Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Regi Bennett
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Greetings,

How are YOU tracking: Which monsters have been activated

so, played my first game tonight. 3 Hero game.

At one point I had all my units from 3 spawns on the map.. We had heated discussions about which units had been activated already. lol

so, has anyone come up with a good way to track this?

for the most part we were good, but when I was juggling like 14 mobs, it got interesting.. so? your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of the turn, I set every figure pointing towards me, and if I move any of them they look away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
Krulz wrote:
At the start of the turn, I set every figure pointing towards me, and if I move any of them they look away.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krulz wrote:

Beats putting a counter next to each activated figure ( our method).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it helped.
I always do this kind of things in every game with figures, descent, mansions of madness, etc.It always helped me and my players alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, if the Consul has all their models on the board, the heroes have pretty much lost the game

But I use the same method, turning the models one way or the other to show whether they have been activated or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I agree with the others about facing.
Simply pick whatever direction you want to represent unactivated models, and when they activate, turn them 180 degrees.
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regi Bennett
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Will have to try this next time.

I do like the look of the monsters facing the way they are going, so it LOOKS like a battlefield.

will have to try both I guess.

Direction is faster/easier
A marker would allow the field to look like abattle, but with a bunch of random marker every where .. hmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
We used regular gaming stones which worked fine, but things could get pretty cluttered. I really like the facing idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We put one of the unused status chips under monsters that had activated last game, seemed to work ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh I use the direction method personally too. It only really matters when you have most of your guys out anyway, so at that point the counters would be so much work to maintain especially in mob clusters that quickly turning them around for me has been best solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've also been using model facing, but we've just been flipping it each turn; so turn one, the models start facing me and get turned away from me. Next turn, instead of going through and rotating them all back, I just rotate them toward me when they are activated and track it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halgrim Padfoot
msg tools
mb
I will say that the monster rotation idea sounds pretty solid.

Speaking as someone who almost always plays as consul and has done so about 20 times, I will also say that after a while you track (un)activated models instinctually. You plan your entire set of moves at the start of the round and, pending hero curveballs (almost always from use of the Rogue's teleport), you can see which monsters have activated from their formation or position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit off topic, thank you ghosthack! just realized you give me some coins!
Cheers =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep it as the same direction every game when rotating those that have done their move. Generally we point it towards the bottom of the tracking board (to keep things consistent from game to game).

This way there is never any confusion but every round starts with minor maintenance (putting all the models in action poses). I´m a huge fan of the game looking like a battle, but this seems like the best compromise (you are only giving up one direction).

Without any tracking then confusion mostly happens when similar models get mixed due to reinforcements running into a pile of friendly models. In a two hero game you can get away with not tracking, but once you start a five hero game it really becomes to much mental effort to making sure you are not double activating some insignificant minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now use cheap buttons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As mentioned here, I use Alea Tools markers, they work wonders.

We play at work over lunch and games usually take weeks so keeping track of who has acted is pretty essential. This makes it incredibly easy to track which figures have acted and I also use red markers for hit points.

These things are seriously a life saver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krulz wrote:

This has worked for us very well! To make it even easier, I painted a small bright dot on the back of each base to make it even easier to tell which way they are facing.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.