Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] mr_boq [+] [View All]
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled across the quests variant on the Magic Realm Wiki (and elsewhere) - and was wondering if someone had constructed some good looking cards for the quests.

Also - is there any general concensus for the ups and downs on playing this variant (which looks like it's been around for quite some time).

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
I assume you are referring to Jay Richardson's Book of Quests variant found at Nand's awesome Magic Realm site.
http://www.nand.it/mr/
I don't know of any Quest Cards.

In the Introduction, Jay provides a little essay on the inspiration behind the creation of the variant. I have played a few quests and thoroughly enjoyed them. I was using a double Magic Realm and the optional combat rules, which I believe is the setup the Quests were originally designed for.

Two aspects I like are pretty obvious. The first is starting with different equipment and hirelings. The second is having different objectives that don't necessarily involve killing and looting. Lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, these are the quests I was referring to.

Thanks for your thoughts - I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Here's an entertaining session report on a game played using the Book of Quests which will give you an idea of what to expect if you try it:

My Daughters and I go Questing in the Realm
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/633165/my-daughters-and-...

I check these MR forums daily, so I'll be glad to answer any questions that you might have.

Hector Flores wrote:
Also - is there any general concensus for the ups and downs on playing this variant (which looks like it's been around for quite some time).

If you don't mind the complexity it adds, the Book of Quests variant works quite well in FtF games. Lack of play balance is the main problem that we never found a good solution for while we were developing the Quests: occasionally a player will get an exceedingly easy win. But, based on our playtesting records, I'd estimate that the chance of this happening is probably around 1% to 2%... and that's not too bad of a failure rate for a complicated variant like this.

Quest games also take somewhat longer to play: they can often last for five or six weeks of game time, while the standard game only lasts four weeks.

It's true that the Book of Quests was originally developed for use with a double board and most of the optional rules, including the Optional Combat Rules. But I've gone through the Quests and modified them so that most of them should work acceptably with a single board and the standard combat rules. Quests that simply must have a double map, or the Optional Combat Rules, in order to work properly have been clearly marked so that you can avoid them if you are not using those options.

The Book of Quests has been less successful when it has been used in big online PBEM games run by a GameMaster. The relative isolation of the players in a PBEM game, and the subsequent lack of table chatter, seems to make it much harder for players to follow the progress of their opponents' Quests. The large number of players that these PBEM games attract is also a detriment, as it appears that the "sweet spot" for a Book of Quests game is to have three to five Quests in play. With more than that, there's just too much going on... the players can get overwhelmed to the point where they simply don't care what the other players are doing.

The Book of Quests does not work at all with the RealmSpeak Java computer implementation of Magic Realm. RealmSpeak developer Robin Warren has confirmed to me that adding full support for the Book of Quests to RealmSpeak would be a programmer's nightmare due to the huge variety of changes a Quest can make to the way that Magic Realm plays. However, Robin has been working on adding a limited form of the Book of Quests to RealmSpeak. This RealmSpeak addition won't offer all of the features found in the Book of Quests, and it will likely only support relatively simple Quests, but it will still be interesting to see what he eventually comes up with.

I've been working on an updated version of the Book of Quests for quite some time now, and when it's finished it will be posted here on BGG. This new version probably won't contain any new Quests, but it will fully compatible with the now-standard 3.1 edition of the Magic Realm rules, and I've added a tremendous amount of support material that should make easier to learn, understand, and use the Book of Quests system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
I've been working on an updated version of the Book of Quests for quite some time now, and when it's finished it will be posted here on BGG. This new version probably won't contain any new Quests, but it will fully compatible with the now-standard 3.1 edition of the Magic Realm rules, and I've added a tremendous amount of support material that should make easier to learn, understand, and use the Book of Quests system.

Awesome, I'll keep a lookout for this.

I'll let you know how it goes (maybe with a colorful session report!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Decker
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a "sneak peak" at the updated, legendary, and wonderfully elegant Book of Quests. It should be appearing here shortly, courtesy of that diligent scribe, Jay Richardson.

In my humble opinion (IMHO) The Book of Quests does more to invigorate and revise this wonderful game system than an entirely new game on the subject could ever hope to achieve.

Download it as soon as you can, and play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb

Really looking forward to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Further down in the list of variants is this post from me from 3 years ago.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/383473/questing-the-real...

This variant is an attempt to break down components of the Book of Quests into a set of quest cards that can be used in regular gameplay to create an alternate set of victory conditions for your character based on completing a hand of quests of various points and complexities. You can play to most points within a timeframe, or as sudden death to a predetermined amount of points.

Robin Warren and I have been playtesting a beta version of Realmspeak over the past year that incorporates an updated version of this variant using Robin's new quest building feature. I hope to see the beta version of Realmspeak with questing to be released sometime this year, but I have no information at this time as to when that might happen.

Steve Schacher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.