Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb

151st BS ......... 152nd BS ......... 153rd BS ......... 154th BS

BG...................BB...................GB..................GG

“Gentlemen at ease. The Luftwaffe was waiting for us over Kassel, I hope everyone has recuperated from that mission with all the time off due to weather. Let’s keep our formations tight today boys so we can bring everyone home. Today we go to "Happy Valley," the Ruhr Valley… ” Sgt. Murphy Pull the curtain please…”

We are still accepting new planes to join the group, as we start a second tour. For those of you just joining us, here is a summary of the "rules," as they are:
* I will be rolling up the mission parameters, fighter support, flak cover, weather and date for all missions.
* There is no required format for reporting your results, but the more info you present the more entertaining it is for everyone. If you track who gets injured, how many fighter kills, etc., then I can summarize that info at the end of the mission period for all bombers.
* All flights must be flown by the following Sunday (in this case, 12/01/22 ), and I will prepare an After Action Report the following Monday. If you happen to miss a week or two, no big deal, just join back in when you can.
* All planes are assigned to a squadron. If you are new, just post a response in the thread giving your plane name and you will be assigned a squadron. Squadrons are being given a position (High, Middle, Low or Low- Low.) by jasta6, as recorded here.
* Lead and Tail positions are still being assigned to volunteers. Please note that only bombers in MIDDLE position can be lead, and only bombers in LOW-LOW position can be tail. So if you are in one of those squadrons, and nobody has yet volunteered for a position, roll 1d6. If you get a 6, you are the lucky winner.
* Some optional rules can be found here.

”… Gelsenkirchen,” a city just south of Hüls to take out Hilers synthetic oil operations.....” Good luck and Gods speed boys!”

MISSION Eighty-One:
Date: Thursday, August 12, 1943 (13 day from last mission)
Primary Target: Gelsenkirchen, Germany. SO/I (Geisenberg Benzine & Hydrogenation Synthetic Oil Refinery)
Secondary Target: None

Bomb Load: 16 x 250 lb British Incendiary Bombs
Bombing Altitude: 27,300 ft (Middle Group)

Gazetteer:
Outbound: Zone 2: –2 W / Zone 3: -2 W-B / Zone 4: -2 B-N / Zone 5: -1 N / Zone 6: -1 G

Inbound: Zone 2: –2 W / Zone 3: -1 B-W / Zone 4: -1 B / Zone 5: 0 B / Zone 6: +1 G

Primary Target Flak O/B: Heavy
Primary Target Flak I/B: Medium

Primary Target Weather: Bad 9/10 Cloud & Smoke Cover (-2 modifier to the O-6 Table)
Secondary Target Weather: N/A
Base Weather: Good 2/10 Cloud Cover (No modifiers)

(4th FG’s P-47 inbound) {Note; as of August we can pick up Friendly fighters in Zone 6, got-a love drop tanks.}
Zone 2 outbound: none
Zone 3 outbound: none
Zone 4 outbound: none
Zone 5 outbound: none
Zone 6 outbound: none
Zone 6 inbound: none
Zone 5 inbound: poor
Zone 4 inbound: good
Zone 3 inbound: fair
Zone 2 inbound: good

Note: Gents, don’t forget to add your Squadron Positions modifiers to the above Gazetteer values.

Mission Special Rules:

A) No special rules for this mission.

Mission Map:

Ruhr Valley Industrial Area:

-Historical Mission: (from “The Mighty 8th War Diary by R.A.Freeman) Mission 81 The Mighty Eighth 1BW flew to Bochum, Gelsenkirchen and Recklinghausen. 4BW flew to Bonn.. The first BW became separated and most groups bombed targets of opportunity. 300 Fortresses sortied with 243 bombing targets. There were twenty-four planes lost and six crewmen killed in returning Fortress’s. fifty-six men were wounded. 253 men were listed MIA.

The 303rd operation notes, for their mission 57, The 303rd noted that they didn’t see enemy fighters till after the bomb run. Then there was a forty-five minute fight with the Luftwaffe till the P-47’s showed up. This has been reflected in the modified Gazetteer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
**Please read and follow as it will help me collate the information for the roster thread** Thank You!

Again, please remember I would like players to, at a minimum, list the Crew (pilots name with rank and Planes name of their Fortress at the beginning of all AAR post to help me facilitate updating the Roster List? Please use the format below as this will help me create the list in a timely manor.

If this format is not followed I may have to pass over your record as it takes more time to compile than it should have to. Adding this information will make it much easier to assemble this extra fluff for our campaign. Please remember to also add your pilot’s rank.

Thank You!

