Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » News

Subject: ONLINE and PBEM PLAY NOW POSSIBLE: Eclipse Vassal module available! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eclipse vassal module just entered open beta stage and is now available to public from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Eclipse.

Although still in beta stage and in need of some polishing and perhaps some automation, the module is fully playable and provides an excellent way to get Eclipse on table with some distant friends.

Big thanks to Touko and Sampo for giving permission to make and distribute this freely. They also provided me with original game graphics.

All ideas on how to improve the module, bug reports etc. can be sent directly to me. Also will accept offers of help on how to do some more advanced things in Vassal or how to polish graphics a bit (my photoshopping skills are far below average).

Disclaimer: Supernova expansion not yet implemented, will follow at some stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kantti wrote:
Eclipse vassal module just entered open beta stage and is now available to public from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Eclipse.

Although still in beta stage and in need of some polishing and perhaps some automation, the module is fully playable and provides an excellent way to get Eclipse on table with some distant friends.

Big thanks to Touko and Sampo for giving permission to make and distribute this freely. They also provided me with original game graphics.

All ideas on how to improve the module, bug reports etc. can be sent directly to me. Also will accept offers of help on how to do some more advanced things in Vassal or how to polish graphics a bit (my photoshopping skills are far below average).

Disclaimer: Supernova expansion not yet implemented, will follow at some stage.

Looks good .

Can you play this vs KI or do you need to find some other human players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vassal doesn't provide any rules enforcement or AI. It is best described as virtual gaming table and game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. Played a couple of games and was waiting for something like this.

Anyone interested in a 3+ player game, geekmail me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this more like "real time" play or PBEM where you don't need to actively sit on the comp for the whole game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vassal is suited for both (it can create logs on what player did and you can send savefile to next one), but Eclipse is far better suited for online-play in real-time with skype or teamspeak etc. offering communication channel. Vassal has also chat function, but naturally some communications program handles it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great news, thanks for making it and putting it online so quickly after permission (and a big thank you to the Eclipse developers!).
It seems I need at least 3 monitors with this game; 1 for the star system hexes, 1 for my player board and one for the rest. Fortunately I've got an iPad which I can use as a wireless display (Air Display app) for the technologies & discovery etc. board.
At the moment me and my friends are learning the boardgame itself, each evening (3 now) progressing a round further then before. Just now we figured out we do the battle rounds at the end of the round and not after the move/explore action... but we’re getting there and enjoying ourselves. To get more experience perhaps someone at my level or above is willing to play with me through Vassal? I've got a basic grasp of the rules, just little gaming experience, Vassal is ideal for gaining this - not to mention that it's a very nice game to play. Just PM me with some dates, I’m from The Netherlands and prefer to use Skype, Murmur or Google Hangout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Three monitors would certainly help. modest As in real life, big games such as Eclipse require also lot of virtual table space. Luckily all information is not needed constantly and those windows/boxes can be closed and re-opened when needed. Still, I would recommend fullHD resolution screen for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Cool, thanks for working on this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Levty
msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome news! Finally a chance to play the game more often than once every few weeks. Now just to find a willing group of online players to see how long a game takes via the Internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Hanus
Germany
Büttelborn
flag msg tools
GAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for working this out and also thanks to the authors for their permission. Now with a little spit and polish this could become quite great for the time between local sessions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now start with online gaming

piece of art man!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some feedback:

Played it yesterday. I wondered why some hex could be flipped clockwise and others not.

It would be good, if the ancient ships would be put on the draw piles area. Usually you draw the hex, put the discovery token on it an very often you have to place an ancient as well.

I realized that the supernova expansion isn't included. Any plans for this?

Otherwise it's a great module!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems some thing went broken when Vassal was updated to 3.18 (and bulk of the module was developed in pre 3.18 versions). To fix hex flipping and reputation tiles visible to all players, version 1.2 of the module has been published on http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Eclipse. Please get the latest version!

Got awesome feedback and ideas on how to develop the module! Keep it coming! Hope you all enjoy.

Changes:

*Major effort by [R-DEV]Spearhead on improving graphics, especially previously badly captured hex graphics. Thank you very much!
*Fixed a bug that allowed people to see other players reputation tiles.
*Replaced some texts on toolbar with icons to save space.
*Dice function now in more intuitive way without confusing extra options.
*Scoreboard can now be used, alhtough with no automation.
*Reporting of piece movements improved and made more detailed especially concerning population cube movement. This enables players to track from log which cube came from what track if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That was fast! Thanks!

The scoreboard is useful, but the dice are sooo cooooool! That makes fighting more fun.

