Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bait and switch

Actually, I'm wondering what we will nerdrage about when isotropic gets replaced. I'm guessing lack of custom Kingdom preferences, a terrible or non-existent ranking system, and not giving rrenaud access to all the game logs. Or *horrors* not having a game log at all.

And what will we love? Maybe a larger user base? Probably some people will think the UI looks better?

You can tell I'm actually wildly optimistic about the new product because otherwise I would predict bugginess. Hopefully my mostly unfounded optimism is borne out... we heard the Dominion playtesters used isotropic, though, and I don't remember hearing anything about playtesting with the new product, which should be worrying.

Guess we just have to wait and see! Oh wait no we can doomsay, right here in this thread, woot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First world problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about keep everything the same as we have now, use official art (since why not?) and add a freakin "undo" button?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
bait and switch

Actually, I'm wondering what we will nerdrage about when isotropic gets replaced. I'm guessing lack of custom Kingdom preferences, a terrible or non-existent ranking system, and not giving rrenaud access to all the game logs. Or *horrors* not having a game log at all.

And what will we love? Maybe a larger user base? Probably some people will think the UI looks better?

You can tell I'm actually wildly optimistic about the new product because otherwise I would predict bugginess. Hopefully my mostly unfounded optimism is borne out... we heard the Dominion playtesters used isotropic, though, and I don't remember hearing anything about playtesting with the new product, which should be worrying.

Guess we just have to wait and see! Oh wait no we can doomsay, right here in this thread, woot.

Considering how much the actual Dominion games are playtested I'd be very surprised if they didn't playtest the digital version thoroughly. I wouldn't make any assumptions, but I'd guess that all the Isotropic features we know and love we still be there. When you consider what Isotropic has done with a low budget to make it, the thought of what we might get with a high budget excites me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Illie
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the digital version is Isotropic with proper art and graphical polish, plus © and ® and ™ and other such new features.

This approach always seemed to be the path of least resistance to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
illest503 wrote:
Maybe the digital version is Isotropic with proper art and graphical polish, plus © and ® and ™ and other such new features.

That's maybe my favorite possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
illest503 wrote:

I'm not against that, but they will *REALLY* need to add some sort of "competitive matching" system, as well as a "buddy" system.

For many of us, the ultra-competitive, ranking-geared nature of Isotropic shoehorns a game we love into a a game we love less. I would hope for an interface similar to Ticket to Ride online's. It is cross-platform. It has rankings (although not nearly as ubiquitous and in-your-face as Isotropic), and it has a really comfortable, clean Interface (on ALL platforms).

Here's hoping !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Actually, I'm wondering what we will nerdrage about when isotropic gets replaced.

Where has it been posted that there's an isotropic replacement coming?

Are folks confusing that with the iphone app currently in beta testing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Actually, I'm wondering what we will nerdrage about when isotropic gets replaced.

It has been confirmed that isotropic will shut down once that app is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaka Zulu
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't we deal with it when it comes out?
It can be a killer application which kills iso plattform in every way or it can be a total bust. Who knows now?

Besides that, it's speculation about fears and hopes and just pointless rages and emotions about what might be.

Save your rages or praises for the time when it comes out, until then enjoy iso or other plattforms who supports playing for free right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:

Where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:

Where?

I remember the specific thread where Donald confirmed that on the DominionStrategy forums, but I don't have time to track down that thread at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a big discussion there, and this is the relevant post: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=175.msg238...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:
There was a big discussion there, and this is the relevant post: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=175.msg238...

Wow, okay, so that confirms that the software won't be an upgraded isotropic and that isotropic will disappear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:

Count me as one of the ones that are more scared than excited for the official digital release of Dominion.

I really like Isotropic as its simple yet effective approach works really well IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there other games out there that have paid, "official" implementations and free ones? For example, I thought Settlers of Catan can be played for free through BSW and a site called jsettlers. You can also pay to play through MSN games.

Why would isotropic have to disappear once the official digital version is released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
Its a bummer for sure. I can only hope that whoever is making the official computer version sees the incredible value of having vast stores of easily accessible statistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never used Isotropic but if this ends up as a nice slickly produced design I'll probably buy/rent/join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure that everyone is incentivized to have this new program be just as successful, if not moreso, than Isotropic. It is scary, abandoning a known site with an excellent track record, but this new system could potentially ignite online Dominion play. Or it could be an epic flop along the lines of Hasbro's online Scrabble. So my default policy for now is cautious optimism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoever's developing the new digital Dominion is in it for the money. I'm sure they're aware the best way to do that is to make something for which people want to pay money. I'm sure they're aware of the BGG Dominion forum, the DominionStrategy forum, and of course Isotropic itself.

All that together indicates they should have a good idea of what we fans would want in a paid digital Dominion game. DougZ made Isotropic alone, for free. Whoever's making this forthcoming digital version is in all likelihood a paid development team; they'll have the resources and the ability to make a great game we'll want to pay for.

In a past thread about this, I recall Donald X or Jay saying they didn't want to make a full announcement until the release was for sure in sight, and that seems perfectly reasonable to me. (Heck, remember when Prosperity had its release snafu? BGG collectively flipped out...I remember a lot of unhappy posters)

As for the platforms concerns some people have, I've only ever heard Donald or Jay say that they were going for many platforms, but some people have evidently hallucinated hearing it was only going to be on iOS or some such silliness.

Basically, I think everyone should just relax a bit and enjoy Isotropic while it's still around, and worry about the commercial game once we get the real and detailed announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recipe for Digital Dominion

Wash (1) Isotropic until very shiny.
Add (2) bells and (2) whistles.
Let simmer on internet.

Eat and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theory wrote:

Wow, way back in June. Hadn't heard a thing about it.

The friend was right about the movies though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely use a computer that doesn't have isotropic blocked but use my iPad all the time. I am really pumped about it. I just hope the ranking system is well done and that the graphics and interface are smooth. Since I don't like the isotropic interface and rarely have had the opportunity to use it this seems like a win for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Supply and demand. No biggie as long as this new version doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Besides, even if it isn't cheap, it'll surely be cheaper than all the expansions so far.

I really, really hope this new game has the ability for user-created content--i.e., fan cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love most about the new app is that it's vaporware. I'm betting that it'll never be released and we'll get to keep enjoying isotropic for the foreseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas W
United States
Arroyo Grande
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally I think it will be much better than isotropic, and it will have AI so I don't have to play against whiney online players or people who just play Big Money all the live long day.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.