EXAMPLE wrote:
Pilot: 1st Lt.. Andy Anybody
B-17: "Bombs Alot/Miss Alot"

Also please add your Bombardment Squadron somewhere at the top too. This will help me in data entry. i.e. 154th BS

P.S. As I am keeping stats of the campaign for mission reports could you list your enemy aircraft probable and damage information as well as your kills in one short entry. Example: (KIA = 5, Prob = 2 & Damg = 5)

Jim P cool
Thanks....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
281st BG (V) Aircraft Roster for Mission 81 [Gelsenkirchen, Germany. Sy/O]

- Player's Squadron Assignment can be found at this thread: Squadron Assignment

- Squadron Positions for this mission can be found at this thread: Squadron Positions

Mission : (Volunteers)
---- Lead: 1st Lt. G. Gates's Crew in "Continental Lady"
---- Tail: 1st Lt. Walter Zabalaoui's Crew in "Tru Bella II" (B-17F-65-B0 42-29697)

151st BS - BG:
1st Lt. Robert Schoens Crew in "Silver Dollar" [AAR]
2nd Lt. George Kipouros Crew in "Pagrati Ole" [AAR] LOST

152nd BS - BB:
1st Lt. H. Gates Crew in "Continental Lady" [AAR] MIA (Lead A/C)
1st Lt. Frank Vincent's Crew in "Yellow Stone" (B17F-70-BO-42-120112) [AAR] LOST

153rd BS - GB:
Capt George Anderson's Crew in "Big Red" [AAR] LOST
Capt. Benjamin Willard's Crew in "The Crystal Ship" [AAR]
Capt. Broderick Young's Crew in "Here We Go Again" [AAR]
2nd Lt. Joe Friday's Crew in "JUST THE FLAK MA'AM" [AAR]
2nd Lt Laurie LaPorte's Crew in "Anna's Touch" (B-17F-115 42-30669) [AAR]

154st BS - GG:
1st Lt. Randy Pierson's Crew in "HONEY STAR" [AAR]
1st Lt. Walter Zabalaoui's Crew in "Tru Bella II" [AAR] Cat-E (Tail A/C)
2nd Lt. Roger Daley's Crew in Columbia Calling (B-17F-1-BO 42-4357) [AAR] Cat-E
2Lt Jeffrey Grainger's Crew in "Havana Dancer" [AAR]

Lt. Col. Chase Pfalzstaff
Deptuy Commander
Elveden Hall, UK
3rd Bombardment Wing HQ

(edits; Crews added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir,

The Continental Lady volunteers to fly lead bomber for Mission 81.

1st Lt. Gates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverinetoddy wrote:
Sir,

The Continental Lady volunteers to fly lead bomber for Mission 81.

1st Lt. Gates

...As Lieutenant Gates leaves the office with a spark in his step, LTC Pfalzstaff just though "these new young officers are so eager to be dead heroes..." All Chase could do was shake his head and get back to writing condolence letters to Mrs. Vincent and Mrs. Skordalias...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1st Lt. G. Gates's Crew in "Continental Lady"is approved for lead A/C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR)
Pilot: 1st Lt. Robert Schoens
Mission: 81 (4)
B-17: Silver Dollar
Squadron: 151st Rapture Time
Target: Gelsenkirchen - SO/I (Geisenberg Benzine & Hydrogenation Synthetic Oil Refinery)

Crew Assigned:
Bombardier 2nd Lt Manny Sanchez (2)
Navigator 2nd Lt Raymond Hanson (3) **
Pilot 1st Lt Robert "Bob" Schoens (4)
Co-Pilot 2nd Bill Petso (3)
Engineer Msgt Edison Cain (2) **
Radio Operator Tsgt John Griffith (4)
Ball Gunner Sgt Edward Silverstone (4) **
Port Waist Gunner Sgt William "Billy" Wright (3)
Starboard Waist Gunner Sgt George Roach (4)
Tail Gunner Sgt Donald Blair (3)

* one enemy fighter
# five enemy fighters
( ) missions

Claims: Engineer E. Cain (1) FW 190, Ball Gunner E. Silverstone (1) ME 109

Crew Injuries/Casualties: Port Waist Gunner W. Wright (KIA), Starboard Waist Gunner (KIA), Radio Operator J. Griffith (KIA), Bombardier M. Sanchez (SW-IH), Co-Pilot B. Petso (LW)

Bomb Drop: Off Target - 0%

B-17's Disposition: Tail guns inoperable, radio out, Tail suit heater out, Rudder 100% inoperable, Autopilot (tail) destroyed, Port Wing root 40% damaged, rafts destroyed, Navigational Equipment inoperable, Port Outboard Fuel Tank leak, (11) superficial hits.

Mission Description:

We expected heavy resistance on this one and we got it. An ace pilot in a single yellow nosed 109 made one pass at us in zone 4 but left the area after passing through our formation.

Zone 5 is where we were mauled. (5) FW190's with (2) aces leading them in shredded us. The first dove in from above and shells tore into us from nose to tail. Winged our co-pilot, seriously injured the port waist gunner and took out a large chuck of rudder. On the second pass, we lost the rafts, the radio and another section of the rudder, and our other waist gunner was knocked out.

