Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch brood war, my team is doing horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, mine is the American NFL team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

They had a good regular season, finishing with 12 wins and 4 losses. However, they lost their opening playoff game as the defense apparently missed the team bus from the hotel in Denver and was replaced at the last minute by eleven drunken yinzers* who had made the trip to Denver from McKees Rocks**. What had been the number one defense in the NFL during the regular season was shredded by a Denver quarterback who can't tell one end of a football from another, and the Stillers*** lost, 29 to 23, in overtime.

* Pittsburgh slang for a local resident of Pittsburgh.
** a borough near Pittsburgh.
*** Yinzer slang for the Steelers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Australian NRL Rugby League.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Finished 9th last year and hoping they do better this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
NBA - San Antonio Spurs. Last season, they had an amazing regular season, claiming the #1 seed for the Western playoffs, which was a surprise given the advanced age of their star players. They then lost in the first round of the playoffs to the #8 seed, a young, fast, and scrappy team that offset SA's strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MLB - Texas Rangers - Successfully defended the American League Championship they won the year before for the first time by this franchise. While up 3 games to 2 in the world series in game 6 they got within 1 strike of winning twice and blew it both times. They then went on to lose game 7 of the World Series.

Great year, and with a couple exceptions was a great playoff run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
MyTwoCents wrote:
..who's your team and how well did they do in their last full season?

Grew up with - Cambridge United, English soccer. Last season they finished in the top half of the table in their lowly division but didn't exactly set the world on fire

Yeah I like that team to, keeping up here is rather hard but I try todo. CU is my favourite english team

----

As for local times, Hammarby (Bajen) went badly in fotball, hockey team is doing okey , Bandy did well, Handball is going to hell, mostly due to failing economy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb

Currently #2 in the Spanish Liga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyTwoCents wrote:
The Warriors are a dynasty in the making. Have you seen our Toyota Cup team? 2 consecutive championships and some huge huge wins. We can't keep em all, but we have the pick of the best youth talent on the planet.

2011 was a good year for New Zealand in rugby league having a team in all 3 games on grand final day, winning the Toyota cup was iceing on the cake.
The highlight for me being the Bulldogs beating the Auckland Vulcans in the first game that day in the NSW cup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Last year? Champion again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyTwoCents wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

They had a good regular season, finishing with 12 wins and 4 losses. However, they lost their opening playoff game as the defense apparently missed the team bus from the hotel in Denver and was replaced at the last minute by eleven drunken yinzer* fans who had made the trip to Denver from McKees Rocks**. What had been the number one defense in the NFL during the regular season was shredded by a Denver quarterback who can't tell one end of a football from another, and the Stillers*** lost, 29 to 23, in overtime.

I've long wondered. Whats with the lame helmet logo? What's it signify?

That is the logo for steel--I believe U.S. Steel designed it as a "symbol" for the steel industry, and the Steelers adopted it. This happened, of course, well over half a century ago, and SO HELP YOU anything changes in sports tradition. I know the colors each stand for something but I don't know what.

If you are wondering, those are three astroids (I knew that) which are hypocycloids of four cusps each (I had to look that up). It is on only one side of the helmet for who knows what reason. (OK, I looked it up: basically a few decades ago Art Rooney wanted to test the helmet logos to see how they looked, so they only got put on one side. They would be put on both if it worked. Fans loved the logo so much and SO HELP YOU if you change anything in sports tradition, even if it was a stupid mistake, so one side it is.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My team of choice (I will skip the Steelers, already done) is the Penguins. Their star player, Sidney Crosby, is out for, um, a while*, and they have suffered injuries with most of their other top players (Jordan Staal, Kris Letang, etc.) Marc Andre Fluery and Evgeni Malkin are about the only healthy ones so far. In any case, they actually were doing quite well for the first quarter of their season, bumping up and down from 1-3 place in the East. BUT they just suffered a 6-game losing slide, along with a spotty win-loss records for weeks before that. Right now, thanks to a pair of wins on the road (and a natural hat trick by Malkin,) they are barely--barely--clinging to 8th place, the cutoff for playoffs (which are still a while away).

The Penguins have done a pretty good job of spreading the talent around and finding new talent, so the loss of Crosby and the injuries last year weren't nearly as bad as people were expecting, and, likewise, the first part of this season was pretty good. It looks like the toll has finally caught up with them, however.

*"A while" being defined as "until next game" to "forever," depending on that guy you know who knows someone who lives next to the guy who works for the Pens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm a three-sport guy...

MLB - Boston Red Sox. Complete flop last year. Full of potential, full of talent, and they fell flat at the end of the year. The fun didn't stop there when they parted ways with their general manager and manager...and then ran the manager out of town with a smear campaign. It's a dark time to be a Sox fan.

