Archon286 Brad
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Had my first game last night with two friends. They were President Roslin and Admiral Will Adama, I was Starbuck.

The game was going well, if a bit easy. All three players were working well together, and XO's flew around. Then, we failed our first skill check. A third bad card had been thrown in the pot, so we all knew it wasn't the destiny deck. If there was a cylon he was being incredibly helpful. Whoever it was had saved the fleet multiple times. We had been in quite a few tight spots, and everyone had done their part. Maybe someone accidentally put that card in there I thought, it was still pre-sleeper.

Then, the accusation came, but not where I expected. "You're a frakking toaster." The Admiral said to me. I replied incredulously "The bad card was green, I've been drawing blue to repair the vipers!" His counter argument was undeniable. "Sounds like something a Toaster would say. You're lucky I can't throw you in the brig." The president refused to take sides, but it seemed like a baseless accusation like that would only come from a cylon. I now had my suspicions.

The game continued to 4 distance. Sleeper cards were dealt, and a peep was not made. as we worked to our next jump, we got in A LOT of trouble. Every cylon ship was placed on the board. Civilian ships had been pulled into a group of SEVEN ships in front of a launch tube being defended by 3 vipers. The other 5 were in need of repair, or destroyed. The hanger bay, command, and FTL were damaged, and I (starbuck) couldn't get off the frakkin' ship. We were one short of the -3 space on the jump track, and 5 population. The shit we were in was deep. I knew someone was the cylon as the president took his turn. He moved to FTL with the expectation the admiral would XO and SP him if I pulled a card with a jump icon on it. (pres had just used CP to get a repair card) I did.

Now, I was not fool. I KNEW this was the perfect time for the pres to reveal. Failure to jump would result in the loss of seven civvie ships, and we'd be done. but what choice did I have? I XO'd the president. He repaired the FTL, Admiral SP'd him, and the president pulled the trigger. We escaped. What the hell? Who was on the cylon's side?

Long story short, a few player turns later, the president revealed at an inconvenient time, and won the game within a few turns by finishing off the last bit of population. But the interesting part to me was to ask him "WHY THEN?" Why not at the three other points where we might have lost?

His response was "I've been cylon since the start of the game. I figured I had all night to feed you bad crisis cards. When a major crisis came, I did my part in order to stay hidden. I figured if we pulled it off, then I could kill you later. If we didn't I win anyways."

That son of a bitch. His first game, and he played us like fiddles. FWIW, I think I might have seen through it sooner if the admiral hadn't been calling me a toaster all night. That's my first game story, a good time was had by all!

--Edited for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Renaud
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. I just played a 5 player last night (humans lost at the last turn to pop.) but now I'm itching to play a 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archon286 Brad
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
We had a lot of fun as 3P. I think it would have been MUCH easier to figure out the prez was throwing bad crisis cards at us if I wasn't concentrating on defending my innocence to the Admiral.

It's ironic, I'm wishing we had at least one more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I played a 4-player game last night, after not having played for about one year. It was an insanely good time. BSG is a special game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up. That Cylon player is one to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archon286 Brad
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
CyberGarp wrote:
Great write up. That Cylon player is one to watch.

About half way through the game I remember looking at both of them and saying "Today, I'm going to learn a lot about how one of you lies." Boy, did I ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.