Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A thought: in Dominion, there comes a point in the game when you stop buying to further the development of your "engine" and you start buying to maximize your victory points.

What if a player could buy a card that exiles a wound at the end of your game. Maybe it would cost 6 or 8 Influence?

Like in Dominion, the card would confer no additional advantage beyond helping your final score - if you draw it during the game, it's simply a dead card in your hand. Thus, you want to buy it when you think the game is almost over and you won't reshuffle your discard pile to form a new draw pile.

I know s3rvant has previously mentioned that making it too easy to exile wounds leads to an increased number of tied games, so that could be one downside. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
The idea of making Nightfall more like Dominion upsets me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a card seems like it would be a detriment to your deck. Since it doesn't contribute to combat, it ends up being dead in your hand. 1 Less wound at the end of the game (or even two or three) is less effective than a chainable minion with one power and one hitpoint. That minion can absorb one attack or deal one damage each turn, making it worth one of your 'victory point' cards each time it gets played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. The concept of a card that does ____ at games end just by being in your deck.

I think it would be hard to balance. As mentioned, it would make the game similar to Dominion.

You could potentually make a minion with that as a side ability, so it has some in game use. But I would see people buying it up instantly if it was priced too low. So it would have to be an expensive card.

And depending on its in game use, it could hinder more than help you. You may spend a lot of influence to claim this card, only to weaken your in play game, and thus taking more wounds than it exiles anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
The idea of making Nightfall more like Dominion upsets me...

Haha, fair enough.

charek wrote:
Such a card seems like it would be a detriment to your deck. ... That minion can absorb one attack or deal one damage each turn, making it worth one of your 'victory point' cards each time it gets played.

Right, but the idea is that you have to decide:

a) When is the game going to end? You buy the card close to when the game is going to end, so you DON'T suffer the detrimental effects. Buying victory point cards too early is detrimental in Dominion, but buying a Duchy or even an Estate in the late game is sometimes smart. Buying a Duchy in the early game may end up costing you more points than you gain.

b) Whether playing or chaining a card is worth it, if it's the difference between buying an "Anti-Wound" and not.

Possible benefits include:

a) Allowing economic engine cards (like Mesmeric Presence) to be more useful.

b) Allowing players wounded heavily in the early game to recover.

c) Increased strategic decision making.

Possible downsides include:

a) Increased number of tie-games.

b) Unnecessary / low-value complexity

c) Being more like Dominion.

Personally, my biggest concern currently is that it adds complexity without adding much to the game's fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.