I figured out that I can simply draw several ancients to the drawpile, when I enlarge the window. That way all you need to place new systems are in one window, which makes things far faster and easier, when playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tested the module some yesterday. Some suggestions:

* Set the default zoom to something further out. On startup, the player board takes up my whole screen, so it's really hard to move a piece from by board to the map. Not all of us have dual-monitors.
* For Sector III hexes, add a function for Rotate CW like the Sector I and II hexes.
* An automation that moves influence discs from the action track and unflips colony ships would be nice. Handling Graveyard might need to be done manually.
* Moving the ancients so they're on the same board as the development tiles would be nice. Either that, or add functionality that allows you to add a development tile and/or ancient onto the hex.

Thanks for the awesome module!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Levty
msg tools
mbmbmb
I played one game and it seems to work really well. The only thing I could really ask for is setting the tile around the galactic centre to accept only type I hexes and the ring around those only type II and starting ones. Have no idea if this can be done but in our game there was one mistake that resulted in a III hex in the II ring, with us noticing only after the game.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in a game tonight (18 I), we're having one at about 8 pm CET. There are 2-4 players (two aren't 100% sure to come) but if anyone else is willing to play, they're welcome. All you have to do is meet us on the vassal server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of suggestions. I'm copying from the Readme here...

Quote:
To change a player board to its alien side, just shift+right click the playing board.

One alternative that might be a little more obvious is to put a button in each player window's toolbar that fires a Global Key Command to flip the player mat over (although it works just fine as-is).

Quote:
Sometimes (especially with pre 3.18 version of vassal) only the player drawing a discovery tile from the deck and placing it on board can later flip it. Ask your friend to do it for you if needed! If someone knows how to fix this, please inform me!

This is caused by VASSAL's ownership model for items taken from a deck. It's assumed that the discovery tile belongs to whoever drew it, that's why the actions are hidden from other players. You can change the global option "Allow non-owners to unmask pieces" from Never to Always to get around it.

Some general suggestions: I don't recommend using Shift-(letter) as a key command, because sometimes I've seen commands get fired accidentally if someone types the matching capital letter in the chat window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for good suggestions all!

I'll take notes on them and apply as many as them as possible in next update even if the update won't be coming as fast as the first update.

Concerning initial zoom-level, it really is a double-edged sword. I agree that Eclipse really benefits from FullHD screens and is designed for such. As they're becoming more or less standard in tabletop computers I decided to keep zoom levels suitable for them. This leaves smaller screen users to manually zoom farther in the beginning. If initial zoom-level would be toggled more suitable for smaller resolutions, those FullHD (or multiscreen) owners would have to zoom in in the beginning. Somebody has to do some manual adjusting, I hope I chose right when setting those levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions:
1. Replace resourse tracks with numeric counters. Or add counters and connect their functionality with tracks.
2. Hide "Draw Piles" window (delete the button). All actions such as draw and discard make through right click. For example draw of hexes can make through buttons in every empty hexes on main board.
3. Make discards. Hide them in resource (Draw Piles) window. Allow view discards (and draw piles) through Game Piece Inventory window.
4. Add button to automatic draw of techs.
5. Add button to automatic upkeep and cleanup.
6. Hide all players board in one submenu. Make another button to hide/view your own board.
7. Make automatic setup buttons according to number of players. Submenu - > setup for concrete player number. It would draw beginning techs and make definite deck of hexes III.
8. Make buttons (in Main and Players' windows) to show/hide pieces.
9. Add to log draw and discard/destroy actions. If would be possible - add to log flip action.
10. Make face-up decks instead of various stacks (available techs for example). It is inconvinient to explode stacks each time you would to draw one piece. Next to each decks show numbers of the remaining pieces.
11. May be make Game Piece Inventory window "Available techs".
11. Automatic scoring.

All it is - possible. I can help accomplish this functionality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your suggestions. Many of those have been implemented in update that was just launched. See http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8361771#8361771 for details!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luis dlc
Panama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
I know it's YEARS since the last post on this thread.

I have just recently downloaded this vassal mod. (Until now I had the luck to always be able to play the non digital game).

I find it awesome.

But I couldn't help reading the planned upgrades on the help text and on the modules download page (version 1.5.3).

Is this project abandoned? Is the love for the mod over?

Could someone else pick up the project and continue with the upgrades?

(note: I use "upgrades" instead of "updates", because I don't think this needs updating as in fixing things, just upgrading as in just improving something.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Jarvinen
msg tools
Major update for Vassal Engine is now available. This release includes all official extensions:

Rise of the Ancients
Shadow of the Rift
Black Hole
Nebula
Pulsar
Ship Pack One
Supernova 2

I also modified existing game mechanics in addtion to developing completely new things to cover the extensions. Some pics are not picture perfect but I hope you will enjoy it as much as our test group did.

Sami

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.