Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Hive» Forums » General

Subject: What is the "official" tournament Hive - standard or with expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what is considered the "official" way of playing Hive. We all know that sometimes designers are requested to create expansions for their games, even though they might state that they still prefer the game as it was originally conceived. What are the pieces used for tournaments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about meatspace tournaments, but at Boardspace.net's online tournament (http://boardspace.net/cgi-bin/tournament-signup.cgi?tourname...=):

"Ladybug and Mosquito:

All games will be played with the Ladybug
The first game in each match should be played without the Mosquito. In all subsequent games, the loser of the pevious game can choose to add the mosquito or not. If the previous game was a draw, then the choice of mosquito should alternate."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismattic wrote:
I don't know about meatspace tournaments, but at Boardspace.net's online tournament (http://boardspace.net/cgi-bin/tournament-signup.cgi?tourname...=):

"Ladybug and Mosquito:

All games will be played with the Ladybug
The first game in each match should be played without the Mosquito. In all subsequent games, the loser of the pevious game can choose to add the mosquito or not. If the previous game was a draw, then the choice of mosquito should alternate."

Sorry about my ignorance, but why is that one expansion is mandatory and the other is optional? Seems quite inconsistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
"So long, play actor!"
mbmbmbmbmb
gmsa84 wrote:
Sorry about my ignorance, but why is that one expansion is mandatory and the other is optional? Seems quite inconsistent.

My guess would be that it has to do with the movement patterns of the pieces. The Ladybug consistently moves 2 spaces on top of the Hive and one space down, while the Mosquito can take on the movement of any adjacent piece. Though I've never played Hive tournament style, this makes sense to me, as the Mosquito is sort of a "wildcard."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't any official standard; I've been running the tournaments at
boardspace with the most recent expansion, just because it seemed like
it would be requested. As there are no expansions this year, the format
is still up for grabs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.