We moved onto the IP and tried to assess the situation, but (5) more 190's showed up and finished off both waist gunners in a single pass. They mortally wounded the bombardier and took out the tail guns as well. They would have killed Don in the back , but he was dragging George out of his waist position to take over there. Just as he had Georges body stowed, a shell came through and nearly severed both legs. Another jolt hit the plane and Ed in the ball turret said fuel was coming out of the port wing outboard tank. We transferred as much as we could into the other tanks and crossed our fingers. Double-crossed them actually having no radio or rafts. Flak finally removed what rudder was left.

We damn near kicked the bombs out trying to get them out as fast as we could. With the weather being as it was there was no chance to see where they went, but there was no way they could have struck the target. We even took a flak hit on the way out, but minor damage in the nose.

Another lone 109 came in from 3 level and put a few holes here and there but nothing major. Another wave was diverted away by other ships.

A quiet zone 5 and a second wave driven off in zone 4 left us thinking we might have a chance to reach an emergency field in England.

In zone 3 a pair of 109's were present, but our little friends chased them off with one 109 getting swatted out of the air.

Manny, our bombardier will recover but is headed home to New York.

The Silver Dollar took it on the chin today, but not enough Peckham Points to keep her from flying over Adolf's house for next mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Silver Dollar took it on the chin today, but not enough Peckham Points to keep her from flying over Adolph's house for next mission!

Adolf.

Sorry, the OCD in me was having a seizure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gentlemen, your enemy today :-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
Quote:
The Silver Dollar took it on the chin today, but not enough Peckham Points to keep her from flying over Adolph's house for next mission!

Adolf.

Sorry, the OCD in me was having a seizure...

Fixed. A little OCD here too. OK, maybe more than a little... (I just fixed this too! AHH!)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Yeardley
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

B-17: B17F 1-BO-024357 Columbia Calling; Call sign: Greenhorn Charlie
Pilot: 2nd Lt. Roger Daley
Squadron: 154th BS
Mission: 81 This bomber (3)
Date: August 12, 1943
Target: Gelsenkirchen Oil Refinery
Position: Low low

Crew Status:
Pilot 2nd Lt. Roger Daley (12)
Co-pilot 2nd Lt. Oliver Reckitt (3)
Bombardier 2nd Lt. Harry King (4) SW repatriated
Navigator 2nd Lt. Hengist Pod (1); Kills (0) KIA
Engineer Sgt. Eustice Tewle (10); Kills (13.5)
Radio Operator Sgt. Johnny Finger (7); Kills (2) KIA
Ball Gunner Sgt. Nicholas Parts (12); Kills (6.5)
Port Waist Sgt. Jack Bell (1) ; Kills (0)
Starboard Waist Sgt. Charlie Roper (3); Kills (0)
Tail Gunner Sgt. James (Jimmy) Widdle (12); Kills (13)

1st brackets (Mission Number)

Bomb Drop:
0%.

Fighters Claimed:

Kills:-
Me 110 x 2
Me 109 x 4
Fw 190 x 3

Probables:-
Me 110 x 0
Me 109 x 2
Fw 190 x 2

Damaged
:
Me 110 x 0
Me 109 x 0
Fw 190 x 0

Medal Recommendations:
2nd Lt. Hengist Pod Purple Heart (posthumous)
2nd Lt. Harry King Purple Heart
Sgt. Johnny Finger Purple Heart (posthumous)

B-17 Status
:

317 Peckham points. Category E

Port landing gear destroyed, port flap hit x2 destroyed, port tail root x1, port & stbd elevators destroyed, tail gun disabled, port aileron hit x1,port wing root x1, port wing superficial damage, No 4 engine disabled (no feather), port waist gun disabled, tail superficial damage, Navigator and Radio operator Killed, Bombardier seriously wounded.

Number of fighter attacks: 24 from 22 fighters
Number of fighters driven off 0
Number of fighters downed: 9
Fighter hits 7

Flak:

Burst 1: 4 hits in the tail section
Burst 2: 2 hits in the Radio Room
Burst 3: 3 hits in the port wing

Mission Report

I am sure glad that Sgt. Tewle was back with us after his convalescence. If it wasn’t for him the two FW190s that attacked us in zone 2 would have caught us with our pants down. His top turret work killed one whilst the tail turret damaged the other enough for it to head back toward France in double quick time.

All went quiet after that until zone 6 when we were beat up by two waves of bandits, Me 109s and 110s. Jimmy, in the tail, took out a 110 sneaking up low on our six. That made his kills equal to Eustace Tewle’s, 10 apiece. Not for long though, as Eustace downed a 109 coming from 1:30 high.

