Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here it goes... My first intent on writing a review...
(please be benevolent with it)

"TROYES OR DICE THAT AREN'T DICE"

-Some buddy: 24 dice??? has a tons of luck???
-BGG buddy: not an all!!! it is: Troyes!!!

A game that uses 24 dice but where luck factor isn't determinant at all, must be called "Dice that aren't dice". That fact alone, is enough for me to take my hat out off my head and say two things:
-Firstly (to the creators): "Congratulations. What an original piece of board-gaming-art!"
-Secondly (to people thinking "there is nothing new under the sun"): "Look what kind of use you could assign to dice... Let's learn something of Troyes"

That said... Troyes from my very personal point of view:

I'm in love with this game! In my humble opinion: The better dice game ever! All it's mechanics has been so well designed and implemented, and all its parts works nicely and combines each other in such perfect ways, providing for lovers of euro-style boargamers, like me, an outstanding gaming experience each time it goes to the table! In fact, you could thik of Troyes like a brain-burner-puzzle with a swiss clock as its heart.

One of the things I like the most about Troyes is that it has so many ways to get VP (i.e. victory points), that's: combating events, doing actions, occupying the activity cards, building the cathedral, from the character cards, and even from the events that haven't been offset till the end of the game. Moreover, the most exciting thing is that you always have to fight against your oponents in order to get that precious VP... Yeah, we're not in front of a cold-as-ice-euro-style-game here, but the opposite: In Troyes there's a lot of interaction-confrontation between players and, speaking by myself, this is one of the strongest points of the game and I really love it!.

Another strong aspect: In Troyes you can earn not just the already classical VP, but IP (i.e. influence points) also, and the ways you can spend them during the game has been so well thought, that even now, after have been played arround 25 games, still surprises me, and it's because it can be possible to changing an apparently bad situation in just seconds, of course, just if you planify well, not just what to do, but when to use that valuable IP.

In addition of what is said, I'd like to attach that its components are nice and of good quality. Personally, I love that kind of medieval artwork-style that fits in such a perfect way with the theme of the game.

The dark side... (do it have any?)

In despite of all the flowers I'm throwing over Troyes I must admit something I dislike of it (nothing of the game itself but about the variety of some of its components, in concrete terms: its cards). I would really have liked to get, of each kind of activity cards (white, yellow and red ones), at least 5 for each period, instead of the just 3 that actually comes with the game (of course, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that thinks this way). They also could add more event cards in order to grant more variety to the game. The character cards, in the other hand, I know that it would have been very difficult to add more because of the the limitations inherent to the game, so, that's something on what we can't blame to the creators.

Apart of the mentioned, I don't find another important issues on this spectacular must-have-game.

In resume: a marvelous game that all lovers of "german-style" board games must have in their collections.

¡WANT TO PLAY MORE AND MORE AND MORE!

PS: Cheers from South America

CARLgooS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I too love this game.

Hope you can find some of these, but I've owned them for several months now and still haven't felt the need to use them. I'm still feeling like the game is fresh with only three of each activity card:

Troyes Bonus Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. Troyes is a 10 for me. I love it. There is talk of an expansion, so if you feel there is not enough variety, there will hopefully be some more in the future. I thought that I would mind the few cards, but it has never bothered me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Carlos. I received this for Christmas, but have yet to break it out...I am looking forward to that day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick - just a word of advice. It plays best with 2 or 3. Four isn't the most fun, especially if you're learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Nick - just a word of advice. It plays best with 2 or 3. Four isn't the most fun, especially if you're learning.

Interesting. I found my one 3-player session miles better than my 2-player sessions. What is wrong with the 4-player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3p game is probably the best - everyone gets first crack at one set of cards. The 4p game just seems to bog down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be playing it in 2, so should be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Yeah, specially when you're learning, 4 is not the best number of players; but even when you have already learned the game. My favourite number is with 3 folks, no doubt.

I'm working in adapting Troyes to be played between 5 players. I'm not still sure that it's gonna work out well, but if you want to give it a try you can click here, where I'll be posting my 5 players game sessions with my own discoveries and the observations an ideas of the rest of the geeks.

THANKS everybody for reading my review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the 4p game. I've never played with any other number (every time it comes up there are always at least 4 people around who want to play) and I'd rate it a solid 9+.

This is not to diss the 2p or 3p game, but seriously, anybody who is remotely worried about how well it plays with 4, don't be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I wasn't worried. I have played with 4 and for whatever reason, I just prefer it with 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the issue of three players getting new cards and fourth player not getting new cards is moot. The fourth player is not at a disadvantage because he gets to go first after all of the activity cards have been revealed. Thus, giving him an extra turn to plan for a very powerful combo.

I've played the game several times at all play counts. It plays great no matter how many are playing. If I was forced to rank each player count, it would say 3 and 4 are equal, and they're both slightly better than 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
I've played the game several times at all play counts. It plays great no matter how many are playing. If I was forced to rank each player count, it would say 3 and 4 are equal, and they're both slightly better than 2.

My feelings exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.