United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a copy of the 2nd edition of this game for the holidays. I have an opportunity to buy the two expansions (Clash and Storms) for dirt cheap. I know that the 2nd edition worked in some of the elements of these expansions in to the updated 2nd edition, but I was curious if this would be a wasted purchase. In essence, do the expansions work well with the updated game/do the card backs for House cards, etc. jive at all/do they add anything/any word of FFG reprinting these expansions any time soon?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Clash of Kings would be a waste of money -- the most popular elements of that expansion are already included in the 2nd edition.

Storm of Swords is almost a different game -- different map (blowup of central Westeros), 4 players, hostages, ally cards (Tyrell, Arryn, Frey). I don't think any elements of SoS are in the 2nd edition (somebody double check and correct me if I'm wrong, please).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
The 2nd edition is pretty much 1st edition with a selection of additions from both the expansions and some slight alterations, new house cards and the optional Tide of Battle cards, so I do not see why elements of the expansions that have not been incorporated into the 2nd edition should work with it any less than they did with the 1st edition.

As for details, if you go to the FFG website for the game, the Support section has not only a link to a PDF with the 2nd edition rules, but also a link to the archives where you can find PDFs with 1st edition rules including both editions, so you can check for yourself what those expansions add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the design and templating of the cards any different? (Like the backs, or fronts). I'm not even sure what if the base concepts are expounded in the expansions.

I apprec the info thus far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the cards look different (front and back) -- you wouldn't really be able to mix and match...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure there is an updated expansion for GoT on the horizon as well. I really wanted to pick these up, too. So there is no way to easily integrate them into the mix with the updated edition? Or, in other words, there would be no seamless way to include them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coldwinter
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab the storm of swords expansion. It has truly a different feel from the original game and it plays wonderfull at 4 players. The new map and some new mechanics are worth it. It's like a new game using parts and bits from the base game.

Clash of Kings it's mostly worthless for the 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roftie
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/741076/question-about-1st-ed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see these going for astronomical prices online, which makes me almost wanna buy them to hold on to. Granted, they can (and in the instance of the one absorbed into the 2nd Ed.) be rendered moot. That said, is there anything worth obtaining for the one absorbed into 2nd Ed.?

And, just to clarify, the Westeros Phase cards and House cards... there are some in the expansions? But they have different templates and backs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
And, just to clarify, the Westeros Phase cards and House cards... there are some in the expansions? But they have different templates and backs?

Yes, and Yes.

They also have different text -- different effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
I see these going for astronomical prices online, which makes me almost wanna buy them to hold on to. Granted, they can (and in the instance of the one absorbed into the 2nd Ed.) be rendered moot. That said, is there anything worth obtaining for the one absorbed into 2nd Ed.?

You will never mix and match cards from different sets, anyway, so the different backs you're concerned about are irrelevant.

The 1st edition had 3 distinct sets of house cards--base game, Clash of Kings (COK), and Storm of Swords (SOS). It also had 2 distinct sets of Westeros Cards--base game and SOS. (I don't believe COK had a House Card set.) You are specifically instructed NEVER to mix and match these different sets. If you're using the SOS board, or using certain elements of the SOS game (e.g. Leaders), you exclusively use the SOS House Cards and SOS Westeros Cards. So don't worry about different card backs--it's all or nothing.

I will also chime in to pass on COK, unless you think you can flip it for profit. Here's what you'll get in COK: a different set of House Cards that range up to 5 strength (more variety but more uneven), some one-time-use special orders like Muster, and a new game mechanic called Fortifications (basically, when you successfully consolidate power, you may choose to instead fortify the region to give it +1 defense). The special orders orders are an interesting option, but are they worth what people are charging? And I think the rules specifically forbid using some of them with leaders (see below). If you really want the Fortifications, just get the rules from the PDF rulebook and use some other chit to denote the fortified area. The House Cards alone aren't worth it, and everything else in there is already added into the 2nd Ed. (Correct me if I'm forgetting anything!)

Depending on the price, I HIGHLY recommend SOS. It offers a strong new 4-player map, focusing on the Riverlands and the 4 northern powers: Stark, Greyjoy, Lannister, Baratheon. Given the balance issues so many people are bringing up in the 2nd Ed. 4-player experience, I think it's worth it for that alone. And it has some interesting mechanics. There is no wildling threat, but there are intermittent rains of autumn that make certain river regions impassible. And you can enlist the aid of House Frey, House Tyrell, House Arryn, and the Brotherhood Without Banners through special Ally Cards, which give you a variety of benefits from additional leaders/armies to immediate claim over Westeros. (These cards are not incorporate in base game/2nd Ed. maps, and are exclusively useable on the SOS map.)

On top of that, you get more options for use in either the SOS map or the full Westeros map. Leaders: each house has 2 leaders (e.g. Ned and Robb Stark), units that march with armies and add strength without affecting supply. Leaders can be captured by enemy armies, which can lead to hostage negotiations, prisoner exchanges, rescue missions, and even executions. And there are leaders for all 6 houses, not just the 4 in the SOS board.