Unfortunately the Bombardier and Navigator were not so lucky. The Me109 coming at us head on hit the nose compartment with a very accurate burst of fire that left the Bombardier completely incapacitated with a nasty shoulder wound and the Navigator slumped dead over the starboard cheek MG. The German was good as on his next pass he damaged our port landing gear and port flap. His cockiness was his undoing as the tail gunner shot off his tail as he flew under our tail.

Then we were on the run in to the target. I know we didn’t have a chance of hitting the target without our bombardier but I was not going all the way to Germany and then abort at the last minute. When I saw how thick the flak was it was too late to change my mind and we paid for that with damage to the port wing, radio room and the tail section.

I know the kid’s yelling got on our nerves but I am going to miss his enthusiastic whooping and hollering every time we made a kill. Apparently a sliver of shrapnel went clear through is neck. We only realised our radio man was dead, after the bomb run, when Jimmy had to abandoned the useless tail guns to man the nose MG. The kid didn’t respond to a wise crack Jimmy made in passing and, well you can imagine the rest.

Three more waves of fighters came at us as we turned for home 109s, 190s, and then more 109s. The top turret took out another 109 from the first wave. He then killed a190 in the second wave, as did the ball gunner, and put a good hit into another as it swung in for a second attack. The third wave of fighters disabled the No. 4 engine and we couldn’t get it feathered. I also heard from the port waist that his gun was scrap so I ordered him to move up to the navigator’s position.

By the time we entered zone 5 the unfeathered number four prop was slowing us down so I had to drop out of formation. Now that is a lonesome sight, seeing your buddies heading for home knowing that we’re the sitting duck, especially with our backside unprotected.

Our only comfort was that we now had an ace in the ball turret and two double aces top and front. Not that it did Jimmy any good being away from his beloved tail guns and on a single MG in the nose, but it was better than having an unmanned gun.

Despite our slow progress we only had one wave of fighters attack us in zone 5. Our boys must have bit into them good as this group was made up of an ad hoc formation of a 110, a 109, and a 190. We may have looked like easy pickings for the Germans but we still had teeth. The ball gunner killed the 110 and Jimmy dispatched the 109 coming from our 12 o’clock despite his not being used to a single MG.

We made a slow and tense progress through zone 4 and had almost cleared zone 3 when a lone fw190 come down on us from 10:30 high. I think he must have been low on fuel and ammo. He didn’t hit us nor we him.

The closer we flew to base the more relaxed we became. That is until we carried out the before landing checks. We had taken a lot of damage to the port wing and it was coming to light how much damage. The port flap had been blown away as had the main wheel and the port aileron was useless. If I wasn’t really careful the wheeless port gear struts would dig in and cause us to cartwheel into oblivion.

Using differential thrust on the remaining three engines, the rudder, one flap and one aileron the co-pilot and I kept our baby together for most of the landing but we knew as soon as those struts hit the deck we would just be passengers in a destruction derby.

As you can see by the wreck at the end of the runway that’s exactly what happened. By some miracle the Columbia mostly held together and kept her boys from further harm. She will never fly again Sir, but she hung tough for us today. Boeing sure know how to build em that's for sure.

2nd Lt. Roger Daley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR)
Pilot: 1st Lt. H. Gates
B-17: Continental Lady (Mission 2)
Squadron: 152nd Bomber Squadron, 281st Bombardment Group
Mission: 81, August 12, 1943
Target: Gelsenkirchen, Germany (Refinery)

Crew Assigned: Position: Rank & Name (mission #) Casualties, Kills, Damaged

Bombardier: 2nd Lt. C. Lee (2) KIA K: 2-109, P: 1-109
Navigator: 2nd Lt. P. Schuyler (2) KIA
Pilot: 1st Lt. H. Gates (1) KIA
Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt. A. Ward (2) KIA
Engineer: Mst. Sgt. H. Knox (2) KIA K: 1-109 P: 1-109
Radio Oper.: T.Sgt.J. Sullivan (2) KIA
Ball Gunner: Sgt. B. Lincoln (1) KIA K: 1-110
Pt Waist G: Sgt. D. Morgan (1) KIA
Stbd Waist G: Sgt. E. Allan (1) KIA
Tail Gunner: Sgt. N. Greene (2) KIA

Fighters Encountered: Ace: 0, Average: 10, Green: 1
Fighters Damaged (D):
Fighters Probable Kills (P): 2-109
Fighters Killed (K): 3-109, 1-110

Bomb Run: N/A

B-17 Damage: Destroyed when flak detonated the bomb load.

