LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do or do not, there is no try.
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure: my wife paints well. She painted larger dolls for a few years (Tonner, for those into fashion dolls whistle ).

I was fortunate to get the Wrath of Ashardalon this last summer as a reward! I showed her some of what had been done here and she said that it looked like fun!

She already had brushes, spray-on primer, and matte sealer, so she helped me look at paint and we decided to use Vallejo. We found some somewhere and took off!

We decided to 'practice' with The aMAZEing Labyrinth guys and then progress to the Wrath of Ashardalon figures.

While we were painting the Labyrinth figures, we thought it would be cool to paint the Shadows Over Camelot figures as a gift to my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas. They play board games too, and especially enjoy Defenders of the Realm.

Some turned out better than others, but overall, we were pleased at the result.

It was a lot of work, but it was fun to spend time together, too!

Now on to Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, and then back to paint OUR copy of Shadows Over Camelot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you tell me what techniques you used on these?

I'm collecting materials right now to do my first ever painting project (starting with Ghost Stories I think), and if I can do half as good as this I'll be very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mildthrill wrote:
Could you tell me what techniques you used on these?

I'm collecting materials right now to do my first ever painting project (starting with Ghost Stories I think), and if I can do half as good as this I'll be very happy.

Sure!

I took the figures and sprayed them with a spray primer. If you look closely at the Labyrinth figures, you will see little bubbles that look like remnants of burst bubbles. That was from the primer. They didn't appear immediately after application, it happened while it was drying. I'm sure someone here knows more about it, but I think I applied it too heavily. That's why we practiced on them first!

The Shadows figures I went much lighter on the primer. I put them on cardboard and moved the primer quickly, about 2 feet per second. After I made a pass, I would let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then make another pass without changing the position of the figures. I did face down first, to make sure the same thing wasn't happening, then face up. I made 6-8 passes in each (face-up/face-down) position.

I let that dry for a few days.

Then started painting... With different figures we tried different things, but here is some of what we learned. Again, I'm sure there are more efficient painters out there, but this is what we did.

After priming, we applied blocks of color to the large segments - armor, leather, etc - first. No detail yet. Then we did the skin, which is usually the deepest layer. We did this so that if we hit more superficial structures it could be painted over. We learned this pretty quickly. Otherwise, if you start out and go deep, you hit finished structures and either have to remove the paint quickly with your 'eraser' brush, or repaint the area - both carry risk.

Skin is a topic unto itself, but the key to skin (a lot of this comes from my wife) is to use pink to give the flesh a living look. A little red in the cheeks, lips, ears, knuckles, and areas that are highlighted, like the top of a flexed knee, for example.

When possible, we would use a highlight and a low light. For variegated structures, like the cloaks, this is amplified. There are different strategies to accomplish this - using 'wet' paint (more liquidy) or over painting and then 'erasing' to blur the border are the two most common that we used.

If you have no brushes yet, I would look around and see what folks are using. From our experience, though, I would have no reservation in recommending Scharff Series 3000 Fine line 3/0 for the majority of your work. My wife tells me that the higher the X/0 the finer the tip. I learned that the fine tipped brushes don't carry that much paint, though, so you have to re-dip a bunch. This brush comes to a nice, fine point and has decent paint load capacity.

The second most important brush, I think, is the 'eraser' brush. Not having painted before, I thought that you put paint on a figure and left it there. You can get good blending and good detail this way. This brush should be stiffer. A synthetic fiber is what we have and it worked pretty well. We used a pretty cheap, craft store type brush for that - American Painter 4000 Round - I can't tell the size, it's rubbed off, but it's a lot larger.

To save time, a flat brush is good for base coating, too.

We read a lot about basecoating and the using washes. That produces pretty good results, but we were looking for a little more detail.

I will say, however, that the color we used the most was a brown wash called smoke. It worked well for shadows and to bring out detail of leather, wood, and bronze metal.

Something else that I wouldn't have thought much about, but my wife kept coming back to, is to find pictures that you like to broaden the scope of what you would consider when painting a figure. We looked at a bunch of figures, not only from the game we were painting, but around the web, for ideas about metals, leather, glowing things, etc.

For example, if you look at the Grail and Lancelot's armor, you will see little gems. We read a little tutorial about how light travels through gems, with the inferior portion of the gem being lit and the superior portion of the gem being dark, with a standard highlight, and it worked really nicely (my wife painted those...). I never would have thought of that on my own.

From there, it's all elbow grease!

It was really slow painting initially. The first figure I painted (the yellow witch) took ~8 hrs. The good news is that it comes with practice. I was able to paint the four Saxons in a half day near the completion of the set. On average, though, we spent several hours on each one over several evenings.

The main thing is to not get discouraged and be patient!

Good luck and, more importantly, have fun!

Edit:

I forgot to mention sealing. We first used a paint-on matte sealer, but found it still a bit too glossy, so used Dulcoat. Maybe there's a better strategy on this one. They still have a bit more gloss than I'd prefer. I'm comparing to what it looks like with the flat paint right before sealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
High quality work - great job!

I especially enjoyed the Labyrinth figures.

Joseph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
High quality work - great job!

I especially enjoyed the Labyrinth figures.

Joseph

Thanks!

modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome painting, many thanks for sharing.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! thanks for the tips. The figures look awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do hate Shadows over Camelot, seriously, but you made a great paint job with the characters

You have HUGE skills if those are your first painting surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job with the tartans! And I love the marbling effect on the grail, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
MystElden wrote:

While we were painting the Labyrinth figures, we thought it would be cool to paint the Shadows Over Camelot figures as a gift to my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas. They play board games too, and especially enjoy Defenders of the Realm.

So do you paint your copy of the figures and then give them to the person asking that they give you their old ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
MystElden wrote:

So do you paint your copy of the figures and then give them to the person asking that they give you their old ones?

Nope. We gave him the game with the painted figures. A surprise all the way around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Alejandro Godoy Riera
Venezuela
flag msg tools
I dont know why you hate shadows... its amazing, you just dont know how to win it... patience my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Alejandro Godoy Riera
Venezuela
flag msg tools
I dont know why you hate shadows... its amazing, you just dont know how to win it... patience my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.