this hell for good anyway. My goat powers were not enough, and the task gets done and as I feared, on Vincent's turn. Well who knows, if we are lucky enough to get the B, hopefully I can set up myself to be the one who gets it.

Our ONLY chance to get out of this hell hole is if the next task turns out to be a B, we have a 1 in 6 chance, hope dims. So we resolve the task, Vincent gets the all important E, random letter comes out, a D. I wasn’t going to get it but I had it, and more importantly so did the other 2 non-goat players. Had this been a different letter like the A, the other person who had A as a unique letter would no longer of had a unique letter, there by giving me a better chance to get out of here!

“Oh well, we're all doomed anyway, next task is very unlikely to be B anyway" I think to myself. Next task in flipped over and its a B! “Holy crap! Let's get out of here, quick!” 2 rounds left, boy is it going to be tight.

Everyone somewhat works together this 2nd last round setting up the one chance we have, well, all except the current goat that is who was busy setting himself up best he could too. At the end of this round, it looks like holy sheeet, we’re getting out of here, only thing left to do is decide on who will be the unlucky goat last round! I had prior grabbed some goat cards in prep for this so that would hopefully not be chosen, but I was still a target considering I was the now the only one without a unique letter. But wait! I wisely gathered 2 of the 3 items required to complete the all important B, and other players only had 1 or none, I was in, sweet!

Last round! 20th guard appears in Cell Block 10. The all important vote happens, and poor Vincent gets chosen to be the goat. Hmmm, at first I thought great Vincent is the goat that should be good, and to be honest we we’re all so focused on just escaping and in shock that we now actually could, that one major detail was over looked. With Vincent as the goat, unfortunately for me this meant I went first since I was after him in the seating order and after carefully looking at the board, ultimately meant there was NO way in hell, I could go and finish the task on my turn. No B for me meant I was going to be the loser, the poor sap that was going to stay behind in the prison, hiding my butt whenever in the showers, taking constant shit from the guards, my friends would be gone, hmm, wait, what?! "Well Damn it all!" "You bastards!!" "You knew this the whole time didn’t you??!!" They shake their heads and give their best innocent look, and it may have been genuine and it may not have been, it didn’t matter as the precursors in my mind had already started, and quickly finished, and now once again the writing was on the wall. “Well if I’m staying in here, we’re all staying in here!!!" Evil Laugh, hahahahaha devil. I took my all important items and said “Hey boys, SEE YA!!” And I ran my ass to the other end of the prison, taking with me any chances of anyone escaping, away.

-----------

Wow what an ending, not very optimal but we all had a good laugh, we checked and double checked things and that was that, we lost, thanks to me. LOL I guess I can be looked at as a poor loser, but on my last turn knowing I was going to lose I honestly didn’t know what else to do. Even more funny, the random letter people we're going to get was, another B! We're not sure exactly what that meant, I think I was still going lose but we knew that if it was another B there was a chance I wouldn't have, the odds were really against another B either way though in my mind... laugh

Lessons learned:

- TURN ORDER is an important factor to consider when voting for a goat, not just the usual and obvious other factors. If you want to be the one to complete a plan, who have to try your best to be the one in the right spot and the right time, no easy task but turn order is huge here.

- If you are going to vote a goat that has unique letters, be very careful about who is the non-goat with no unique letters, where he is in the turn order and even better, make sure you don’t need him to escape!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Wong
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! That was a pretty brutal game, where no one trusted each other. If only we had a to chance to steal your items before you could run away; then we would have escaped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Report!

I'm very glad you enjoy the game so much. It is true that the last turns in the game tend to get tricky... but so is escaping from prison

And thumbs up for thinking this much ahead. Another important factor in the game is "where I want to be in the next turn", and I think you mastered this fast

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly there is no turn order for the Non scape goat players. They can take their turns in any order, it's up to them to negotiate. That probably would have changed your game significantly.

Great report though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
If I remember correctly there is no turn order for the Non scape goat players. They can take their turns in any order, it's up to them to negotiate. That probably would have changed your game significantly.

Great report though.

They go clockwise starting from the goat. Turn order matters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.