Landing: N/A

Mission Description: Filed by Major Eyanni, commanding 152nd Bomber Squadron

At the briefing this morning, it was announced that the 281st would be heading back Germany and that my boys from the 152nd squadron would fly lead squadron. I was sitting next to Lt. Gates and Lt. Ward. Gates turned to Ward and smiled that too confident smile of a new pilot and said “Want to fly lead?” Mr. Ward laughed and replied “why not, the view might be better up front.” After the briefing, I was on the way to see LTC Pfalzstaff and watched the young pilots racing out of his office. The Colonel was shaking his head and mumbling something to himself. I didn’t ask.

According to eyewitness reports from the 152nd, during the outbound flight to Gelsenkirchen, Lt Ward announced to the squadron in Zone 5 over Belgium that his Pilot had been killed and that he was taking command of the plane. Despite the heavy weather, Lt. Schuyler led the group straight to the target. Flak over the target was reported as very heavy with the Lady taking seven flak hits. One of those shells detonated the bomb load. A gunner from the squadron reported that the Continental Lady simply disappeared in a ball of flame. No parachutes were spotted and the entire crew has been declared killed in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverinetoddy wrote:

B-17 Damage: Destroyed when flak detonated the bomb load.

two in a row for the German side, it smells like a cursed place zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Yeardley
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:

Gentlemen, your enemy today :-

Oh yeah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As 1st Lieutenant Zabalaoui left LTC Pfalzstaff's office, his copilot ran up to him questioning "Walter what's up... what'd the old man want with you?"

All Zabalaoui could do was walk on shaking his head and murmuring "we're dead... Tail end ship into Germany.... we're finished..." the young lieutenant seems not to have noticed the copilot keeping pace with him, much less the pail expression that overcame Lieutenant Faircloth's face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Elveden...shit ; I'm still only in Elveden...every time I think I'm going to wake up back in the air. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there would be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said yes to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there ; when I was there, all I could think about was getting back into the air. I'm here thirteen days now, waiting for a mission, getting softer ; every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Jerry huddles over his guns, getting stronger. Each time I look around, the walls move in a little tighter...

gamer72 wrote:

Gelsenkirchen AAR

Mission 81/Bomber 5
Squadron : 153rd
Pilot : Captain Willard
B-17 : The Crystal Ship

Crew :-

Pilot Cptn Willard (5)
CoPilot Lt Morrison (5)
Navigator Lt Manzarek * (5)
Bombardier Lt Kurtz * (5)
Engineer Mstr Sgt Phillips #*^ (5)
Radio Operator Sgt Krieger ** (5)
Ball Turret Sgt Johnson ##*^ (5)
Waist Gunner Sgt Miller ** (5)
Waist Gunner Sgt Hicks * (5)
Tail Turret Sgt Densmore #* (5)

() : missions previously completed.
# : 5 fighters previously claimed.
* : fighters previously claimed.
^ : half fighter previously claimed.

Fighters claimed : 1 x Me 110 KIA, 3 Damaged.
Bombing results : 0 % off target.
Injuries : Light wound for Lieutenant Manzarek.

Debrief

It didn't sound so bad. A little trip to the Ruhr, only six zones, and drop tanks on the friendlies so they could go the whole way. What the briefing didn't tell us was that the Ruhr was one gigantic flak trap. I was going to the worst place in the world, and I didn't even know it yet. Well, hell. As Colonel Pfalzstaff pointed out, they've got the guns, but we've got the numbers.

We never saw a damned kraut, all the way to the Ruhr. Not one stinking kraut ! Nor any friendlies, either. Then, three 190s hit us over Gelsenkirchen. Miller might have damaged one, but his buddy put a few shells into us, knocking a lump out of the starboard wing root and scratching Manzarek. Densmore hit him with a passing shot, but he didn't go down.

Then the barrage, flak like I've never seen before, and hope to never see again. The ship rocked from side to side, and shrapnel hurtled through the fuselage, and the thought reaches your head with the cold, sudden fury of a divine messenger, that there is no safety or surprise from it : the music's over, turn out the lights. We lost the Chief's top turret guns, and Manzarek nearly had his head took off when a foot-wide piece of shell casing turned his table into scrap, and yet we counted ourselves lucky. There was an almighty flash above us to port, as someone in the 152nd was terminated, with extreme prejudice.

Very obviously, Fritz knew we were coming, and had moved every flak cannon in the goddamned Reich to fire at us. We never saw the factory : a huge pall of smoke hung over it from a massive smokescreen. Kurtz bombed on a TOT, but who knows if we hit anything. The flak took some more of us as we turned for home, knocking out the bomb bay doors and blowing several holes through the wings, without apparent effect. Two 110s and a 109 "Smasher" latched onto us, but Johnson took one of them down and they failed to hit us. As we left Germany and entered Belgium, two 109s came at us from front and aft, but Densmore damaged one and the other flew off.

We saw no more fighters, and landed at Elveden without incident, passing Daley's crate being shovelled off the edge of the runway. The Chief is staying with the Crystal Ship to oversee the repairs : the rest of the crew is going to whoop it up at the D & D, and I may just join them.

