Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Posted this in the FTtN forum, but then realized that the activity might be more here and hence posting it here. Thanks in advance for your help.

Just reading the rules and one section where it says you can use 3 influence points for one train point but "only at the point at which you require the point to buy a train".

I was thinking of the following possibilities, please tell me if I'm right:

- You can only reduce 3 influence points from the other tracks if you are falling short by only 1 train point when you are planning to buy a train
- Also you could use this option of educing other influence points only after all your train points on the track is exhausted and not before

Later in the rules it states that "You cannot exchange points and cubes in this way in advance"- Not able to understand this.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Best,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key point is that train points are used for two things, to figure out the order of train buying/passenger&goods movement at the start of a round and then to actually buy trains in the later phase.

What the rules are getting at is that you can convert other influence to train points in order to buy any train you like (not just a 1-value or the cheapest one), but you cannot convert them earlier in order to go earlier on the train influence track.

You also can't use converted points so save normal train influence points for later rounds.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! Thanks for such a clear response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Lockwood
Australia
Blacktown
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm....an interesting discussion.

Two things come to mind regarding this interpretation of the rules.

Firstly, (and maybe not relevant) track can be built by using any type of influence points BUT only after all investment cubes have been spent. This is stated specifically in the rules.

Secondly, (and maybe incorrectly!) we play with the interpretation that follows the above rule. That is, a player may only expend other types of influence and investment cubes when he would like to buy a train and has not enough train influence points left on his track to fully or partially pay for that train.

The only instance I can quote in the rules that supports this argument is about halfway down the second column of page 7, "If you choose to buy a train you MUST pay a number of TRAIN influence points equal to the cost of the train".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.