Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Patton
United States
Saratoga
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yesterday was a long day for what was supposed to be the weekend. Meeting at 9AM, 4 hours of teaching, and 8 hours of homework afterwards. Luckily, there was a light at the end of the tunnel: an unopened copy of Onirim which I knew awaited me after my travails. I poured myself a drink to get myself in the sleepy dreamlike mode of the game, shuffled up the cards, popped the rules open beside me, and began. I ended up playing 5 games, which took about an hour.

The first game was primarily focused on getting me to understand the core mechanics. I pulled 4 doors by the time the game was done, and although I didn't win, the match was a fine introduction to the game. Every card pull was fraught with tension as I prepared for the worst, every nightmare was a terrible tragedy! By the end of the first game I was having a fine time, ripping through reshuffles, and ready to play a few more times.

It took me a second game and loss to realize that I should probably use the Prophecy component, so I modified my strategy for the third game to include this and it went very well. This was the closest I came to victory, with 7 doors down and a good shot at winning. Unfortunately, I built into Red before realizing that both my red doors were out. I then pulled a nightmare after being 1 card away from victory in the color I needed, discarded my hand, pulled 5 cards....and the 5th and final card was the door I needed. DISASTER.

The final few games went in similar fashion, with key errors revolving around me building into a color I already had both doors of and cursing in frustration as I realized my error. I guess I shouldn't have had that drink after all! I ended the night with 5 fun games under my belt but no wins, and some hard lessons learned. Maybe one of my games tonight will result in a successful navigation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.