Captain Benjamin Willard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report #C3M81
August 12th 1943

A/C name (number): "Anna's Touch" (B-17F-115 42-30669)
Pilot: 1st Lt. Laurie LaPorte
Unit: 153rd Bombardment Squadron, 218th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
Callsign: Pushover Dog
Mission #: 81/7/11
Primary Target: Synthetic Oil Refinery, Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Secondary Target: None
Position P/S: Middle/Low

Crew/Status/Actions:
Pilot: 1Lt. Laurie LaPorte/LW
-Home: Zap, North Dakota
-Serial Number: O-7974083 (DC)
-Purple Heart
-Missions Completed: 11
Co-Pilot: 2Lt. Irving Hardge/LW
-Home: Searchlight, Nevada (AC)
-Serial Number: O-9889587
-Purple Heart w/ cluster
-Missions Completed: 3
Bombardier: 1Lt. Melvin Sullivan/FB-rcvr+LW
-Home: Campton, New Hampshire
-Serial Number: O-2315381 (AC)
-Purple Heart w/ three clusters
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 4
-Missions Completed: 12
Navigator: F/O Robert Choi/OK
-Home: Pittsburg, Pennsylvania
-Serial Number: T-60957
-Purple Heart w/ two clusters
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 2
-Missions Completed: 5
Flt Engineer: T-4 Nelson Husbands/OK
-Home: Los Angeles, California
-Serial Number: 39506396 (DRF)
-Distinguished Flying Cross
-Air Medal w/ two clusters
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 24
-Missions Completed: 10
R/O: T-3 Norman Hall/OK
-Home: Frederick, Maryland
-Serial Number: 13199771 (RA)
-Distinguished Flying Cross
-Air Medal w/ two clusters
-Purple Heart
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 9
-Missions Completed: 14
Ball Gnr: Sgt. Lionel Riederer/SW-RR
-Serial Number: 20893468 (NMNG)
-Distinguished Flying Cross w/ cluster
-Purple Heart w/ cluster
-Air Medal
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 20.5
-Missions Completed: 8
Port Wst: Sgt. Allan Hempel/OK
-Home: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
-Serial Number: 32714715 (DRF)
-Purple Heart
-Air Medal
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 2.5
-Missions Completed: 3
Strb Wst: Sgt. Glen Aikin/OK
-Home: Berlin, New Hampshire
-Serial Number: 11270085 (RA)
-Missions Completed: 1
Tail Gnr: Sgt. Rick Nowacki/OK
-Home: Fort Kent, Maine
-Serial Number: 31793491 (DRF)
-Missions Completed: 1

Medal/Promotion Recommendations:
1st Lieutenant Laurie LaPorte: Purple Heart
1st Lieutenant Melvin Sullivan: Purple Heart
2nd Lieutenant Irving Hardge
Sergeant Lionel Riederer: Purple Heart
Technician Fourth Grade Nelson Husbands: Air Medal
Technician Fourth Grade Nelson Husbands to Technician Third Grade

Enemy Aircraft Claimed:
Technician Third Grade Norman Hall: 1 x Me-110
Technician Fourth Grade Nelson Husbands: 2 x Fw-190, 1 x Fw-190 probable, 1 x Me-109 probable
Sergeant Lionel Riederer: 1 x Fw-190, 1 x Fw-190 probable

Enemy Aircraft Encountered:
Single Engine: 13
Twin Engine: 1

Bomb Drop: ON
Bombing Accuracy: 30%
Bomb Load: 16 x 250 lb. Incendiaries
Bombing Altitude: 27,300 ft.

B-17 Status: 230 pts, repairable
Bombardier, navigator, and starboard gunner suit heater connections inoperable; bombardier, Radio, and tail oxygen systems damaged; dorsal, tail, and Port guns inoperable; rudder inoperable; starboard aileron inoperable; port brakes out; radio out; cockpit window cracked; bomb bay doors shot off; tailplane damamged

Mission Description:

Report pending release from the hospital of command crew.

-E. Acton

Replacements:
2Lt. Frank Erskine: Co-Pilot
F/O Charles Morgan: Bombardier
Sgt. Vernon Evert: Ball Gunner

1Lt. Melvin Sullivan: RTD One day
2Lt. Irving Hardge: RTD One day
2Lt. Samuel Binder: RTD Three days
Sgt. Lionel Riederer: RTD Four days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mastermunster wrote:
After Action Report #C3M81
August 12th 1943

Bomb Drop: ON
Bombing Accuracy: 30%
Bomb Load: 16 x 250 lb. Incendiaries
Bombing Altitude: 27,300 ft.

