Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During our game today, we had two situations that we could not locate in the rules. We came to a verdict to keep the game going, but I'm curious as to what the actual rule is in these circumstances.

There was a battle where the defending player only had one unit, but due to house cards, said unit was destroyed before the conflict was resolved, although the defender had a higher total anyway due to a support and his house card. Does this mean that the attacker would still lose even though the space was empty (We said yes to that)? Also, would the previous defender be able to put a power token in this space to maintain control, or is it now neutral?

If there is a sea battle and the defender is forced to retreat, may he retreat into a port in the same sea area so long as he has control of it (We said yes to this too)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Adamiak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In 1st ed answers were:
1) No. There is no battle due to the fact that defender's unit had already been destroyed before battle began.
2) Yes he can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an official response from FFG posted here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8242952#8242952
It stated that the battle still takes place if the sole unit is destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. In case you don't feel like clicking on the link, I'll copy the response someone got from the FGG representative.

"Even after the Footman is destroyed, the combat still takes place. House cards are played as normal, and other determining factors are still calculated (like Defense and Support orders)."

Even though the defender won the battle and the attacker has to retreat, I don't think the defender is able to maintain control of the area without a unit there. The rules state that you can only establish control (by placing a power token) of an area when vacating an area with a march order, so I don't think the defender would be able to establish control (i.e. place a power token) after loosing his last unit even though he won the battle. Therefore, the area would revert to neutral status.

For your reference, the rule I'm referring to is:

"A player may only establish control when vacating an area with a March Order. Events that would leave an area vacant (such as negative effects from a Wilding victory) does not permit a player to establish control after the last unit is destroyed." (pg. 24)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he already had a power token there, then it's not affected, since even if all the defending troops died the battle was not lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
true. but unlike sebastian said, he is not allowed to leave a power token if he's forced to leave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Nacho. I was referring to establishing control. But if there was already a power token in place, it would remain since the defender technically won the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony L.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
Exactly. In case you don't feel like clicking on the link, Even though the defender won the battle and the attacker has to retreat, I don't think the defender is able to maintain control of the area without a unit there. The rules state that you can only establish control (by placing a power token) of an area when vacating an area with a march order, so I don't think the defender would be able to establish control (i.e. place a power token) after loosing his last unit even though he won the battle. Therefore, the area would revert to neutral status.

That's how we ruled it, as it seemed to make the most sense, I just wanted to be sure for future games. Thanks for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.