Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Missions and their Activation or Relevance (SPOILERS) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our sixth game after opening the "signed twice" packet and we need a clarification regarding the mission cards. I've got some information from the previous threads, but I hope to get a better understanding of how they work.

If the first mission card turned over at the start of the game says something like, "Conquer four city territories," I understand from another thread that "conquer" means to forcibly take a territory from another player--so at the start of the game a player can't expand into four city territories off the hop to gain a star.

So does the mission card sit their until it becomes relevant? Should one of us be the alarm: Whoop Whoop! All minor cities are now occupied--it is a great time to conquer four and get a star!

Just looking for clarification as to how a mission card gets turned over and, for the time being, it is unattainable by all players at the start of the game--so it sits there until it becomes attainable and you just need to keep it in the back of your battle-brain, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how I understand it. The mission stays out until someone completes it. And when that happens, then a new mission takes it place. Remember that if a player completes a mission, that takes the place of taking a resource card.

There are ways that a player could discard the current mission and replace it with a new one. I won't say how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuildeous wrote:
That is how I understand it. The mission stays out until someone completes it. And when that happens, then a new mission takes it place. Remember that if a player completes a mission, that takes the place of taking a resource card.

There are ways that a player could discard the current mission and replace it with a new one. I won't say how.

Thanks for the reply. So at the end of a player's turn where a mission was completed, no resource card is drawn.

I'm putting the following as a spoiler as it deals with a specific, important mission:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
so the place-the-world-capital mission may not be so easy to achieve because another mission might sit there on top of the pile for most of the game. I wonder what the gaming experience is with this? You might possibly play several games without that mission ever surfacing--then if it does surface, depending on the rarity (and accessibility) of 4+ resources territories, it might be further difficult to achieve. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
[q="Kuildeous"]
so the place-the-world-capital mission may not be so easy to achieve because another mission might sit there on top of the pile for most of the game. I wonder what the gaming experience is with this? You might possibly play several games without that mission ever surfacing--then if it does surface, depending on the rarity (and accessibility) of 4+ resources territories, it might be further difficult to achieve. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Regarding Specific Mission
Yes you're right it can not turn up for ages and when it does it might not even be applicable. We drew a new one in a game it turned up as there was no 4+ cards so we house ruled we could draw a new one but on the next game, when two cards were upgraded from the previous game it was drawn again and we went with it. The mission was completed and further fun ensued. It can take a lot more time than this, it can simply be a case of right time, right place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:

There is a way around this. I think that this is part of the same packet where this mission first comes about, but I'll put it in a spoiler space, just in case. Someone else can confirm if these two items came from the same packet.

There is an Event card that allows a player to choose a new mission. Not just draw a new mission but actually choose it.

We haven't gotten that far in our game, but I can see someone choosing the World Capital mission at the right time. He may control one of the two resources we have with four coins. If that Event card comes up at that moment, the player (if he qualifies) could choose that mission and then work to conquer a land and complete that mission on his next turn.

Granted, that is also going to be difficult to pull off, but it at least improves your odds more than just hoping the right card comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.