Way to go. Must be the Flyers logo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I hadn't even realized that I was the first crew to hit the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
now retired so time for more gaming!
badge
Alumini of Dogwarts University - Double First : Engineering for Dogs
mbmbmbmbmb

Pilot: 2Lt Jeffrey Grainger
B17: Havana Dancer

Sqdn: 154th
Mission: 81 (this bomber 2)
Target: Gelsenkirchen - Synthetic Oil Refinery
Position: Low - Low

Crew Status:

Pilot: 2Lt Jeffrey Grainger (2)
Copilot: 2Lt Neville Hope (4)
Bombardier: 2Lt Harry Blackburn (2)
Navigator: 2Lt Barry Taylor (4) * LW
Engineer: Mst Sgt Wyman Norris (4) ***
Radio Operator: Wayne Norris (4)
Ball Gunner: Sgt Albert Moxey (4) *
Port Waist: Sgt Arthur Pringle (3) * LW
Starboard Waist: Colin Latham (4) * SW IH
Tail Gunner: Sgt Ally Fraser (4)

(Mission Number)
* = fighters claimed
LW = Light Wound
SW = Serious Wound
IH = Invalided Home

Bomb Drop: 0% Off Target

Fighters Claimed:
Mst Sgt Wyman Norris - FW 190
Sgt Colin Latham - FW 190

Kills x 2 Damaged x 1

B17 Status:

Engaged with 16 German fighters
FW 190's x 12 (3 driven off by fighter cover)
ME 109's x 2
ME 110's x 2

8 hits from fighters, 12 from flak

Peckham Points = 243

Replacements:
Hallwood, Malcolm Sgt Starboard Waist Gunner

Mission Description
A much less eventful mission than my first combat flight, although this is not to say that it was a milk run, far from it.

No sooner has we welcomed our new bombardier Kenny Ames to the crew then we were ordered to get ready to fly to Gelsenkirchen. Another trip to Germany but we were promised improved fighter cover now that our 'little friends' had drop tanks.

The flight out over the North Sea and into the Low Countries was very quiet. It was not until we were nearing the German border that we had our first visit from the Luftwaffe. A flight of FW 190's came a calling, who were met with a hearty welcome. Two enemy fighters are confirmed shot down by Mst.Sgt Norris & Sgt. Latham. However the remaining fighter peppered us with shellfire wounding Sgt. Pringle, one of the waist gunners. Fortunately it wasn't serious and he stayed at his position and helped to drive off the FW. Before he went the enemy pilot managed to hit No.3 engine on the starboard wing causing oil to spray everywhere. I decided that I would have to shut the engine down pretty soon, but it would last until we reached the drop zone.

As we got ready for our bomb run we were attacked again by more FW 190's. These pilots were very good and none of the gunners managed to put a scratch on them. They, on the other hand managed to hit us with depressing ease. The plane took some heavy damage to the wings and tailplane but kept on flying despite this pounding.

Flak over the target was intense and burst claser and closer to the plane. One of these bursts rocked the plane and I soon had reports of further wounds to the crew. Lt. Taylor had blood pouring from his head but Lt. Ames was able to confirm that despite the claret the gashes to his head were superficial. Less lucky was Sgt. Latham who was also hit but whose wounds were far more serious. Sgt.Pringle managed to patch him up as best as he could and made him as comfortable as possible. However that left us one waist gunner down for the rest of the flight.

The weather over the target was very bad and I struggled to catch sight of how accurate our bomb drop had been. Lt. Ames did report that he was fairly certain that we had missed the target. We appeared to be a magnet for the flak as we were hit once again by further bursts, that were much to close for comfort. Despite further damage to both wings we flew out of the range of the flak guns protecting the target without sustaining any more damage. A lone ME 109 engaged us and made a mess of the radio room but managed to miss Sgt. Norris, much to his great relief.

We sighted a couple of FW 190's over Belgium but these were sent packing with their tails between their legs by our 'little friends'. Shortly after this we were attacked by a lone ME 109 whose fire was ineffective; he flew off almost as soon as he had arrived.

Our last contact with the enemy was over the Channel where three FW 190's came at us, One was driven off by our fighter cover, while the other two fired at us causing yet more damage to the port wing. Lt. Ames managed to damage one of them and they broke off the attack.

We landed without incident at base where Lt. Taylor and Sgt's Pringle & Latham was handed over for treatment by the medical staff. I have since heard that Sgt. Latham will not be returning to active duty. His injuries were of such a nature nit to allow him to fly with us again. All in all I guess that we got off lightly considering the amount of damage sustained by the plane. The ground crew have mended the 'Havana Dancer' this time but from the looks I got when I went to check on the repair work, I could tell that it had been a close run thing.

