Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A wee bit of background first. Was playing Rivals for Catan with Mrs Jester over the weekend. Was struggling to build something which would have been nice. Played the wise woman card and picked the sheep I needed. Then had to roll the event dice, rolled bandits which (ta da) stole my sheep. Grrrrrr.
Mrs Jester had strength superiority so when I turned over a ? card she got to destroy three of my buildings. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Still having strength superiority, she turns over a card which lets her steal my resources. Snagging fragging rashallishtics Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Naturally at this point I'm slamming the table and throwing a sulk and threatening to sell this stupid good for nothing game.

Please tell me I'm not alone in temper tantrums when everything goes against me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Games Where Some Guy Just Totally Flipped Out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure, you are not alone, but I am not one who gets mad when loosing board games, even if by long streaks of bad luck.

I definitely know what you mean, though. When I am playing a video game against the CPU, then I get frustrated like this. With face to face board games, though, I'm just enjoying the game. I try my best to win, but don't stress about it.

Plus, a run of luck like that give an excuse for why you lost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think boardgames are the adequate surface for sex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
It might be a symptom of the game - I've never played the game that you're describing, but if a game arbitrarily punished the player that is behind and rewards the lead player based on, literally, luck of the draw... perhaps you need a new game.

Luck-fests frustrate me as well... that is why I rarely play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jester Wales wrote:
Please tell me I'm not alone in temper tantrums when everything goes against me.

I've seen this happen...with 3 year olds...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone! This game has drawn out a similar reaction out of me. Things just started to go against me. The dice never gave me the resouces I needed, then as soon as I had resources I somehow lost them. I spent several turns building up towards buying a building only to have everything taken away. Very frustrating! I haven't played since then yet. I have nerver in my life reacted so strongly to losing a game. So I'm going to blame the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Must be Catan games in general actually. I was thinking back to the last time I threw an almighty pwdi over a game and it was Settlers.
Three oiks trading nicely among themselves and giving me nothing, bandits robbing me, them laughing their socks off at how frustrated I'm getting.

Curse you Catan. You bring out the worst in me. And San Juan, why do I shower these games with such affection when they turn around and cut out my heart with a spoon? A SPOON!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one of my buddies who I play with does this. hits the table/wall or whatever.its cool as long as you dont upset teh board and move on quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only time I can remember struggling to repress emotions playing a game was when someone spilled water on it. It's just a game, I don't get emotionally invested in the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.