NHL - Boston Bruins. Last year? Not much to complain about there. They won the Stanley Cup for the first time in 39 years and played some gritty hockey to do it. This year started off horribly, but they've caught fire and are once again one of the best teams in the league.

NFL - San Francisco 49ers. Last year? Let's not talk about last year. Horrible finish, no leadership, no support. The whole thing was a mess. This year? Well, a new coach and a new attitude and now they are one win away from the Super Bowl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Minnesota Vikings.
They did quite poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb

Currently in transition from being one of the NHL's bottom feeders into a low-seed playoff team (hopefully). Just passed the halfway point of the season, and they are ninth in the conference (top eight go through), one point out of seventh. They have a good core of young stars that they can build around.

Big-picture-wise... haven't won the big dance in 45 years, and haven't made the post-season in the past six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MyTwoCents wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

They had a good regular season, finishing with 12 wins and 4 losses. However, they lost their opening playoff game as the defense apparently missed the team bus from the hotel in Denver and was replaced at the last minute by eleven drunken yinzer* fans who had made the trip to Denver from McKees Rocks**. What had been the number one defense in the NFL during the regular season was shredded by a Denver quarterback who can't tell one end of a football from another, and the Stillers*** lost, 29 to 23, in overtime.

I've long wondered. Whats with the lame helmet logo? What's it signify?

Lame? I'm not sure I agree with that description of it. Nonetheless, here is a link that answers the question much more completely than I could:
http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/steelers/a/logo.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Bay Packers

cry after yesterday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb

Nebraska Cornhuskers - College Football

They finished the year going 9-4. The first four games were ridden with sloppy and poor play. The defense, highly touted before the season began, was playing at a very low level, giving up tons of yards. The conference opener with Wisconsin was an ugly blowout, but I expected there to be an adjustment period for learning to play in a new conference. They had no business losing to Northwestern like they did. Wins over MSU, OSU, and PSU were nice even though two of the teams were rebounding so to speak. The bowl game lose to South Carolina was an end to a disappointing season. Going into the season I expect 4 loses due to the crazy schedule, but I didn't expect the loses to be meltdowns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
all detroit pro sports

Lions - not bad considering the years of futility. pretty excited to have Matt Stafford

Tigers - been a LONG world series dry spell (winning that is) but it wasa good year and Verlander is awesome

Pistons - just awful

Red Wings - always solid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NHL - Buffalo Sabres!

Yeah I don't talk about how they've been doing lately... Lots of disappointment. At least this year they're consistently doing bad! Consistency is hard to come by with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Right now the team I follow the most closely is

Particularly, Button, who finished 2nd overall last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NHL: Chicago Blackhawks, made the playoffs last season but got knocked out by Vancouver (now that they finally won against us we can call it a real rivalry). Currently in first place in the Western Conference this season

NFL: Chicago Bears, this past season was going great until our quarterback and best offensive player got hurt. Only needed to win three of the last six games to make the playoffs. They won one.

MLB: Chicago White Sox, not good

NBA: Chicago Bulls, lost to the Heat in the conference finals. Currently 12-2 in this abbreviated season.

Rugby Union: Toulouse, lost to Leinster in the Heineken Cup semi-finals. Won the Top 14
Toulon, did alright. Doing better this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Silva
Portugal
Corroios
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Currently first in the Portuguese Liga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Football.

Tottenham. Came fifth in the Premier League in England which ain't bad. Looking at 3rd place this season which will get them back into the Champions League European Cup competition for next season.

Pundits and reporters are generally agreed that Tottenham play the most beautiful and exciting football around which is nice. I'm used to them being average or messing up.

My other sport is Cycling and my team is Garmin. Great season last season, good success in the Tour de France (a few stage wins) and a stage win in the Giro d'Italia. The also held the leaders jersey in both.
Also Van Summeren won Paris-Roubaix on a solo breakaway despite riding the last 4km on a flat tyre. Brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Football:
Domestic: IFK Göteborg

One of three teams from Göteborg that are currently in the top division, but the only team anyone with half a brain can support. The former days of glory are long over and they finished in a disgraceful 7th place (of 16 teams) last season. (In Sweden the football season is March-November)

Premier League: I've inherited Spurs from my dad (he's from London). See Luke's post above for details.

Ice Hockey:
Domestic: Frölunda HC (a.k.a. Frölunda Indians)

They just missed the playoffs last season (which kind of sucks since 8 of 12 teams in the top division get to participate in the playoffs, but the way they were playing I'm happy they weren't relegated. This season is looking better, but the league is really even and they might still miss the playoffs.

NHL: Any team with Frölunda-players, but mainly Ottawa Senators (Daniel Alfredsson) and NY Rangers (Henrik Lundqvist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.