Subject: Opinions on art! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here is a sample player sheet from my game. This particular class is my favorite hence i painted him first. Just hoping to get some opinions! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
herogamer wrote:
Here is a sample player sheet from my game. This particular class is my favorite hence i painted him first. Just hoping to get some opinions! Thanks!

The art is understated, and nice. I like it. Might want to change the word "bread" to "bred." That's the word you're really looking for.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is very nicely done ... good choice of colors, clean graphic design, appropriate font size that doesn't overwhelm the art. One question I had refers to the lower-right corner box labeled "Defense Ability". +1 attack for the conditions stated didn't seem like a defense ability ... more like an attack ability, but I don't know your game so it is not really a criticism more an observation with a question. Keep up the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the compliments and corrections! That actually should say "Attack Bonus"... The previous ability was a defensive one but forgot to change that! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a big thing but the tan box you use to highlight your text at the bottom of the character image seems out of place and boring, I would either have it a bit larger with a decorative edge to it or just have it cover the entire bottom part that its currently sitting in.

Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I also like it, but agree with the previous poster about the text box. Overall, it's clean, simple and well laid out. The character himself is well-drawn. One small correction--in the text describing the character, you twice write "bladesman" when a plural noun is called for. I think this should be "bladesmen."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. It's legible. I like the stone effect.

Nitpicks:
- If you're going to put periods after some sentences, put them after all sentences.
- Watch your bladesmen plural problem, as others mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmb
Yes, very nice. Do as others have suggested and change that text box under the character art. IMO you should get rid of the box background and use a different font than the rest of the text on the card. That way this flavor text will stand out as being separate from the actual game text.

Also, keep in mind the larger the font the better. Personally, I hate having to squint to read tiny little text on game components.

All in all, looks great !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the style of the character. He looks like something from He-Man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb

Updated Character! Better? Worse? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
herogamer wrote:

Liked the original better, especially the blades. This one is not as interesting. Keep the original pose, and the blade designs. Otherwise,he looks too ordinary.

Don't fiddle man! Keep moving on!

Joseph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:

Updated Character! Better? Worse? :laugh:

I think this pose is a more defensive one with blades crossed in front of the hero. The previous image has the blades outstretched, the bladesman challenging his foe to engage, an offensive stance, more suggestive of action, more appropriate for a blademan hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
herogamer wrote:

The fact that you've considered dropping the whole "swords the same width as baseball bats" motif makes me weep with joy. Anime influence is a scourge upon western-style fantasy that needs to be cleansed.

But otherwise I agree with Joseph - the pose in the original pic was more dynamic and interesting to look at.

And as others have said - this is very nice overall. About the only other constructive comment I could offer is to consider lightening up your parchment background so the text can be read a little better. It looks well-defined enough on your computer screen, but when it's run through an actual printer, you may lose some of that contrast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Waibel
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

The fact that you've considered dropping the whole "swords the same width as baseball bats" motif makes me weep with joy. Anime influence is a scourge upon western-style fantasy that needs to be cleansed.

+1000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D 4te
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
falloutfan wrote:
herogamer wrote:

Liked the original better, especially the blades. This one is not as interesting. Keep the original pose, and the blade designs. Otherwise,he looks too ordinary.

Don't fiddle man! Keep moving on!

Joseph.
Original pose with arms outstretched looks better. Im an avid believer that your character fuels the players interest in the game. Id even try to make him bigger on the slate if you could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I tried something but got tired...snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
er... biceps a bit too big, and starts too early, in both poses. (seems is better in the previous one) but still happens there, too. I'm meaning his left arm.
Edit: Also in that last one, his right leg is too short, probably, even counting on the perspective effect (a bit against torso's perspective)

All these are nit picking, the drawing is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember this is just my opinion!!

Get rid of the overy lay or at least reduce it to the point that you can read the text boxes that its currently covering.

Also the font you are using for Headers is fine except for (in my opinion) the letter I.... If you can Isolate the "I" and scale it up a touch, try not to do a general size scale (scaling in both horizontal and vertical) but rather just scale it vertically.

The health bar doesn't conform to your current design so if you could incorporate it more it might turn out pretty cool.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.