And there are Tactics Cards. These add another wrinkle to planning. Players secretly choose a Tactic while assigning orders, and reveal them with their orders for the turn. These are global effects. Do you hold enemy leader hostages captive? Play Secure Hostages and steal 2 power from each enemy whose leaders you hold. (Or if someone has your leader, play Secure Hostages and defeat them on the battlefield to rescue the leader!) Are you primed to assault an enemy stronghold? Play Control Westeros and get a +1 on all attacks against Castles or Strongholds. (As an added bonus, you'll get a +1 in all influence track bidding if the Game of Thrones Westeros Card comes up!) There are 7-8 of these to choose from.

Leaders and Tactics Cards should incorporate well into the 2nd Ed. map, though I haven't done that yet. And if you are ever in a position to play a 4-player game, ditch the 2nd Ed. map in favor of the SOS map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
I will also chime in to pass on COK,

I would too, if the cost was near retail, but he did say "dirt cheap". There are bits that might be of a little interest or use. The fortification markers, the alternate cards, sets of three siege engines (as opposed to the two found in the new edition). It really depends on just how cheap. I'd pay at least my pocket change for those bits.

Really cheap first edition AGOT sets could still be worth buying too, just to get an alternate board that is probably more balanced when playing with five players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get em both of these for half of their original retail. Does that make CoK worth purchasing? The special order tokens sound neat, but my concern is that the designs are different, so they don't easily integrate/they look too different. What's the point in order tokens if you can tell they're different? So, with the minimal cost in mind, is this worth it?

I apprec all the help, guys! Very awesome of you!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Action Phase wrote:
The special order tokens sound neat, but my concern is that the designs are different, so they don't easily integrate/they look too different.

They're square. They look different to the standard order tokens in either edition, and are designed to be recognisably different.

ASOS is definitely worth purchasing at half retail. ACOK... well, that depends on what retail is in your area. Half retail where I am is still a pretty decent cost, but it's probably less in the USA. It's iffy. I wouldn't say for sure that you should or you shouldn't buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
I can get em both of these for half of their original retail. Does that make CoK worth purchasing? The special order tokens sound neat, but my concern is that the designs are different, so they don't easily integrate/they look too different. What's the point in order tokens if you can tell they're different? So, with the minimal cost in mind, is this worth it?

I apprec all the help, guys! Very awesome of you!!!

The different looks in any components you harvest from the 1st edition will never cause an issue, unless you're super-anal about aesthetics and everything matching 100% perfectly. When you add something from an expansion, it's a new element that is either a unique, self-contained addition (e.g. special 1-time orders) or just plain replaces an old game element (e.g. a replacement set of house cards). And even then it won't look bad--you'll just have wooden fortifications with marbled plastic troops, and a slightly different tint and design to your special 1-time order chits as compared to your regular order chits.

For 1/2 retail price I'd either say you're being hustled, or that's one damn good deal. I'd bite on both. Congrats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being hustled. A friend of mine moved overseas and can't be bothered to deal with liquidating them, so he offered them to me for 1/2 off retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
Action Phase wrote:
The special order tokens sound neat, but my concern is that the designs are different, so they don't easily integrate/they look too different.

They're square. They look different to the standard order tokens in either edition, and are designed to be recognisably different.

ASOS is definitely worth purchasing at half retail. ACOK... well, that depends on what retail is in your area. Half retail where I am is still a pretty decent cost, but it's probably less in the USA. It's iffy. I wouldn't say for sure that you should or you shouldn't buy it.

1/2 off original retail, so $20 US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JayhawkCO JayhawkCO
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Bumping an old thread for some questions. Normally our group plays with four players, so I had been investigating getting A Storm of Swords. I finally bit the bullet and paid a bit through the nose online, but it's on the way. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but was curious what you all thought about adding some of the components from SoS into the 2nd edition game. Specifically, would it be possible/fun to add leaders and tactics cards to a 4-person 2nd edition game? Obviously a couple of the tactics cards would have to be removed (since no one is going for claim or ally cards), but would any other modifications have to take place? I haven't seen a list of the Westeros III cards that is for the base 1st edition game, but I thought if we used that, it might all fit together and add another layer of complexity to the 2nd edition.

Thoughts?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASOS has rules for how to use its components on the base map which will work in 2nd edition just like first.

There is an alternate version of the Forge Alliances cards to be used on the base game map. The alternate Westeros III deck for the base map is almost identical to the 2nd edition deck III, except that the no support orders card is replaced with another no march +1, (and the no march+1 also triggers the execution of hostages).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing, one of the modifications was to use stronger neutral forces when playing with leaders, but tokens will only be provided for the three 1st edition neutral forces: Eyrie, King's Landing, and Sunspear. If you don't already have a houserule to boost the extra neutral tokens you will definately want to boost them in a 4/5 player game with leaders on the base map.

Also, I think they left the name off of the replacement neutral tokens in Storm of Swords and I'm not sure if the art matches 2nd edition neutrals. They are just one point stronger than the tokens they replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JayhawkCO JayhawkCO
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies dypaca. As to the neutral forces, when we play four player, we generally close off the South to prevent the Baratheon Southern Siege Engine Express, so that shouldn't affect things too much.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...

Where the hell are the expansions for Second Edition??

I mean, expansions that aren't riddled with spoiler related issues (yes, I'm looking at you, Dances with Dragons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.