United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this worth purchasing now that second edition base game is out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, no. The more popular elements of Clash of Kings (Ports, Siege Engines, Six Players including Martell, Three Players) are already included in the 2nd Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing you would get over what you now have is another set of house cards and 9 wooden forts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ross
United States
Mt. Vernon
Missouri
flag msg tools
So if I have the first edition am I better off trying to sell it and buying the second edition or should I just buy this expansion so that it gets me "up to date" if u will with the second edition?
Is the second edition that much better? I looked at the expansion for the second edition and it looks pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nross1321jross wrote:
I looked at the expansion for the second edition and it looks pretty sweet.

There is no expansion for the second edition. Both Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords are expansions for the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:
nross1321jross wrote:
I looked at the expansion for the second edition and it looks pretty sweet.

There is no expansion for the second edition. Both Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords are expansions for the first edition.

There is a Dance with Dragons expansion for the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha - I guess I wasn't considering it an "expansion" as much as an "alternate". It doesn't add anything to the base game - just changes setup and house cards.

Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords really DID expand the game -- new pieces, new rules, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nross1321jross wrote:
So if I have the first edition am I better off trying to sell it and buying the second edition or should I just buy this expansion so that it gets me "up to date" if u will with the second edition?
Is the second edition that much better? I looked at the expansion for the second edition and it looks pretty sweet.

So to try to answer your question, here is a thread where I list the component changes: Adapting 1st edition for 2nd edition play

If money is no object, I would just buy second edition. If you have access to a cheap copy of Clash of Kings, then it is probably close enough.

Holding on to your first edition copy would be nice if you plan on playing 5 player games. Clash of Kings would also give you some additional options like the one time orders and fortifications, if you like those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ross
United States
Mt. Vernon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info.
This is what I'm looking at:
If I buy both of the expansions for the 1st edition it's going to cost me $110+
If I buy the second edition and the expansion for it it's about $50. Half the price if the second edition already has expansion parts from the first edition.

Therefore I'm leaning towards buying the cheaper way (2nd edition plus dragons expansion) then I still have the first edition if I don't like it.

Sounds reasonable doesn't it. Would there be some reason I should not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm guessing the expensive portion of that 110+ is Storm of Swords. This is a great expansion, most of which was not put into 2nd edition.

If you are going to play mostly 6 player games, then 2nd edition and the dragons expansion are probably the way to go. First Edition plus Clash of Kings is very similar to 2nd edition, but 2nd edition is a bit nicer and Dance with Dragons will give you some variety.

If you are going to play alot of 4 player and are willing to spend some money, I would just get Storm of Swords. This adds alot of features like alliances with minor houses, Leaders on the map, and weather restricting your movement. Most of these can only be used on the special 4 player map though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.