Respectfully Submitted
2nd Lt. Grainger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
at the base in the operation room, LTC Pfalzstaff is being informed by the radio operator. Sir we 've just received this distress call by the Greek crew.
"mayday mayday mayday, we 're over the target...our stbd wing is on fire, our pilot is dead, we 're diving...God help us..."
I see, keep me informed Sgt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kastrologos wrote:
at the base in the operation room, LTC Pfalzstaff is being informed by the radio operator. Sir we 've just received this distress call by the Greek crew.
"mayday mayday mayday, we 're over the target...our stbd wing is on fire, our pilot is dead, we 're diving...God help us..."
I see, keep me informed Sgt.

Sounds like Charilaos was "dead on" with his rolling of the bones? Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR) #81 As Filled By Various Witnesses

Pilot: 2nd Lt. George Kipouros
B17F: Pagrati Ole
Sqdn.: 151st
Target:SO/I, Gelsenkirchen, Germany.
Position: High

Crew Status
No chutes seen upon B-17's dive. Crashed 20 miles from the target.
All pressumed KIA

Bomb Drop : 0%

Fighters Encountered: 12
Claims: damaged: 1xFW190, propable: 2xMe109, kills: 2

B-17's Disposition: Destroyed due to stbd wing outboard fuel tank fire

Mission Description: By members of the 151st Squadron
The B-17 "Pagrati Ole" immediately after the bombs drop, was seen getting attacked by a swarm of 2 FW190 at the bomb zone. Before that, the plane wasbadly hit by flak fire, the radio operator reported that many crew members were injured and some dead. The engine No4 was out of order too. Reports are that a FW190 from 10:30 o clock Low fired a burst that hit the fuel tank of the starboard wing. The co-pilot of the B 17 tried a dive, getting out of formation in order to extinguish the fire but instead the wing explode. No chutes were seen. End Report.

Game notes:
bad luck during the mission (rolled 2 random events but both were tight formation yuk ). My fault was that i didnt aborted the mission from zone 3 due to bombardier's death, but i wanted to give my son some more pleasure, well at least his smile is all over his face (again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aerogoose wrote:

Sounds like Charilaos was "dead on" with his rolling of the bones? Good luck!

Thanks Jim, you are absolutely right, i just cant escape from his well trained rolls!
Charilaos: hmmm hit on the nose, what do i need? 4 ok, 4,4,4 (he rolls the dices..4!!!
Have fun as always
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kastrologos wrote:
...but i wanted to give my son some more pleasure, well at least his smile is all over his face (again).

Sounds like it is time to ground the boy again!

That is till next mission! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report
A/C name: “Here We Go Again”
Pilot: Captain Broderick Young
Unit: 153rd Bombardment Squadron, 218th Bombardment Group

Mission #: 81
Primary Target: Gelsenkirchen, Germany. SO/I (Geisenberg Benzine & Hydrogenation Synthetic Oil Refinery) Secondary Target:None

Primary Target Weather: Bad 9/10 Cloud & Smoke Cover (-2 modifier to the O-6 Table)
Secondary Target Weather: N/A
Base Weather: Good 2/10 Cloud Cover (No modifiers)

Position P/S: Middle/ Low Squadron

Bomb Drop: On Target
Bombing Accuracy: 99%
Bomb Load: 16 x 250 lb British Incendiary Bombs

Crew/Status/Actions:
Pilot: Captain Broderick Young (33)
Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt Robert Humprhies (5)
Bombardier: 2nd Lt. Steven Bishop (7)
Aircraft Claimed - 1
Navigator: 2nd Lt Johnson Holland (2)
Aircraft Claimed - 1
Flt Engineer: T Sgt Curt Trotter (8)
Aircraft claimed - 11
R/O: Sgt. Kerry Barrett (8)
Ball Gnr: Sgt. Hogan Sharpe (8)
Aircraft claimed - 3
Port Wst: Sgt. Samuel Jones (3)
Aircraft claimed -
Strb Wst: Sgt. Ricardo Gonzalez (7)
Aircraft claimed - 1
Tail Gnr: Sgt. Barry Hester (3)
Aircraft claimed – 2
() – Number of missions completed inclusive
Recommendations:

Enemy Aircraft Claimed:
Flt Engineer: T Sgt Curt Trotter (8) – 1 FW 190 Destroyed

B-17 Status:
Navigator heat out, radio room oxygen out

Mission Description:
We actually made it to the target this time. That was actually the first point at which we were attacked. A lone 190 attacked but missed us. We came through the flak unscathed and Lt. Bishop did a magnificent job dropping on the target.

As we turned for home four 190s attacked us. Most missed but one knocked out the radio operator oxygen. It made a second pass and knocked out the navigator heat. On its third pass Sgt. Trotter got a piece of the port wing and the plane went spiraling downward.

We dropped from formation and continued home. We were fortunate that we were not attacked again. I guess the Luftwaffe was out chasing someone else. Lucky for us though.

Respectively submitted,
Captain Broderick Young

Replacements:

Notes:
I almost fell out of my chair when I rolled the dice for the bomb drop. In all the games I have played I don’t think I have ever done that well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.