Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I have to say this is one of the best (if not THE best) rulebooks I've had the pleasure to read - along with a GREAT game!

But, alas, I have a Depletion question - the rule book does give an excellent example of - however:

1) What if there are 2+ tokens there - of the same element?
2) Of different elements?

The rules example show 1 token, 1 element = exactly 1 token of that element removed from the board.

Thanks in advance if this has already been asked/answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ishai BD
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depletion is unlike Wasteland, in which players who take the action remove elements from that box so that all elements remaining in that box affect the earth.

In Depletion that player who places his AP gets to pick one element on earth (a single small disk) and remove it. That element must match one of the elements in the depletion box.

If you have 2+ tokens of the same element in the depletion box, you still can remove such an element (and only one) from earth. If you have different elements you can choose one matching element on earth (matching only one of the elements in the box, of course).

HTH,
Ishai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the rules refer to more than one element then the wording 'element type' is used. So using the word 'element' means just one disc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
So let's say two grass elements were in Wasteland. If I wanted to save grass, would it be impossible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
gmbalbee wrote:
So let's say two grass elements were in Wasteland. If I wanted to save grass, would it be impossible?

Yes. It would have been possible to preempt this possibility by getting one or both of those grass discs out on earth when they were still in the Abundance section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad, thank you!! I consider myself a rules guru and then I foolishly found myself in that situation. I'm not too great at playing the Insects...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
To my mind, Abundance is the overall best action, for the simple reason that it can sometimes effectively be two or more actions at once: (1) get your preferred element into play; (2) not have to spend an AP to save that element when it drops into Wasteland; and (3) not have to worry about losing one of that element when it drops into Depletion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ishaibd wrote:

If you have 2+ tokens of the same element in the depletion box, you still can remove such an element (and only one) from earth. If you have different elements you can choose one matching element on earth (matching only one of the elements in the box, of course).

HTH,
Ishai

So, basically, no matter how many element discs are in the Depletion Box - at the end of the day only ONE Element Disc will be removed from the board.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Correct.

Oh really? And exactly why do YOU feel so confident about it Mr. One Word Answer? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, call it BGG etiquette, but, when the actual Board Game designer replies to one of your questions - now matter how much you disagree - you give them a BIG thumbs-up and quietly close the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercom wrote:
Ha, call it BGG etiquette, but, when the actual Board Game designer replies to one of your questions - now matter how much you disagree - you give them a BIG thumbs-up and quietly close the subject.

Chad already gives himself a BIG thumbs-up everytime he posts. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
mercom wrote:

Chad already gives himself a BIG thumbs-up everytime he posts. whistle

Someone has to laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xian blank
msg tools
mercom wrote:
First off, I have to say this is one of the best (if not THE best) rulebooks I've had the pleasure to read - along with a GREAT game!

I have to second this. Great rulebook.

I might be flawed by reading the rules for Republic of Rome before this one though :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xian1 wrote:
mercom wrote:

I have to second this. Great rulebook.

I had a game yesterday with 4 where we found ourselves discussing this exact question. I'm used to Combat Commander by Chad with very strict and precise rules (no room for interpretation), so I tried to read these rules exactly as written. But we got confused by the definitions here.

It would have helped a lot with a clear specification that the terms element and element disc mean the same thing, while element type refers to all elements of one type. This is sort of implied, but not precisely defined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.