Subject: How powerful is the University card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people say the university city expansion is the most powerful card on the game. How powerful is it? What are the typical Victory Point scores when it wins? How often does it win?

I would like to balance it with the game instead of not playing with it as some proletarian suggest. Also, I would like to not play with random city expansion variant.

I was thinking more along the lines of increasing its cost. Maybe 2 more ore like town hall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play with my wife, we have to ban the card as I always get it first and then clean up. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that. I don't want to ban the card, just balance it. What is your score when you " clean up" :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following has happened many times in games I have played.

From the beginning of the game I would just hold and trade resources until I converted my first Settlement to a City. Even if it means lots of 3 for 1 trades. I would never buy a another item unless my hand was really full and I could spare buying maybe a road.

I would then do the same again until the city became a University.At this point I am at 3 VP, maybe 4 VP if I picked up road. The other players would normally be more with roads and knights and settlements.

Then I would play with the same targeted approach until I had three Knights which normally only takes three turns when you have University. At this point I would have another 1 VP, with a total of 4 or 5 VP.

Then it is quick work to do settlement-city. Then the final city expansion, the one with the extra VP and cost two Ore extra. If it is not game over, it is just a mater of 1 or two turns to steal a road or two.

With the stealing of knights and Roads, the other players have been left with 6 to 7 VP.

There are always situations where luck would have it that everything just takes a bit longer to pull off then it could come down to the wire with other players just 1 point away from winning.

So when I play with my wife we ban the University to keep it a friendly game, we also play with the four player setup to slow down the need to do as much stealing from each other.

In a four player game everyone just gangs up on whoever gets the University.

Overall I just think the card should cost more to buy, maybe two extra Ore. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't have the cards memorized, what does it do again? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
For those who don't have the cards memorized, what does it do again?

"when building, you may replace 1 of the required resource cards with a different type of resource card (1x per turn)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.